Norwegian rape victim sentenced to 1 year and 4 months of prison in Dubai for sex outside of marriag

Soldato
http://translate.google.com/transla.../nyheter/utenriks/artikkel.php?artid=10105411

Title and link shamelessly stolen from reddit in hopes of a more intelligent discussion here.

If, and I really hope this is one of those cases where it is not, but if this is actually true how exactly can this happen? She is a Norwegian citizen, their government has a duty to protect her from illegal incarceration abroad. This is, by any standards of international law and human rights treaties an illegal incarceration and as such these must, in a case like this override any sovereign laws.

Again let me stress that I hope someone will come on here with the other side of the story or something that proves this is completely fabricated but if that's not the case then I hope the Norwegian government are looking at any and all options to rescue their citizen, if a country cannot protect their own people then what respect does it deserve? I hope a quiet diplomatic word would be enough to bring some sense to this situation but if that fails then escalation to condemnation in the UN, sanctions or the use of military special forces to rescue her would not be over the top in my opinion.

Permabanned
If it is true! This is one of the many reasons I won't ever visit Dubai, I'd never want my money to support such a backwards regime

Permabanned
Where is Andy Mc nab when you need him.Im calling bs though, the middle east is bad but i cannot see them doing this in the face of the west.It would be one of the biggest political messes in the last few years considering the heated tensions and popular topic of swedish rape by the far right.

If it turns out to be true then yea SAS at the ready, no holds barred go and rescue her and make a film about it starring tom cruise.

Man of Honour
If it turns out to be true then yea SAS at the ready, no holds barred go and rescue her and make a film about it starring tom cruise.

Only shes a Norwegian citizen - would have to be extraordinary circumstances for the SAS to be involved.

Soldato
Says this....

The judicial system here has obviously taken the information she has given them and meant that she is guilty of anything, says Gisle Meling, a priest in the Seamen's Church in Dubai.

Did zero research:

He stressed that he did not read the judgment and therefore do not know the details of what the woman has been convicted.

Credibility - nil.

Permabanned
Only shes a Norwegian citizen - would have to be extraordinary circumstances for the SAS to be involved.

Retard moment, we all have them :mad:

I could argue that Norway has no forces in the middle east though and would need to use one of the British bases or American warships in the Gulf of Oman as a launch off point or do norway have forces in Afghanistan atm? :p

Do Norway even have special forces? I thought those guys waved flowers and stuff these days and instead of fighting the middle east would rather invite them all over to stay permanently.

Soldato
If it is true! This is one of the many reasons I won't ever visit Dubai, I'd never want my money to support such a backwards regime

Dubai was always on my no go list since some poor guy got thrown into jail for 4 years for having a poppy seed on his shirt due to eating a sandwich roll from the departing airport.

I'm twice as quit now!

Man of Honour

I could argue that Norway has no forces in the middle east though and would need to use one of the British bases or American warships in the Gulf of Oman as a launch off point or do norway have forces in Afghanistan atm? :p

Do Norway even have special forces? I thought those guys waved flowers and stuff these days and instead of fighting the middle east would rather invite them all over to stay permanently.

Norwegian special forces are pretty good to be honest, they filled in behind the SAS for a lot of stuff in Afghan as the SAS moved on to the next OP. Tho their training has a fairly heavy naval bias which won't help so much in the desert :D

Permabanned
Dubai was always on my no go list since some poor guy got thrown into jail for 4 years for having a poppy seed on his shirt due to eating a sandwich roll from the departing airport.

I'm twice as quit now!

Yeah I heard about something similar, deffo no go, they aren't getting any of my tourist money

Soldato
Says this....

Did zero research:

Credibility - nil.

n5ak.jpg

SEAMAN MINISTER: Gisle Meling's sailor priest in Dubai. Photo: **** IVAR JOHANSEN

Ohh eer sailor

Soldato

The Norwegians are in Afghanistan, and do have their own special forces. The HJK are the Royal Norwegian Army's equivalent of the SAS, while the MJK are the Royal Norwegian Navy's equivalent of the SBS. Both are highly regarded and have extensive combat experience from Afghanistan.

In fact the HJK are one of the very few foreign units to have earned the Presidential Unit Citation from a US President, which they earned for their performance in Afghanistan in 2001/2002.

The Norwegian's certainly have the men for the job. It's whether their government has the political will to use them, and the diplomatic skills to get the likes of us or the American's to help them get their men over there.

Permabanned
Why are you guys making out this isn't true?
this kind of stone age poo is happening ALL THE TIME in Islamic states.

woman gets raped
gets dragged in front of some BS Sharia court
gets sentenced to jail for infidelity
repeat

same poo, different day.

Back
Top Bottom