Nurse arrested for murdering babies

This is incorrect, there was both direct evidence and circumstantial evidence:

You have misread my posts. Please read them fully so you understand them, particularly the part where I implicitly state I am not questioning the evidence in the trial or the case itself.

I implicitly state what my disagreement is about in post #947 and, again, in post #953

For clarity - I am not referencing any evidence or the Letby case/trial in my disagreement with what SGF posted. It could relate to any trial/case

Overwhelming circumstantial evidence is a term I hear all the time in the department, boss comes back from Court, I ask how it went and he uses the phrase which means it's become innocent or guilty.
Fair enough it might not be an official legal term but it's a term I hear a lot.
Type the term into Google and you'll see it's used by others.

Oh, of course..in fact, in post #953, I stated I have no problem if you want to use the term. It was was just contradictory to you saying the evidence wasn't circumstantial but then said it was overwhelmingly circumstantial in a later post... they both mean the same thing.

The people that you hear using it in other cases are simply saying that, although the evidence was circumstantial, there was so much of it that it was overwhelmingly circumstantial... it's like saying:

"That water is hot"
"That water is very hot"

Both essentially mean the same however one has used the additional adjective to impress how hot the water really is.

This is meaningless without specifying what it is you're referring to... like posting a link for example.

For a start: https://metro.co.uk/2023/08/23/lucy-letbys-parents-to-move-closer-to-prison-to-be-near-her-19384602.

Why is it in the public interest to know what the parents are doing? And why are they being photographed and having their neighbours asked questions about their life. The parents have not done anything wrong, they should be kept well out of public.

Last edited:
So when you said:

I see the media are now going after her parents. Her parents have committed no crime.

You really just meant the metro has published a fairly mundane story about them moving house to be near the prison.

What does the fact they've committed no crime have to do with that?

Last edited:
That's just one example, happy to post others if you would like.

One example of what exactly? Are you under the impression that the press is only supposed to publish stories about criminals?

This case has attracted a lot of public interest and the parents do seem like odd balls, the mother seems a bit mental tbh.. given the apparent desperate "confession" that she did and the emotional outburst in court despite having sat through all of the trial.

For a start: https://metro.co.uk/2023/08/23/lucy-letbys-parents-to-move-closer-to-prison-to-be-near-her-19384602.

Why is it in the public interest to know what the parents are doing? And why are they being photographed and having their neighbours asked questions about their life. The parents have not done anything wrong, they should be kept well out of public.

Are you serious :)
Is that what "going after them" or "getting hurt" is in your mind :)
It is a totally mundane story.

When stories appear that their house is being daubed in paint, or they are too afraid to walk out of the house, or stories appear that Letby was beaten constantly by them as a child and locked in a cupboard, then come back to us with something valid.

I wonder if she'll a) ever confess and b) explain why on earth she did this? Or at least there will be some psychological explanation given by professionals. With Bervrly Allitt there were clear signs of munch Munchausen Syndrome as she grew up, before moving to Munchausen by Proxy when she didn't get the attention she craved.

One example of what exactly? Are you under the impression that the press is only supposed to publish stories about criminals?

This case has attracted a lot of public interest and the parents do seem like odd balls, the mother seems a bit mental tbh.. given the apparent desperate "confession" that she did and the emotional outburst in court despite having sat through all of the trial.

Why is it in the public interest for you to know anything about the parents, let alone be able to speculate about their mental state, what good does it serve? They haven't committed a crime, they just happen o be her parents.

I stand by everything I said, the implication of this article is clear: they are going after the parents and applying guilt by association.

Why is it in the public interest for you to know anything about the parents, let alone be able to speculate about their mental state, what good does it serve? They haven't committed a crime, they just happen o be her parents.

I stand by everything I said, the implication of this article is clear: they are going after the parents and applying guilt by association.

Why have you highlighted Dowie's words?
You do know that when Letby was arrested the Mother admitted the crimes?
Do you think that should have been left out?
When in court the Mother had a massive outburst, do you think that should be left out?
By having a massive outburst and admitting to the murders she has bought this on herself but as yet nothing has happened.

Again, what relevance does not committing a crime have to do with appearing in newspapers?

You seem to be treating press coverage as a punishment for doing something wrong?

There is a huge public interest in this story as it's horrific, hospitals are supposed to be safe places, nurses are supposed to be trusted with people's lives, and this nurse literally killed babies! Of course, people are going to be interested in her background.

Last edited:
Again, what relevance does not committing a crime have to do with appearing in newspapers?

You seem to be treating press coverage as a punishment for doing something wrong?

There is a huge public interest in this story as it's horrific, hospitals are supposed to be safe places, nurses are supposed to be trusted with people's lives, and this nurse literally killed babies! Of course, people are going to be interested in her background.

In the woman herself there's a defence. But why her parents?

Why have you highlighted Dowie's words?
You do know that when Letby was arrested the Mother admitted the crimes?
Do you think that should have been left out?
When in court the Mother had a massive outburst, do you think that should be left out?
By having a massive outburst and admitting to the murders she has bought this on herself but as yet nothing has happened.

The mother has not committed a crime. How she responds is her business, she should be given anonymity.

The mother has not committed a crime. How she responds is her business, she should be given anonymity.

and I'll say it again, how can she be given anonymity when she admitted to the murders and then in public view had an outburst about it?
and that's besides the fact that 1000s of people will probably know them from that area anyway.
You are living in a fantasy world.

Last edited:

Why should she be given anonymity? No one has claimed she has committed a crime apart from herself, I believe she made a bizarre confession and requested the police take her.

Go and open a newspaper today, you'll see plenty of stories about people who have not committed crimes, should all those people be given anonymity?

Back
Top Bottom