• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Man of Honour
Just LOL when the "4060ti" is trailing the 3060ti in Diablo 4... how ludicrous does it have to get.

Even the "4070" is pretty underwhelming by the looks of it if you were coming from a 3060ti - need to go to the "4070ti" at a minimum to see a worthwhile uplift...

Last edited:
Soldato
Just LOL when the "4060ti" is trailing the 3060ti in Diablo 4... how ludicrous does it have to get.

Even the "4070" is pretty underwhelming by the looks of it if you were coming from a 3060ti - need to go to the "4070ti" at a minimum to see a worthwhile uplift...

This happens because the newer GPUs have fewer cores than the old one. It results in situations where the older one is faster because it has more cores even though those cores are slower. The 4060ti has 4352 cores while the 3060ti has 4864 cores

This happens in CPU land as well it's just not very common that a new cpu is smaller than the old one. The last time was Intel 11th Gen CPUs, the 11900k had 8 cores but its predecessor the 10900k had 10 cores and the 11900k would lose in some test because it had fewer cores

Last edited:
Associate

There is no upgrade path for the 4000 generation if you have the older 3000 cards and needless to say pricing is total out of whack for whats being offered.

Soldato
But if you're paying 1% more money for 1% more performance it's not an upgrade. (I say that without knowing what the price and *performance increases actually are)

*That alone can be hard to pin down as there's so many variables (1080p, 1440p, 4k, what games are selected or even if your talking about games and not productivity).

e: The impression i get is that the 40 series cards, more so at the high end and almost non-existent at the low end, have higher performance increases than price increases but as you move down the stack you start seeing almost parallel increases in performance and price to the extent that the 4060 Ti even goes into reverse in some situations, that you're paying the same money for worse performance.

Last edited:
Caporegime
But if you're paying 1% more money for 1% more performance it's not an upgrade. (I say that without knowing what the price and *performance increases actually are)

*That alone can be hard to pin down as there's so many variables (1080p, 1440p, 4k, what games are selected or even if your talking about games and not productivity).

e: The impression i get is that the 40 series cards, more so at the high end and almost non-existent at the low end, have higher performance increases than price increases but as you move down the stack you start seeing almost parallel increases in performance and price to the extent that the 4060 Ti even goes into reverse in some situations, that you're paying the same money for worse performance.
Yes, obviously some 4000 cards are not a tangible upgrade that much is clear, but we can't make a generalized statement saying "There is no upgrade path for the 4000 generation if you have the older 3000 cards.", because that is simply not true.

Last edited:
Soldato
Well no, yea, that was a silly thing to say. There's an upgrade path if you've got £1k plus, for the rest of us plebs though, not so much. :(

Associate
What's 4090 should I be buying?

Suprim x/liquid/waterforce? Weighing up my choices.

I heard they have better cooling and overclocking capabilities? or should I just get whatevers available and spend the savings elsewhere?
I ended up getting a suprim x thinking I was ordering the liquid version (don't order during work) but I'm happy with what I purchased in hindsight. Looks better in the case with the rgb effects.

I haven't really pushed it yet as the only games I've played aren't that demanding on the system. But CUDA based demands have the 4090 at least breaking a sweat. Maybe there are beefier models out there? It was big but not as big as i was expecting based on what I was reading.

Soldato
It really is shockingly bad. What in heaven's name is NVIDIA thinking? Did they seriously think we would fall for this? I guess they did.

Just assumed the pandemic/crypto demand spike was permanent and they could get away with murder. Of course now there's an AI/LLM spike but it's all happening in a different product segment this time so there's less confusing the demand with gaming which seems to be withering on the vine.

Associate
But think about the power consumption...
I do wonder if Nvidia had launched all of the 4000 series items as 3000 'super' series and really focussed their marketing on the power savings (and kept pricing in line) with the 3000 series if they'd have had a much better response.

I have no plans to change my 3070, the 4070 isn't much of an improvement and the 4080 costs over twice what I paid for my 3070 - but the power savings do appeal a little right now with the energy prices. It's the same reason why the 7800x3D appeals to me more than the 13900k. A sub 50w power draw at gaming loads? Sign me up for that.

If they'd released a 3070 Super that was the current 4070 and bumped the pricing from 469 to 499 - then I reckon the response would have been pretty tidy.

Soldato
I do wonder if Nvidia had launched all of the 4000 series items as 3000 'super' series and really focussed their marketing on the power savings (and kept pricing in line) with the 3000 series if they'd have had a much better response.

I have no plans to change my 3070, the 4070 isn't much of an improvement and the 4080 costs over twice what I paid for my 3070 - but the power savings do appeal a little right now with the energy prices. It's the same reason why the 7800x3D appeals to me more than the 13900k. A sub 50w power draw at gaming loads? Sign me up for that.

If they'd released a 3070 Super that was the current 4070 and bumped the pricing from 469 to 499 - then I reckon the response would have been pretty tidy.

I watched a DerBauer video where he talks about the energy savings from new gen to old gen using current EU energy prices, i think over the span of 1 year wasn't a lot at all in terms of energy saving but if you kept the card longer for 3+ years then on the same prices (provided they don't change) then it was a lot more. If i can find the video or the section where he talks about this i'll link it.

Last edited:
Soldato

If they could have done that much sooner, maybe the reception would have been bettter.

The 4000 series does feel more like a mid-gen refresh, but it's much too late to be a "refresh".

Nvidia just couldn't muster meaningful performance increases at mainstream price points this gen.

Last edited:
Caporegime
This makes zero logical sense... release a new product architecture that has 1.5-2x the power as a "Super" series of previous generation cards? There really are some hilarious posts in this thread.

Only the 4060 and below really, really suck. The 4070 is mediocre, the 4080 is good and the 4090 is amazing.

Last edited:
Soldato
Like, even as a modest 3060 user there's little to be tempted by in the 4000 lineup.

4060: not released yet but appears to be lol tier card.

4060 ti: decent core performance boost but the memory subsystem is seriously limited. There will be scenarios where the 4060 ti actually falls behind and DLSS3 won't help much there because it's mostly good for boosting FPS when already at 60+.

4070: less than twice as much performance for slightly less than twice as much money, two years later, meh.

Everything else: an expensive irrelevance.

Last edited:
Soldato
I watched a DerBauer video where he talks about the energy savings from new gen to old gen using current EU energy prices, i think over the span of 1 year wasn't a lot at all in terms of energy saving but if you kept the card longer for 3+ years then on the same prices (provided they don't change) then it was a lot more. If i can find the video or the section where he talks about this i'll link it.
Lower power means also lower heat. Quite nice during summer.

Back
Top Bottom