NR200 Owner's Thread

Associate
Surely you’d be better with the CPU as exhaust? Currently the hot air your GPU is pushing out the back is being sucked back in?

Also read somewhere that using the tiny fan isn’t beneficial as it’s flow rates are lower than the CPU fan.

Be interested to know if you’ve tested any other setups.

I thought this as well, but recently installed my 5900x to replace the 5600x place holder. Tested and now I run my CPU and GPU as an intake with the top fans as exhaust. Actually runs 3-4°c cooler for me on average vs running the CPU cooler as an exhaust.

5900x with h7 quad lumi and EVGA 3080ftw3 here with NR200p TG panel.

Granted the 5600x with the H7 ran cooler in general but its 65w vs 105w cpu. Temps with the 5600x while playing cyberpunk were in the low 70s, where as the 5900x I'm in the mid/high 70s. 5600x system ran quieter due to that.

Associate
Surely you’d be better with the CPU as exhaust? Currently the hot air your GPU is pushing out the back is being sucked back in?

Also read somewhere that using the tiny fan isn’t beneficial as it’s flow rates are lower than the CPU fan.

Be interested to know if you’ve tested any other setups.

I've looked into it a bit and it doesn't seem one way or the other whether exhaust or intake is better for overall temps. Better for CPU, maybe not so much GPU. When i get the 4 fans through i'll have a play with it and see what works best. Right now GPU isn't great after gaming for a good while, but without the bottom 2 fans i don't know what the case can fully achieve yet.

But yeah not sure about that 92mm fan, will probably take it out when i re-do the fans.

Associate

I've looked into it a bit and it doesn't seem one way or the other whether exhaust or intake is better for overall temps. Better for CPU, maybe not so much GPU. When i get the 4 fans through i'll have a play with it and see what works best. Right now GPU isn't great after gaming for a good while, but without the bottom 2 fans i don't know what the case can fully achieve yet.

But yeah not sure about that 92mm fan, will probably take it out when i re-do the fans.

The topic of adding 2 bottom fans has been a back and forth situational based discussion. For me only thing I read was an increase in noise for 1-2c drop.

Since my EVGA 3080 ftw3 only hits a MAX of 73°c when playing Cyberpunk 2077 @1440p ultra, RTX on and DLSS ~75fps I do not see the point adding.

The CPU cooler orientation had no impact that I noticed in HWInfo to my GPU temps.

Associate
Just wondering about cpu cooler. I've seen a few videos stating that the two top fans sucking air out is absolutely crucial to thermal management, but with a massive tower cpu coolers like mugen 5 or Fuma 2, would airflow not be impeded somewhat? Would a lower case profile fan like Big Shuriken 3 work better?

I'm probably over thinking it, but that's what happens when you have to sit around and wait for components to be delivered..!

Soldato
Now my case is here I gotta wait for my motherboard and PSU to show up. Then once things have calmed down next year I'll get a GPU to replace my leafblower of a vega 64.

I'm a bit concerned that due to the higher socket of the Gigabyte Aorus B550I my Arctic Freezer 34 might not fit with both of the top fans in place. However I did see a YouTube video of someone with the same mobo but with a Noctua U12S and that fitted ok. The Arctic 34 is the same height and width as that cooler, so fingers crossed.

Associate
Now my case is here I gotta wait for my motherboard and PSU to show up. Then once things have calmed down next year I'll get a GPU to replace my leafblower of a vega 64.

I'm a bit concerned that due to the higher socket of the Gigabyte Aorus B550I my Arctic Freezer 34 might not fit with both of the top fans in place. However I did see a YouTube video of someone with the same mobo but with a Noctua U12S and that fitted ok. The Arctic 34 is the same height and width as that cooler, so fingers crossed.

It's not a mini-ITX build though without worrying about fitting everything in.

I replaced the two top fans with CoolerMaster Sickleflow ARGB ones.. I couldn't work out how to plug the ARGB cable in without exposing the cable everywhere, and it wasn't long enough to put underneath :( I find cabling and keeping it tidy an impossible task.

Soldato
For anyone interested Scythe are releasing a Mugen 5 "Black" not Black Edition (RGB Version) Just "Black"

The cooler is all black inc the heat pipe caps so it doesn't look like a gimp mask anymore and it will come with all black fan which will now be 1500rpm rather than 1200rpm

I'll be sticking with my Big Shuriken but I'm interested in their new line of all black fans when they get released

Soldato
It's not a mini-ITX build though without worrying about fitting everything in.

