No Man's Sky

Soldato
it stays the same. once a planet has been discovered. it stays that planet for the life of the game. you can even name the thing if you want to :D

Hang on though, here he says it's generated again if you leave as it's automatically regenerated by the algorithms:

00:35 secs into it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-33183508

He also says that nothing is stored anywhere - disc, server, cloud - it's all just being generated when you see it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hang on though, here he says it's generated again if you leave as it's automatically regenerated by the algorithms:

indeed. but it will be exactly the same planet as when you first found it.

holes you create with your mining weapon wont, however.

edit: if you name a planet, it will save, so future people will see it. when you leave a planet, and come back to it, it will be exactly the same planet as when you first found it.

Last edited:
Caporegime

He also says that nothing is stored anywhere - disc, server, cloud - it's all just being generated when you see it.
Just like most things in a game, except instead of art assets it just has the record of the code that initially created the planet and its location.

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
indeed. but it will be exactly the same planet as when you first found it.

holes you create with your mining weapon wont, however.

edit: if you name a planet, it will save, so future people will see it. when you leave a planet, and come back to it, it will be exactly the same planet as when you first found it.

how does that work if nothing is saved

Soldato
The planet is given an algorithm. Which is set for that planet, for life. That algorithm is loaded everytime a player visits that planet.

Soldato
The planet is given an algorithm. Which is set for that planet, for life. That algorithm is loaded everytime a player visits that planet.

Planet is given a seed value spat out of a RNG when someone first travels to it. An algorithm converts that into all the parameters that make up the planet's unique composition.

Obviously they will be persisting the discovered by value somewhere, along with the seed. Not a lot of data involved, easily manageable.

Last edited:
Soldato
Planet is given a seed value. An algorithm converts that into all the parameters that make up the planet's unique composition.

Obviously they will be persisting the discovered by value somewhere.

Yes that's what I meant ;) thank you. The planet stays the same for the life of the game.

Associate
I'm quite liking this IGN coverage. Its getting me a bit more hyped for a game which I had lost pretty much all hype.

Soldato
I'm a bit confused about this goal to reach the centre of the galaxy that Sean mentions.

The way I understand it is the game has many galaxies within a universe so will there be more than one centre of a galaxy to reach.

Or is there only one galaxy.

I'm confused:o

*actually I think I realise now that no man's sky is just one galaxy featuring many stars with there own planets and moons. It got me thinking as you see the word universe thrown around a lot instead of galaxy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom