• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Soldato
AI replacing staff, nobody has earnings then to buy stuff, AI just sits there and doesn't make money and the CEO's all scratch their heads what went wrong.
And it's not like we haven't seen this situation before... we only need to look at how online shopping hurt purely brick and mortar retail stores....

AI won't bring forth that Star Trek Utopia where money doesn't matter while we have people like Jenson and his shareholders trying to become billionaires etc

Oh and the keynote, well the snippets I've seen, just show how out of touch Jenson is with gamers, seriously trying to make fun of gamers and their high prices while pushing AI for gaming.... I REALLY wish the software I used had other options to cuda....

Last edited:
Soldato
LOL. Bit of a difference between then and now, the technology is here now to have an actual impact on "everything", again, hence why any company that has the money are investing a huge chunk of change into it, lots of ceos are seeing the cost saving figures behind implementing ai to layoff staff, why pay employees when you can cut your operating costs and get ai to do, not just a better job but more consistently and far more efficient.

The only way AI will get scrapped is if the laws get very strict around it and potentially the likes of openai has to leave the market as is potentially going to happen with EU or/and more sites start restricting the use of their data being scraped to assist in the machine learning (although this doesn't mean ai will get binned entirely, instead, more companies are wanting their own internal version not for public/external use).
ROFL. :cry: The 'technology' was there then, or do you think computers have only been invented in the last 20 years or something.

I have to ask but how long have you been involved in IT?

Associate
Plot. Bing Madsen (Daniel Kaluuya) lives in a room surrounded by screens that wake him up, serve as a video game console and feature regular adverts. He rides on a stationary bike to generate electricity in exchange for "merits", which he needs to pay for his daily cost of living.
Black Mirror have kind of covered that issue of no jobs. Get your legs into good shape for the future!

Caporegime
ROFL. :cry: The 'technology' was there then, or do you think computers have only been invented in the last 20 years or something.

I have to ask but how long have you been involved in IT?

You are seriously putting ai from back then against what we have now.... :cry: another clear sign you don't work in the industry or are junior level or rather apprentice level :cry:

Let me ask you, is there something you know that these well established companies who are pouring billions into AI don't know about? Clearly they need your expert industry opinion...

Also if you worked in development, you wouldn't be calling it IT :cry: Maybe if you work 1st level support back in the 90s, this makes sense why you call it IT....

Last edited:
Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
You are seriously putting ai from back then against what we have now.... :cry: another clear sign you don't work in the industry or are junior level or rather apprentice level :cry:

Let me ask you, is there something you know that these well established companies who are pouring billions into AI don't know about? Clearly they need your expert industry opinion...

Also if you worked in development, you wouldn't be calling it IT :cry: Maybe if you work 1st level support back in the 90s, this makes sense why you call it IT....
Here you go again with your usual strawman arguments, where did i say anything about "putting ai from back then against what we have now" other than in your imagination? Seriously how weak must your rebuttals be to constantly strawman people and throw around ad hominem attacks at any and all.

I've not pretended to 'know' anything, unlike you. I've simply stated the fact that we've seen AI booms & busts at least twice in the history of computers and nobody knows if this will turn out to be another, all the evidence seems to point towards it being just that but we'll have to wait and see.

What would you like me to call it then oh lord & master. :rolleyes: It's not gone unnoticed BTW that you failed to address the salient point and instead choose to throw another red herring out there.
But but but Jenson and Nvidia don't know what they're doing
Someone need to learn what stock markets are and how they often bear little relation to the actual value of companies.

Last edited:
Soldato
But but but Jenson and Nvidia don't know what they're doing :cry:
To be fair you could argue Nvidia are being incredibly lucky with being in the right place at the right time.... however I will give them credit for cuda being an easy to understand gpu transferable coding model that is the core of a lot of the AI software at the moment, until of course the dedicated hardware comes out just like it did with crypto and we watch their stocks fall again. In all honestly AMD could likely do the same if they didn't rely on opencl and had a more user friendly software stack...

Essentially their stocks are incredibly volatile, bit like crypto and arguably AI, which might get seriously impacted by legislation.

Oh and it's stocks which is more about getting people rich on speculation than anything else these days.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Here you go again with your usual strawman arguments, where did i say anything about "putting ai from back then against what we have now" other than in your imagination? Seriously how weak must your rebuttals be to constantly strawman people and throw around ad hominem attacks at any and all.

I've not pretended to 'know' anything, unlike you. I've simply stated the fact that we've seen AI booms & busts at least twice in the history of computers and nobody knows if this will turn out to be another, all the evidence seems to point towards it being just that but we'll have to wait and see.

What would you like me to call it then oh lord & master.
:rolleyes:
It's not gone unnoticed BTW that you failed to address the salient point and instead choose to throw another red herring out there.

Someone need to learn what stock markets are and how they often bear little relation to the actual value of companies.

No you made a silly statement of:

Maybe this time around it will be different but if *history is anything to go by i don't hold out much hope.

*Just like VR and 3D displays AI has been done in the past and never taken off, in fact there's been two AI winters (1974–1980 & 1987–1993).

i.e. insinuating that based on history, the ai we have now will be a fail based on history of incredibly inferior solutions, which couldn't even be considered machine learning at best

If you worked in the industry, you would understand this now is very different. Here do some research:

And guess what, the data these ai solutions are using is only up to September 2021 and we are on old versions of these models so not even seeing the full potential.

Again, I don't think the likes of chatgpt will be the be all but as is happening right now, companies are wanting their own internal versions of AI because of data concerns and who can access or use that data or who the data may be shared with e.g. someone copies and pastes code with sensitive info into likes of chatgpt, which then gets fed back as an answer to someone outside the firm, that can then be used to gain access to a firms network or/and sensitive info is leaked. Either way, even if companies come up with their own internal solutions, mostly they will still be using cloud providers services thus all that money is going to likes of microsoft, gcp, amazon, which in return is going to nvidia for their hardware or as shown with that advertising company, nvidia are getting directly involved themselves.

I don't need to explain what I do for work or how long I have been in the industry for to armchair experts that try to give the impression they are working in the industry themselves.

Last edited:
Soldato
If will likely also be the first to go from $1 trillion to $100 billion valuation :cry:
jPjCcpg.gif

They also have a new record to break too.. Elon Musk's..

Let's not forget what the Dot com bubble did... That crashed the US economy to an all time low...

Maybe Nvidia are trying to break that record too.. The A.I bubble that finally crashes the US economy to even worse levels than the Dot com bubble did... With the state of the USA currently with their National Debt Crisis.. it may become the straw that broke the camels back as they say...

We shall have to wait and see.. The Dot com bubble did help with building the internet as we know it but left a lot of people broke and economies around the world shaken. Lets hope they learned from them mistakes...

Last edited:
Caporegime
To be fair you could argue Nvidia are being incredibly lucky with being in the right place at the right time.... however I will give them credit for cuda being an easy to understand gpu transferable coding model that is the core of a lot of the AI software at the moment, until of course the dedicated hardware comes out just like it did with crypto and we watch their stocks fall again. In all honestly AMD could likely do the same if they didn't rely on opencl and had a more user friendly software stack...

Essentially their stocks are incredibly volatile, bit like crypto and arguably AI, which might get seriously impacted by legislation.

Oh and it's stocks which is more about getting people rich on speculation than anything else these days.

They have no doubt been lucky but at same time, it's also largely because of lack of direction/competition from their competitors hence why they have pretty much full control of the market.

No doubt we will see the stocks come down once the "hype" does die down and more companies get involved but to think the bubble for AI will burst completely is just delusional. There is no doubt going to be a lot of legislation around it, I suspect it will be more from companies themselves though for the reasons noted in my above post than for the good of the "people" so to speak.

Thankfully amd have done a complete u turn on their ai approach now though:

And intel have always been pushing it too, just not quite as advanced as nvidia here yet.....

Caporegime
They also have a new record to break too.. Elon Musk's..

TBF to musk, he sacked majority of the company (which alone would have reduced operating costs massively) and he wasn't wrong to do so as a lot of these big tech companies really are over staffed, most people only really have like 2-4 hours worth of actual work to do a day and often you have people who do literally just 1 area of work/working with one thing (and don't get me started on departments that provide no real benefit to the product/company either....), where as in start ups or mid tier type of companies or consulting, people are expected to do many things. Know a guy who went to facebook and he is bored out his mind because of how little he actually does.

We shall have to wait and see.. The Dot com bubble did help with building the internet as we know it but left a lot of people broke and economies around the world shaken. Lets hope they learned from them mistakes...

As noted above, this is my stance:

No doubt we will see the stocks come down once the "hype" does die down and more companies get involved but to think the bubble for AI will burst completely is just delusional. There is no doubt going to be a lot of legislation around it, I suspect it will be more from companies themselves though for the reasons noted in my above post than for the good of the "people" so to speak.

I'm firmly one who would like ai to fail or at least be very strictly monitored as whilst it has the potential to do a lot of good (experts are even saying, this is likely going to be able to assist in finding the final cure for cancer and the likes), the ultimate long term is incredibly bleak.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm firmly one who would like ai to fail or at least be very strictly monitored as whilst it has the potential to do a lot of good (experts are even saying, this is likely going to be able to assist in finding the final cure for cancer and the likes), the ultimate long term is incredibly bleak.

There is a lot of good that can come out of A.I I agree especially in medicine, science & technology, but there is also a lot of bad too in the wrong hands, so we must step with care with this technology when it really becomes mature. So far it is nothing more than a new toy we are learning to use and find applications for, also it is still very early stages to even class it in some cases as true A.I, but time and technology advancements will fix that hurdle too.