I replaced the two top fans with CoolerMaster Sickleflow ARGB ones.. I couldn't work out how to plug the ARGB cable in without exposing the cable everywhere, and it wasn't long enough to put underneath :( I find cabling and keeping it tidy an impossible task.
I've seen some people struggle with this particular mobo and tower coolers. Most people seem to dismiss the Arctic 34 but it's an excellent budget option, they get freaked out by the fact it doesn't cover the entire die, but it doesn't need to. Cools my Ryzen 5 3600 with no issues on full boost. I'd like to see how it gets on with some of the more powerful chips, though.

Associate
I've seen some people struggle with this particular mobo and tower coolers. Most people seem to dismiss the Arctic 34 but it's an excellent budget option, they get freaked out by the fact it doesn't cover the entire die, but it doesn't need to. Cools my Ryzen 5 3600 with no issues on full boost. I'd like to see how it gets on with some of the more powerful chips, though.

Out of curiosity what kind of temps do you get from stress testing it?

Soldato
I didn’t think the artic 34 fitted or was that just under the glass? I have one on my other rig.

It has the same height and width as the NU12S and I've seen that fit with the vented panel. I'm not going to use the glass panel.

Out of curiosity what kind of temps do you get from stress testing it?
After 10-15 minutes on Cinebench it's at 70c and whisper quiet. All cores hold at 4.0GHz. Idle is 30-40c. I only have a bronze chip, so to get the advertised boost figures my motherboard pumps it 1.35v, which is quite high under load. I think the cooler was about £20 at the time.

Associate
It has the same height and width as the NU12S and I've seen that fit with the vented panel. I'm not going to use the glass panel.

After 10-15 minutes on Cinebench it's at 70c and whisper quiet. All cores hold at 4.0GHz. Idle is 30-40c. I only have a bronze chip, so to get the advertised boost figures my motherboard pumps it 1.35v, which is quite high under load. I think the cooler was about £20 at the time.

Mine is boosting happily to 4Ghz with temps around 79c. This is with a Noctua NH-U9S. A vast improvement on what I was getting with the stock cooler in my old case. Was hitting 95c under load , which was pretty scary considering this from what I understand is the temps it thermal throttles at with the 3600.

Soldato
OP
Just wondering about cpu cooler. I've seen a few videos stating that the two top fans sucking air out is absolutely crucial to thermal management, but with a massive tower cpu coolers like mugen 5 or Fuma 2, would airflow not be impeded somewhat? Would a lower case profile fan like Big Shuriken 3 work better?

I'm probably over thinking it, but that's what happens when you have to sit around and wait for components to be delivered..!

You may be right. The BS3 has worked well for myself and Relentless. Certainly better than should be expected, considering it's a low profile cooler.

Soldato
OP
Ive got an SF450, so I’m going to try and run a 2070 with it eventuality. According to a few psu calculators it should work but I’ve got my doubts.

It'll be absolutely fine.

I'm currently running an R5 2600 & 5700 XT Nitro+ on an SX500-LG. Before I moved to the M1, those same components were powered by a CX450M without a hitch.

450W is actually quite a lot of power. It may not seem it, given enthusiast PSUs tend to start at 450W and run up to 1200W. But there have been very few mid-range builds in the ~15 years I've been building (mainly SFF) PCs that have needed more. Most will fall in to the 300W-400W range.

Go back to the time before high power SFX PSUs, and you used to have people doing some really stupid stuff. Like trying to undervolt and underclock a 4790K and 780Ti so they'll run off a ropey FSP 450W SFX PSU. Those were the builds you had to worry about. They had about a 50% chance of ending with fire :p Mid-range parts were rarely not fine.

Last edited:
Associate
It'll be absolutely fine.

I'm currently running an R5 2600 & 5700 XT Nitro+ on an SX500-LG. Before I moved to the M1, those same components were powered by a CX450M. I haven't ever owner a PSU rated for more than 500W, in 15 years of building (primarily SFF) PCs.

That's good to know! Just need to get my 3080 now, to free up my 2070 for this build :)

Back
Top Bottom