• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Caporegime
Pulled the trigger on the Gainwood 4090 at £1499 as a crazy impulse buy. Don't quite have the money, but decided to use savings and will recover a good chunk from sale of my 3080.

I don't think that price I'd a good deal, and the 4090 should be around £1,250 for me, but given my 4k 144hz needs, only 10GB of VRAM on the 3080, and slight concern that Nvidia will redirect future chips to AI and just take a slow sale / high margin approach to existing dGPU stock, I thought "**** it".

With 12700k, 32GB RAM and now this, and no burning desire for RTX, hopefully I won't be upgrading for a very, very long time...

Nice, you're doing it wrong though. You're meant to buy one and then justify it by telling everyone you only did so because of the AI technologies.

Soldato
Pulled the trigger on the Gainwood 4090 at £1499 as a crazy impulse buy. Don't quite have the money, but decided to use savings and will recover a good chunk from sale of my 3080.

I don't think that price I'd a good deal, and the 4090 should be around £1,250 for me, but given my 4k 144hz needs, only 10GB of VRAM on the 3080, and slight concern that Nvidia will redirect future chips to AI and just take a slow sale / high margin approach to existing dGPU stock, I thought "**** it".

With 12700k, 32GB RAM and now this, and no burning desire for RTX, hopefully I won't be upgrading for a very, very long time...

Good choice, if I was getting a 4090, I'd be getting this one.

Let us know how you find it.

Associate
How long did you think it would last @SirPsychoZe0 ?
Based on benchmarks, and my propensity to turn off wasteful graphics settings, I'd expect to be getting 120 fps on all my games at 4k at the moment. Going forward, I don't mind DLSS 2.0 on Quality settings, so I think I could stretch it further in the future with that. I genuinely think 4 years for my whole rig is doable. There's nothing beyond 4k 144hz (8k and 240hz have diminished returns not worth the cost, plus I'm hitting the age of 'natural anti aliasing' with me eyes!), so its going to be game engined which push things for me. I still don't see a killer RTX application in games, so with that off yeah I think 4 years.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Last edited:
Soldato
Good comparison with politics because it's the same lack of choice. 2 choices, both not really what you want. Nothing you can do about it.

Not true.. In the case of Nvidia or any other company flogging products... You just don't buy and they will quickly get their act together in time.

Politics well go out and vote next time then or well demonstrate or get into politics to fix the issues..

Always a choice. Just need to make the right one at the time.

Soldato
Good comparison with politics because it's the same lack of choice. 2 choices, both not really what you want. Nothing you can do about it.
Similar but there is something you can do and that it to not entertain either. Of course that means sacrifice and they know most people would rather someone else make the sacrifice. In political terms it means voting for a small party and risking getting someone you really don't want or starting your own party. In GPU terms you either not game or buy the least worst option, I bought a last gen card. I should have probably bought nothing.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
To be fair Jensen is doing what's best for Nvidia, it's their customers that fuel the behaviour ;) It's same when people complain about the politicians but they are voted in by the public. Both of them are well aware the average consumer is an idiot :cry:

Yeah, but would be worth saying that just to see the look on his face and hear his response.

Would probably be on the lines of we have an option available for you that has more vram called the 4090 :cry:

Soldato
Last edited:
Reactions: TNA
Man of Honour
Not true.. In the case of Nvidia or any other company flogging products... You just don't buy and they will quickly get their act together in time.

Politics well go out and vote next time then or well demonstrate or get into politics to fix the issues..

Always a choice. Just need to make the right one at the time.

Unfortunately very difficult to get people to come together on these things - happened with my home town football club - the owner wasn't running it for the best interests of the club and basically laughing at the fans for their impotence to do anything about it - some even defended him, most were like "that is the way it is we'll have to live with it" - took a long time to get people to come together in a concerted effort to starve the owner out but when finally people did he was gone within days.

Caporegime
Until someone can knock Nvidia down in AI there's not a great deal that retail dGPU plebs can do about it since Nvidia could just as easily conclude it's not worth it at all to serve this market.

Back
Top Bottom