A.I is coming.. like it or not.. I actually like it but also fear it in the wrong hands.. All the movies about A.I will become true in time (if we don't end our existence before that with wars or diseases), then can we really call it A.I or new lifeform and a sentient one like us ? ( I know still sci-fi but so was star treks communicator (aka the mobile phone now) ) .

Read this today, some of the top people in tech are very worried about it too :-

Ohh regarding Elon and twitter.. sadly he's destroyed it and it's now full of spam/phishing bots and just users that seem to appear on every news tweet typing some rubbish, in the past they were easier to remove but the lack of staff at twitter maybe the reason no one is really doing anything about it, even when reported many times.. In the past a report would cure it within a few hours if not a day at max, now nothing gets done no matter how many reports are made. So no I don't like him in charge of twitter.. I do like the guy and what he has done but this is a platform he should have kept his hands off as he uses for nothing but to attract attention to himself in very poor ways sometimes.

Last edited:
Associate
But again, how are people going to force that change? By buying more nvidia products? :p Honestly, it just screams to me that some posters in here want to be able to buy nvidia products for cheaper but problem is, they are pointing the fingers at the wrong companies, amd, intel need to do better, if they did, we wouldn't be in this situation where nvidia are dominating, again, clearly amd, intel aren't providing an option given same old posters keep on buying nvidia products and not considering amd, intel, although tbf, tommy has finally made the move, he can finally sleep better at night :cry:

A couple of folk who are crying over the price of nvidia 40xx gpus have got 3090s :cry: The main crying point is about nvidia profit margins now and arguably, the 3090 is by far the worst for this yet those vocal users supported this by opening their wallet to Jenson, same to those who paid for titans and so on.

I agree, the prices are a joke for everything below flagship (same goes for amd too) but again, vote with your wallet.....
I agree but I don't think we can do anything about it, as I've said before even if the entirety of OcUK boycotts them it would only hurt OcUK not Nvidia, more to the point, how much does Nvidia really care about desktop sales? I'm asking as I really don't know but I get the impression they can do whatever the hell they want, would love to be wrong though.

I did, I'm not buying anything unless my current card breaks or I trip and fall on a 4K monitor.

Caporegime
There is a lot of good that can come out of A.I I agree especially in medicine & science, but there is also a lot of bad too in the wrong hands, so we must step with care with this technology when it really becomes mature. So far it is nothing more than a new toy we are learning to use and find applications for, also it is still very early stages to even class it in some cases as true A.I, but time and technology advancements will fix that hurdle too.

A.I is coming.. like it or not.. I actually like it but also fear it in the wrong hands.. All the movies about A.I will become true in time (if we don't end our existence before that with wars or diseases), then can we really call it A.I or new lifeform and a sentient one like us ? ( I know still sci-fi but so was star treks communicator (aka the mobile phone now) ) .

Read this today, some of the top people in tech are very worried about it too :-

I have my doubts on calling anything "AI" as AI to me is fully sentient like behaviour, able to think and come to it's own conclusion, so far anything which is always classed as "AI" is purely just machine learning and using a bunch of data to come to an answer, which is why openai/chatgpt is so good but once more companies start denying access to this data, it will become useless as without data, you got nothing and these ai solutions can't provide an answer. However, a lot of insiders/experts have also said that they view some of the ones we have now as well as ones behind closed doors as being "sentient", however, much like chatgpt, I think this is more because it can come back and answer in a very human like way, having used chatgpt for my work a fair bit now, you kind of become accustomed on how to identify a chatgpt answer as it has a certain writing style about it.

My work industry will 100% be impacted by AI but I can see the medical field being hit hard too:

I am currently waiting on access to this:

I agree but I don't think we can do anything about it, as I've said before even if the entirety of OcUK boycotts them it would only hurt OcUK not Nvidia, more to the point, how much does Nvidia really care about desktop sales? I'm asking as I really don't know but I get the impression they can do whatever the hell they want, would love to be wrong though.

I did, I'm not buying anything unless my current card breaks or I trip and fall on a 4K monitor.

I personally think it's too late now, at least for now, this AI will more than make up for lost sales in the dgpu space and you can bet amd will be looking to get their fingers in many of those pies now before nvidia do.

Associate
We frame it negatively but when a bubble pops that's the market correcting to what it's actually worth.

It's hard to really criticise someone for not chasing after the next big thing when everyone else is making a killing doing it though.

Soldato
We frame it negatively but when a bubble pops that's the market correcting to what it's actually worth.

It's hard to really criticise someone for not chasing after the next big thing when everyone else is making a killing doing it though.
Do it but do it with your eyes wide open. I remember the dot com bubble and normies remortgaging their houses to buy "sure thing" stocks and losing the lot. The big players, the savvy investors all win at the price of the average person. People fall into the same trap every time, because "this time it's different" ;)

Back
Top Bottom