NR200 Owner's Thread

Soldato
Can't decide on a Heatsink! My Arctic 34 CO is too tall for use with the window which I want to keep, and I don't want to go with the mesh panel and a watercooler right now. Problem is I can't decide whether I want a temporary solution whilst I ponder over watercooling some more, or to get something beefy enough to provide decent cooling. Add in the fact that I want something that looks nicely, ideally has some RGB and doesn't use up too much case volume (I'm really liking not having a heatsink obscure the entire window view right now), I'm stuck with conflicting ideas!

Part of me thinks the stock AMD cooler is working well enough, it's quiet when not under load and looks nice. But then who wouldn't like better temperatures of a higher quality heatsink. Then I start pondering a bigger top down cooler versus a tower and how the airflow would work out in the case.

I've gone from being quite happy with just having a working PC to game on, to rebuilding in this case and now wanting to tinker with it constantly!

Soldato
@PinkFloyd

I'm going through exactly the same process. If you want a tower that doesn't obscure the rest of the components then the Noctua NH-U9S or the Cryorig M9 are a good shout

120mm towers will start to cover the board but the Cryorig H7, alpenfohn Brocken Eco Advance should fit and then there are the vanilla scythe mugen or black edition with RGB

Top down pretty much any will fit, I'm really disliking the noise from the Wraith Prism so I'm itching to get something else but just don't want to end up going through multiple coolers like I did in my last build!

Associate
@Darren_uk That looks amazing! I'll probably just have it slowly changing. I have to have a good think about wanting window and rainbow unicorn with air cooling and more RGB parts or vented panel with AIO and possibly put some RGB underneath like you.

Soldato
Sorry, I didn't articulate my point very well. If the NH-C14S fits and is demonstrably better than NH-U12S or the NH-U9S, why is it that the U12S or U9S seem to be more popular?

I see, the U12S won't fit with the TG panel so I'm not sure on that one, if it did I would have bought the Chromax version by now and installed it

I asked noctua the same question about the NH-C14S Vs the NH-U9S because they state on their website that they perform the same, just waiting for a response

The NH-C14S has too many caveats in this case but it will fit as shown on the previous pages so I probably won't bother with that one

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
You sure the C14S and U9S perform the same?

C14S has more heat pipes (7 vs 5), a larger frontal area (196cm² vs 87.4cm²) and much larger fans (140mm vs 92mm) pushing more air (max 140.2m³/h vs 78.9m³/h). The only area where the U9S is better is in thickness (48mm vs 70mm). I'd expect the C14S to be the better of the two, especially in noise normalised testing (where 140mm fans are really going to shine).

It's funny. I know the general consensus from the Ncase is that the C14S is better, but brings compatibility issues. But I'm struggling to find much good data putting the two coolers head-to-head. Best I could find was this.

Soldato
You sure the C14S and U9S perform the same?

C14S has more heat pipes (7 vs 5), a larger frontal area (196cm² vs 87.4cm²) and much larger fans (140mm vs 92mm) pushing more air (max 140.2m³/h vs 78.9m³/h). The only area where the U9S is better is in thickness (48mm vs 70mm). I'd expect the C14S to be the better of the two, especially in noise normalised testing (where 140mm fans are really going to shine).

It's funny. I know the general consensus from the Ncase is that the C14S is better, but brings compatibility issues. But I'm struggling to find much good data putting the two coolers head-to-head. Best I could find was this.

No not sure, and like you I suspect the NH-C14S to be better but Noctua website puts them in the same performance bracket

Soldato
Sorry, I didn't articulate my point very well. If the NH-C14S fits and is demonstrably better than NH-U12S or the NH-U9S, why is it that the U12S or U9S seem to be more popular?

I think they're more popular because they're a more traditional shape of cooler and with the quick removal of the fans on either side of the heatsink, allow greater access to the motherboard items, such as RAM and the M.2 drive. They also better facilitate the use of a side window panel, in terms of airflow.

From what I remember when I was buying a cooler for my Ncase M1, the C14S was superior to the NH-U9S. I'd say the NH-U12S (which doesn't fit in the Ncase) would run the C14S very close, performance-wise.

The biggest benefit of the bigger fans is the ability to push air at lower noise levels and that's the approach I'm taking with my build in this case. The 92mm Noctua slim fan that I had was pretty loud at moderate speeds, so personally I'd recommend a 120mm+ fan cooler over anything smaller.

Associate
Does the Noctua NH-U12S Pure black cpu cooler fit with the mesh build then?
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/noctua-nh-u12s-chromax-pure-black-cpu-cooler-hs-03n-nc.html

I've got the standard NH-U12S and no issues with mesh panel!
IMG_20200817_181320.jpg

And yes I will fix that cable mess as soon as my nvme drive arrives and I can repurpose that thicc 3.5" drive.

Soldato
I've got the standard NH-U12S and no issues with mesh panel!
IMG_20200817_181320.jpg

And yes I will fix that cable mess as soon as my nvme drive arrives and I can repurpose that thicc 3.5" drive.

Am i right from looking at that picture you didnt have any issues with memory clearence as the fan looks like its not going over it?

Associate
Am i right from looking at that picture you didnt have any issues with memory clearence as the fan looks like its not going over it?

No issues with memory clearence when using Corsair lpx and Noctua nh-u12s. I'll take some more photos tomorrow when my nvme drive arrives :)

Associate
Finally got my email confirmation link to work so I can post! Literally have been reading thru all 650+ posts here since the case was announced. Pre-ordered my NR200P in black here in the US and patiently waiting for mid September when they claim it'll ship.

Until then I've been enjoying everyones comments, posts and experiences with the case.

I knew this case was coming out eventually and was literally ready to jump on a NCASE M1 when the preorder for this popped up and this is more my budget/tempo as I can reuse my air cooler (Cryorig H7).

Got real excited when I saw post #447 since it has a Cryorig H7 (quad lumi) and the cooler looks so clean and perfect in there with the TG panel.

Currently plan to move my MSI z270, I5-6600k, 16gb ddr4ram, Cryorig H7, 1080FE over from my Thermaltake Core V1 (great 'little' case that uses ATX PSU and will be an upgrade for my son from his CM Elite 120). I'm waiting to see what the Nvidia 3xxx GPUs will need for power before jumping on a SFX PSU (also assuming I can find one since they are super $ at the moment). I'm leaning towards the 600 or 750 platinum. Know the 750 is likely overkill for most ITX systems, but it has (1) extra 6-pin and (1) extra (8) cable over the 600. My concerns are all these rumors of the power connection requirements, i.e. needing up to (3) 6-pins or a new 12-pin connector. So I'm waiting until those are announce before making any moves. Since the announcement is 9./1 that still gives me time to find/buy a SFX before I receive my case. Although I'm considering trying to make a bracket to get my ATX to fit...but feel it'll prevent me from using my GPU. Also plan to update to the Ryzen Zen 3 CPUs releasing later this year. Whole new rig by end of year happening =)

Anyways novel over. Glad to be on the forum =)

Back
Top Bottom