• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

AMD is not really on par with Nvidia for H265 (NVENC vs VCE).

And looking at the certified software list, Blackmagic (Davinci), Adobe etc do not feature in the listings: https://www.amd.com/en/support/certified-drivers

All my exports are H265 (NVENC), super fast to encode and the quality and motion is near enough identical to the source format whilst the file sizes are massively smaller. So for me that's a win win lol.

Personally not used OBS, but do use Geforce Experience for all game recordings, then transcode to H265 NVEMC using Handbrake if I decide to keep any footage or upload to youtube etc as the quality is the same, file sizes more than halved. Encode speed is typically 150fps+

Isn't VCN the old version of AMDs codec which wasn't great.

I thought it was AMF these days.

You are right, Resolve doesn't yet support AMD Hvec for encodes, only decodes, hopefully we see them update it for AV1 like they have for Nvidia, not sure about intels offerings for that.

OBS lets you record directly with Hvec with nvenc.

Honestly, with the amount of people dropping Adobe, I reckon they will have a hard time, esp since Apple dropped Intel which really hurt them.

Last edited:
I've had the 4080 in my basket for a few days now but I just can't hit the buy button due to everyone saying how bad value it is- and I agree, it's terrible value :(

Why won't it come down in price already?!?
Its by far the worst value card by far in the whole 4000 series...

Stay strong, keep your wallet on lock down.

RTX4060TI is $450:
LOL, that article, "CHEAPER THAN EXPECTED", lol sure, still $450, they wanted to charge more, but its a dog **** 8GB gimped & rebranded 4050ti card at best!.

At $450 for an 8GB card its already obsolete even at 1080p, don't even bother trying modern 1440p gaming, Nvdia truly are now just dragging their name through the ******* on the streets...

Regarding the rumoured 4060/Ti pricing, I just checked sold prices for a 3070 on the auction site and there's plenty of people still handing over £350 - £500 for second hand maybe out of warranty 3070's and some stupid amounts for some 3070Ti's.

People are saying that the 4060Ti rumoured pricing is too high but sadly its priced near where it should be based on the above as $450 usd in gbp is around £360 + 20% vat is around £430.

Regarding the rumoured 4060/Ti pricing, I just checked sold prices for a 3070 on the auction site and there's plenty of people still handing over £350 - £500 for second hand maybe out of warranty 3070's and some stupid amounts for some 3070Ti's.

People are saying that the 4060Ti rumoured pricing is too high but sadly its priced near where it should be based on the above as $450 usd in gbp is around £360 + 20% vat is around £430.

No one's going to be paying those prices for 3070ti's once they cotton on about the 4070.

3070ti stock needs to be fire saled off at under £400.

Last edited:
I've had the 4080 in my basket for a few days now but I just can't hit the buy button due to everyone saying how bad value it is- and I agree, it's terrible value :(

Why won't it come down in price already?!?
Its a great card just not priced properly and with the 7900XTX being a bust, Nvidia is unlikely to budge on the pricing until the 4080 Ti comes out at which point they may drop the MSRP of the 4080.

With Ampere we had rumors of the 3080 Ti and 3090 Ti since December 2020. This time around there is nothing in the rumor mill which indicates Nvidia will just relax and let AMD catch up first.

Last edited:
Its a great card just not priced properly and with the 7900XTX being a bust, Nvidia is unlikely to budge on the pricing until the 4080 Ti comes out at which point they may drop the MSRP of the 4080.

With Ampere we had rumors of the 3080 Ti and 3090 Ti since December 2020. This time around there is nothing in the rumor mill which indicates Nvidia will just relax and let AMD catch up first.
By the time Nvidia give customers the value/pricing they expect, and to not be scammed/treated like trash, 5000 series will be around the corner, by then might as well wait for something faster and likley cheaper, as is with their cadence of tick/tock releases.

What's wrong with the fans?
I'm thinking it's a reference to mrk's broken 3000 series, it's a fan bearing iirc

One for the GT 1030 owners :eek:

While clearly not the card we'd pick for gaming, I do miss the days of being able to find a 'lower end' card that was passively cooled that could work in a media pc or a server :(

Whilst I have no intention of firing up any game son this, I did try Last of us and witnessed 18fps in the MENU :cry:

In normal use though it seems perfectly fine, supports GSYNC, supports my UWA 144Hz 10-bit output, supports 2160p 60fps playback - The only thing is HDR output if flaky, so no watching HDR stuff for a few days :p

I will be keeping it I think for situations where a passive GPU might be necessary or future hot-swap when I change GPUs etc. My one has DisplayPort whereas the ones that aren't MSI seem to have DVi and HDMI only.

Also, you guys have no idea how close I was to just going big today and ordering a 4090 :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom