Norwegian rape victim sentenced to 1 year and 4 months of prison in Dubai for sex outside of marriag

Permabanned
I am sure all those who criticised the country and their authorities and people who didn't just jump on the band wagon will happily hop into this thread and say hmm maybe we did actually jump the gun a bit on this one when no clear facts or evidence were put forward.

I wonder if Hurfdurf will be one of them?

Soldato
At the end of the day I guess all concerned will consider it a rather sad episode. I doubt the full truth is in that last article and I strongly expect the woman was encouraged to drop the charges whether she was the victim of a crime or not. It would be nice to say no-one was 'injured or killed' but that is clearly not the case.

Associate
Dubai: A British woman who was kidnapped and gang-raped by three Iranian men in Dubai has come forward to talk about the brutal attack.
In an interview to XPRESS a week after the Dubai Court of First Instance sentenced two of the accused to ten years in prison (the third one is missing) the woman said: “The judgment has restored my faith in the UAE. I am grateful to the authorities. I am glad I chose to stay in Dubai and not only report the crime, but see the trial through to their [accused] conviction.”

Soldato
Do you have anything to offer other than spam RSS feed without even having the decency to demonstrate where you are copying from?

Do you have any commentary?

Are you even human?

Soldato
Do you have anything to offer other than spam RSS feed without even having the decency to demonstrate where you are copying from?

Do you have any commentary?

Are you even human?

Blatantly someone's troll account that they forgot about two and a half years ago and decided to resurrect, judging from the posting history.

Caporegime
I am sure all those who criticised the country and their authorities and people who didn't just jump on the band wagon will happily hop into this thread and say hmm maybe we did actually jump the gun a bit on this one when no clear facts or evidence were put forward.

Will be a very cold day in hell for that to happen in here, GD members actually admitting they jumped the gun and came out with their usual rhetoric;):p.

As for the media?? well they have a lot to answer for themselves...cause more issues and problems than they care to admit to with their slack reporting of facts and evidence.

Man of Honour
I saw this posted elsewhere by someone, puts perspective into the whole thing (not read every post here so it's most likely been posted already but ah well).

Kira Leith-Ross:
This story is a bit more complex and has quite a few more details than is covered in this article. First of all: she was not sentenced for being raped or reporting that she had been raped.

She reported being raped, but there was no clear evidence supporting her claim. Video from surveillance cameras showed that she followed the man to his room voluntarily. When she realised the police didn't believe her, and after being advised to do so, she "admitted" she reported the rape while being under the influence of alcohol and changed her statement.

This was supposed to be the easiest way to make it all go away. Instead, she had now stated, to the police, that she had broken three laws: sex outside marriage, drinking alcohol without a license, and making a false report. This is what she was imprisoned for. Legally speaking, this was not a rape case at all.

Obviously, the way Dubai take care of women who are victims of sexual crimes leaves a lot to be desired. Nevertheless, we should strive to base our outrage on facts rather then hearsay. Hopefully, UAE will learn something from this as well, so that other women can report similar cases without fearing a punishment themselves.

Soldato
I wonder if Hurfdurf will be one of them?

First off, I don't recall even posting in the thread, so why would I be talking about jumping the gun?

Second of all, you think that arresting someone for having sex before marriage isn't demonstrativeness of backwardness?

Dubai is an awful place, including the slave labour they use.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/commentators/johann-hari/the-dark-side-of-dubai-1664368.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7985361.stm

Last edited:
Soldato
I saw this posted elsewhere by someone, puts perspective into the whole thing (not read every post here so it's most likely been posted already but ah well).

Or, she was raped (why does walking to the room with the man mean she consented to sex, thats really rape culture like and disgusting to imply), she reported it, they arrested her for sex before marriage and drinking, told her the best way for her to get out of it was to say she made it up, only to then arrest her for that as well.

Soldato
Hurfdurf following his own version of events to suit his personal brand of outrage I see....:D

Well, I didn't even post in the thread, and you wanted me to apologise, so I thought I would add my 2 cents.

I was just presenting the, imo more realistic, alternative to the rape culture induced automatic assumption that a woman is lying about being raped because she "she followed the man to his room voluntarily".

RDM

RDM

Soldato
LOL certainly seems so even though its been proved she lied about the rape but i suppose in his little world, its ok for a woman to lie about being raped:rolleyes:

Aren't you jumping the gun here a little bit? The actual facts of the case are pretty muddy so where is the proof that she lied about being raped?

Soldato
^ My thoughts, plenty of rape victims retract statements for a huge variety of different reasons (some made it up, some don't want to go through it, some pressure from external parties) - it's not always going to be malicious intent.

I'd also like to point out a bit of a double standard regarding the 100% belief in the most recent article & huge doubts cast on the previous ones.

My bad:o, thought it said she lied.

That will teach me to read the quote fully:p
Ahh, fair enough :)

Soldato
Well, I didn't even post in the thread, and you wanted me to apologise, so I thought I would add my 2 cents.

I was just presenting the, imo more realistic, alternative to the rape culture induced automatic assumption that a woman is lying about being raped because she "she followed the man to his room voluntarily".

Where as you take the automatic assumption that the man is guilty instead, how very progressive of you.

Back
Top Bottom