Nurse arrested for murdering babies

Why should she be given anonymity? No one has claimed she has committed a crime apart from herself, I believe she made a bizarre confession and requested the police take her.

Go and open a newspaper today, you'll see plenty of stories about people who have not committed crimes, should all those people be given anonymity?

Absolutely yes, as in other countries.

Again, what relevance does not committing a crime have to do with appearing in newspapers?

You seem to be treating press coverage as a punishment for doing something wrong?

There is a huge public interest in this story as it's horrific, hospitals are supposed to be safe places, nurses are supposed to be trusted with people's lives, and this nurse literally killed babies! Of course, people are going to be interested in her background.

Interested in the nurse, maybe. But her family are entitled to their privacy.

Imagine you committed a crime and they go and dig up information about your family, talk to your neighbour who you trust etc. It's not fair and isn't right.

I can buy the argument that the woman who has been found guilty should be looked at (even if I think she should have anonymity) but the families shouldn't be in the spotlight, they haven't done anything.

I recall a similar argument when they were hacking the phones of relatives of Millie Dowler. It was in the public interest they said. Nonsense.

"The hacking of Milly Dowler's phone was not a bad thing for a well-meaning journalist to do," McMullan told the gobsmacked inquiry.

"We were doing our best to find the little girl. The police are utterly incompetent and should be ashamed that the killer was allowed to carry on."

McMullan also defended phone hacking as a "perfectly acceptable tool if all we were doing is trying to get to the truth".

"The hacking of Milly Dowler's phone was not a bad thing for a well-meaning journalist to do," McMullan told the gobsmacked inquiry.

"We were doing our best to find the little girl. The police are utterly incompetent and should be ashamed that the killer was allowed to carry on."

McMullan also defended phone hacking as a "perfectly acceptable tool if all we were doing is trying to get to the truth".

OK I'll give you that one person speaking at an enquiry however the people in charge didn't own up as such.
This was one journalists thoughts/testimony.

OK I'll give you that one person speaking at an enquiry however the people in charge didn't own up as such.
This was one journalists thoughts/testimony.

He went on to work as a features journalist at the now-defunct News of the World between 1994 and 2001, briefly becoming deputy features editor in 2000.

So I'd say he was pretty important but that's just me.

You accused me of 'making stuff up'. You were wrong but I won't hold it against you.

Last edited:

Memory loss?
I recall a similar argument when they were hacking the phones of relatives of Millie Dowler. It was in the public interest they said. Nonsense.

You said they hacked her families phones. He was talking about her phone.

They did...

In court papers presented last November and seen by the website Byline Investigates and now the BBC, it is alleged the Sunday People hired the private investigation firm Starbase to target the Dowler family 18 years ago.
At that time Milly, 13, was missing and her disappearance was a major national news story.
In 2011 serial killer Levi Bellfield was convicted of her murder.
The claimants allege the Dowlers were also put under surveillance and that Starbase was involved in phone hacking and other unlawful information gathering.

They did...

In court papers presented last November and seen by the website Byline Investigates and now the BBC, it is alleged the Sunday People hired the private investigation firm Starbase to target the Dowler family 18 years ago.
At that time Milly, 13, was missing and her disappearance was a major national news story.
In 2011 serial killer Levi Bellfield was convicted of her murder.
The claimants allege the Dowlers were also put under surveillance and that Starbase was involved in phone hacking and other unlawful information gathering.

They're allegations. Was it proven?

Last edited:
So I'd say he was pretty important but that's just me.

You accused me of 'making stuff up'. You were wrong but I won't hold it against you.

and I apologised for that because you found something but this is one bloke who gave testimony and then went on to another job.
The bosses never made such claims.

You typed "They denied doing it at the time and then claimed it was in the public interest when they were questioned later on", this was one person claiming it had been done.

and I apologised for that because you found something but this is one bloke who gave testimony and then went on to another job.
The bosses never made such claims.

You typed "They denied doing it at the time and then claimed it was in the public interest when they were questioned later on", this was one person claiming it had been done.

Who worked at the NOTW whilst they were hacking phones and was questioned about it at the Leveson Inquiry. That’s clearly “they”

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom