No Man's Sky - Procedural space game

Associate
I'm not convinced it's really a game tbh but you will probably get 12+ hours before you realise it's pointless tech demo
It really is like marmite. There are people like you who aren't fans of these type of games, and then there are others who can't get enough of it putting in hundreds of hours.

My main reason for getting a Steam Deck was to play a handful of games I really like, and this is one of them. At the time of this writing, there are over 24,000+ positive Steam reviews with playtime of over 100+ hours. I think that's a pretty impressive tech demo! :)

One of the best reviews I read: No Man’s Sky is like a guy who owes you $1,000 from 6 years ago coming back with $10,000 to repay you after you thought the money was gone.

It's got such a following that people pitched in to do this:

And it's okay if you don't like it. That's cool. But there's a huge community out there that LOVE the game (myself included). I'm glad it exists, and I'm excited to see where Hello Games takes this procedural engine universe of theirs.

Last edited:
Caporegime
It really is like marmite. There are people like you who aren't fans of these type of games, and then there are others who can't get enough of it putting in hundreds of hours.

My main reason for getting a Steam Deck was to play a handful of games I really like, and this is one of them. At the time of this writing, there are over 24,000+ positive Steam reviews with playtime of over 100+ hours. I think that's a pretty impressive tech demo! :)
so whats the point of the game after you get the ship where you can send ships on missions etc?

Associate
so whats the point of the game after you get the ship where you can send ships on missions etc?
The point of the game is to explore. That's it. The journey is the point. It's a game you don't finish, at least not in the traditional sense.

The game's design is quite deep IMHO as the "shallow" storyline is interestingly somewhat parallel to humanity's story. The topic of us living in a simulation, right? NMS is like a significantly dumbed down version of our reality.

Don't worry if you don't get it, or maybe you do, and it just doesn't click with you. That's no problem at all.

But there are many who do (myself included).

There are many people who just want to explore. To have a game to wind down with. To relax and not stress with. Many people find that in this game.

Associate
I just don't see the point of exploring with no aim and no advancement
That's totally fine dude. No problem with that. We can say the same for some other sandbox games (Minecraft and Terraria are a couple of examples).

No Man's Sky is the closest game (IMHO) you get if all you want to do is to explore space.

You don't have to set a goal, but many others set their goal as having their "dream fleet" of spaceships, mothership, and frigates. As well as having a dozen bases custom built to their own taste. That alone would take dozens of hours to complete.

But just like how some people dislike metal music, or they prefer American country music, it's not for everyone.

Another factor for me personally, and this is with my amateur photographer hat on, this game is a WALLPAPER GENERATOR in of itself. Some samples:

c4Lcy9n.png

wOHhLCi.jpg

tneXyR5.png

strcXyO.png

LkqPj6n.png

Tf45c4i.png

bo6jKhS.png

1mtMGX3.jpg

It's just eye candy. And experiencing the journey, for many, that in it of itself is the reward.

Soldato
I've tried many time to click with this game but it just doesn't happen :(.

Wish it would as I love many aspects. I just restart each time, get the first ship, hop a few planets to roughly when you get introduced to base building then fall off.

It's a shame, it's clearly great.

Soldato
I found myself enjoying the game more than I already did when I stopped looking for a "main quest" or a structured form of progression.
I suppose there is one (?).
Instead I just do what I want, usually having a reasonable ship, vising planets, but mainly exploring them. Base building and enjoying cataloguing the flora and fauna.
It works for me, but like every other game it won't work for everyone, or out can work on different ways.
Some people need structure created for them within the games they play, others less so.

I bought my copy for £15 in a sale when the Atlas patch landed, well worth that, and much more.

Last edited:
Caporegime

I also have this issue, I wish there was a proper story to games like these. I had the same issue with elite and I have the same with subnautica. And while I feel the same about nms, I still think its a wonderful tech demo to view. A game at 14gb shouldn't look that good!

A full developed story, maybe a galactic war (star wars style) where you can choose how you support (join the rebellion and be forever hunted, poor and salvaging parts, speaking in code, visiting **** worlds to find weapons etc) and a proper ending - with the choice to carry on would be an ultimate game for me. Hopefully it progresses to that or the next iteration.

Associate
as of this minute 1879hrs in this game, More money than I know what to do with, Bases in 12 galaxies, I have achieved everything I can achieve but still play and can all ways find something to do whether its finding a new planet I need with a certain mineral I require or just visiting other peoples bases which are fantastic and I really dont know how they do it, there skills are far beyond mine lol. There are missions you can do from the nexus, you can meet up with friends and do missions, the things you can do are endless imho. Do I play all the time ...No.....but do i play when I want to yes...I play other games as well like pubg 1200hrs, World of tanks lost count of hours on this but NMS is all ways there when I want it. And it gets better with every update.

Back
Top Bottom