No Man's Sky - Procedural space game

Is there an issue with frame generation in NMS , just got a predator helios 18 with 4080rtx running at 1400p on ultra looks stuttery with this setting. Switch it off and it's much smoother. I'm new to rtx so just getting to grips with all the choices in settings. Is letting Geforce experience determine the graphics the best way to go?
They're engine is insufficiently threaded and it can't properly perform even under Vulkan and 7, 8 or whatever years. Still not optimal.

Yes, FG is not working as it could. Personally I use the frame limiter to 60fps and turn FG on since otherwise the frame rate can drop under 60fps. Normally I get like that 120fps frame locked and is pretty smooth. When it does drop under that it feels less bad than not using FG.

Playing with FG without a frame lock is a worse experience than with it off. At least on my end.

The advantage would be the preload, especially on a slower connection.
Surely that only affects a very small percentage of people who feel the need to play the game at one minute past midnight. It's not like it's hard just to start a download before you go to work.

I mean I don't disagree that it is an advantage of sorts in particular situations. It just seems a bit clutching at straws.

Last edited:
Surely that only affects a very small percentage of people who feel the need to play the game at one minute past midnight. It's not like it's hard just to start a download before you go to work.

I mean I don't disagree that it is an advantage of sorts in particular situations. It just seems a bit clutching at straws.
True. It can also be a purchase day one regardless of the quality of the game if, for one reason or another, is close to your heart. Plus, games aren't that expensive for gamers, in general, in relative rich countries.

If you want to forget and condone that behaviour that is your choice.

But part of the reason gaming is in the state it's in today is devs over promising and under delivering. Buyers have a hard time getting refunds for software as I'm sure you are aware, look at the Cyberpunk debacle.

Absolute, total rubbish.
Marketing, hype, and products not living up to it has been around for as long as the hills.
It's absolutely not new.

Cyberpunk, again on a fundamental level there wasn't much wrong with what was actually supplied, other than it didn't live up to the ridiculous hype levels and self-entitled expectations of some.....

Some people need to grow up and take responsibility for their choices.
If something you pre-orderded on the basis of marketing didn't live up to the hype, take a step back. You've not been scammed, just made a bad purchasing decision, and should have waited to see the 'real' thing, not the hype.
I know, it's hard to accept in the age of instant gratification...........

Absolute, total rubbish.
Marketing, hype, and products not living up to it has been around for as long as the hills.
It's absolutely not new.

Cyberpunk, again on a fundamental level there wasn't much wrong with what was actually supplied, other than it didn't live up to the ridiculous hype levels and self-entitled expectations of some.....

If something you pre-orderded on the basis of marketing didn't live up to the hype, take a step back. You've not been scammed, just made a bad purchasing decision, and should have waited to see the 'real' thing, not the hype.

Yup.

One thing I will say in people's defence is these publishers/developers are getting very good at marketing their games.

Absolute, total rubbish.
It's absolutely not new.

It may be as old as the hills, but companies should not make unfounded claims or promises about their products, the public should be protected from such lies. It is why we have bodies such as the Advetising Standards Authority.

I didn't preorder NMS, and pretty much never preorder anything as I have been around long enough not to buy into the hype.

If you want to excuse anti-consumer practices that's your decision. I personally am concerned about the average person being treated fairly.

As for Cyberpunk you are incorrect, it was fundamentally broken on last gen and CDPR obviously knew it and concealed the fact from the buying public.

The negative backlash and demand for refunds got so bad that Sony pulled it from their store and offered everyone a refund... not sure how you could say there isn't much wrong with that.

Meaningful choices in game, especially based on your background, for instance. Nope... Ran poorly and was a mess from a technical standpoint for many. Those in power decided to launch it anyway, as they thought it was good :))

Moreover, since studios are selling games based on promises (and not like a kick starter, but an actual description on how the game is), especially without a demo, plus some silly system requirements, then it's just straight deception/fraud. How they can go about this without legal repercussions is just laughable.

If you want to forget and condone that behaviour that is your choice.

But part of the reason gaming is in the state it's in today is devs over promising and under delivering. Buyers have a hard time getting refunds for software as I'm sure you are aware, look at the Cyberpunk debacle.
I dont know about cyberpunk as i have not got around to it yet however NMS...

yes it is true at launch the game hugely underdelivered and content that we were told was in was categorically not in...... the angst was absolutely deserved at launched..... was it made worse by the flood putting them back? maybe but who on earth does not back up their code???

However................... so many devs do that and just call it a day, however HG did not do that, they took the criticisms on the chin and not only does the game now have every single thing missing at launch, it has a whole lot more as well and the extra content has not cost us a penny..

Yes hold developers to account and feel free not to let things go when they are missing or broken............ but at some point we have to be able to get over ourselves and revaluate games when the devs knuckle down and make right their failures.

if we are not prepared to do that and we just say "but launch!!!!" then that sends the message that it does not matter if they work on their games after launch, that it was a waste of time so they may as well not bother next time.

So yeah, NMS was a huge dissapointment at launch, but equally imo it is the benchmark for how developers should react post release and now the game is everything it ever said it would be and so much more..... i cant think of a game which has been better supported by the developers free of charge than NMS has been.

Last edited:
I have been burned a couple of times that I care to remember when pre ordering games. First being the 2013 release of Sim City and, more recently Cities Skylines 2.
Both of those seemed to offer me reassurance based on the publishers and developers previous games, as well as, to a point, what pre release information was available at the time.
If anything the Cities 2 game has done me a favour in ways that I would not have expected, I'll wishlist and follow the development of certain titles but I'll wait until they get released before considering them.

I am even being a little wary these days about early access games, to a point.

HG's ways of dealing with NMS had been an incredible turnaround, and, perhaps, somewhat rare and rather unique...... Sadly.

Last edited:
I won't go over everything as this has been done to death, but Sean was asked straight questions such as "can you play with your friends" and his answer was "yes" but as we now know this was not possible and they knew it but didn't tell people who had preordered the game.

No landing on asteroids, no ringed planets, no proper solar system orbits, no day/night cycle... the list goes on.

Yes, they've released a lot of content since launch but it doesn't excuse the fact they promised certain features which were not delivered. If they had to cut stuff that's fine with me, it's the reality of producing a game, but they should have let people know so they can make informed purchasing decisions.

Old reddit post but list of stuff is here:

I was there from day one, know what lots of people have moaned about, but as I said I don't get why people moaned as they did.

They could have released it as they did, and just left it - many many broken games are released each and every year, most of which just get left. Was NMS unplayable on release? No, it wasn't.

Detest limits in PC games.

Until recently, there was a limit of 1000 cars in Forza Horizon 5, which I hit around two years ago.
Yup... the annoying thing is that I have to delete each piece manually or the entire base - obviously I don' wanna do that, although there's a limit for the number of bases, too. Good thing there are a 18 quintillion planets in the game!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom