North Korea threatens US with a pre-emptive nuclear strike.

Soldato
Would it be worse than those posted above?

Id bet it would be at least equal. Most of which happened during the cold war years.

There were plenty of incursions into the north, including assassination plans etc. The south arent just this poor little lamb getting beaten on by the north, they were fiercely anti communist, more so than perhaps even the US.

In 1976, in now declassified meeting minutes, U.S. Deputy Secretary of Defense William Clements told Henry Kissinger that there had been 200 raids or incursions into North Korea from the south, though not by the U.S. military

This was in 1976..so who knows how many after that. and who knows what the US really got up to

An estimated 13,000 people have been trained as agents in South Korea since 1951 with the aim of retaliating against the North’s armed infiltrations, destroying major military facilities and collecting military intelligence.

Some 8,000 reportedly lost their lives as many of them had to undertake suicide missions or repeatedly carry out dangerous operations.
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2011/02/116_80936.html

All im saying is that its been a very dirty 60 years...and its silly to pin ALL the blame on the north. Its certainly ridiculous to make out that its a surprise that they talk like they do..They have tens of thousands of US/SK troops doing wargames on their doorstep every single year. They just had two stealth bombers fly from the US to drop test bombs on a small korean island just to show the north how strong they are..

The north is a ridiculous regime but they are being provoked and we are supposed to be the adults here.

Soldato
Sky News Newsdesk ‏@SkyNewsBreak 33m
State News Agency: North Korean leader orders rocket units on standby to fire at U.S. bases in the South and Pacific

I presume no one is taking this seriously then?

I reckon it's just part of what is going to be an elaborate April Fools joke. :p

Caporegime
This is coming from the KCNA so I'd take it with a large pitch of salt. I don't know why you'd want to announce you're about to strike US bases, surely that just gives their soldiers more time to prepare themselves. Not like any rockets could probably get within 50 mile of the bases any way.

Though I wouldn't mind seeing this happen, you just know a rocket would go off course and land in Japan, or even better China or Russia! That would be a film right there!

Soldato
China, North Koreas only ally, are already distancing themselves from North Korea. On top of that North Korea don't have half the military might they think they have.

If it came to it North Korea would be crushed swiftly by the US and the South with, more than likely, tacit support from China. I doubt the people of North would be that bothered either as it hardly seems a happy state to live in.

WW3 would never happen on this basis, the approaching nuclear capability of Iran is a much bigger concern.

Permabanned
My monitor is on standby, my toaster is on standby, my cat is (always) on standby.

Yep, everything is ready to go in this household.
Please don't assume this was any different from yesterday :o

North Korea, just do it, I haz popcorn :D

Soldato
Nothing to see here, refer to the billion other North Korea threads we have had over the years.

If you can't be bothered, the short version is- If NK were a serious threat, SK could crush them in a matter of days.

Soldato
I presume no one is taking this seriously then?

I reckon it's just part of what is going to be an elaborate April Fools joke. :p

It's because of the annual 'war games' being conducted by the south and US in the region.

North Korea has opposed them for a decade as they believe they could be used a cover for an attack (something North Korea previously did itself).

If I had a mortal enemy that once a year decided that he was going to play hop-scotch outside my front door, I'd ready myself as well.

Soldato
The Doomsday Clock is still sat at 5 mins to Midnight as it has for the last couple of years, so they don't seem too bothered! :p

Though that is not just an assessment of the threat of nuclear war, but all dangers to civilisation. To give an idea the range has been from 2 mins (1953) to 17 mins (1991)

Back
Top Bottom