• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Associate
So we get rid of all the high end cards. How does that benefit anyone?
How is that what your takeaway from my post?

High end cards absolutely need to exist and should be priced accordingly - but just because a 4090 costs 1500 doesn't mean a 4070 should cost 600 and suddenly be 'midrange'.

Caporegime
So if Nvidia released a 5090 for 2.5k and a 5060 for 1200 you'd think it would be absolutely fine spending that much on a 'mid-range' card?

I'm not paying 1200 for a graphics card whether it's midrange or the highest point of the hierarchy, yet alone 2500. But if other people are doing that, then the cards I'm buying are going to start being low-end.

Soldato
That's the exact definition of midrange!
I think you may be being a little disingenuous here, that's not the exact definition, the exact definition is the mid point of a sample. Depending on what you're sampling that mid point is going to change so restricting your sample to a single generation will give you different results than doing across multiple, doing it on price will give you another, performance another.

Caporegime
I think you may be being a little disingenuous here, that's not the exact definition, the exact definition is the mid point of a sample. Depending on what you're sampling that mid point is going to change so restricting your sample to a single generation will give you different results than doing across multiple, doing it on price will give you another, performance another.

No, that would be the midpoint of a sample. Compared to most cards ever released, obviously, a 4060 is knocking it out the park, but all cards ever released is not the "range". The "range" is the cards which are being offered for sale (or will shortly be offered, since companies tend to release their ranges from the top). I don't think this is an unusual use of the word range - if you're talking about Ford's range of cars, you're not included a '67 Mustang in that.

The 4060 is pretty clearly in the middle of the range of enthusiast graphics card. There are cards above it and cards below it.

It is not reasonable to expect a card from the middle of the range to be able to play cutting edge games on maximum settings at high resolutions; game companies are always going to target those towards the best cards around (or even beyond that, since it's expected that the next generation will be more powerful).

Soldato
We're not talking about statistics. This is the definition you're looking for:

"You can use mid-range to describe products or services which are neither the most expensive nor the cheapest of their type."​
No, we very much are. What do you think products or services (plural) are if not a statistical sample.

e: Maybe i should rephrase that as i assume you found it amusing because you didn't understand: What do you think the performance/price of products or services (plural) are if not a statistical sample.

I had assumed you'd know that we're talking about price/performance because i can't think of what other metric you'd use to know what the mid-range of a sample of graphics card is.

Last edited:
Associate
I remember buying a GTX 690 which was an SLI card packed into one if I'm not mistaken and the price was either 699.99 or 799.99 at launch and I believe it was the best gpu you could get at the time whenever it launched.

And I thought it was pricey at the time, haven't bought a new gaming pc since then and upgraded to a 4090 suprim x costing me almost £1900. I could have got a 2nd hand model or a zotac etc for 400 less but that is an insane jump for the higher end however you spin it. Having said that I'm hitting 144hz without breaking a sweat in every game at max settings... and probably will be hitting 240hz so the expectations for a high end card have matched the price increases imo.

Last edited:
Associate
I agree, I would class 1080 as the minimum for a gaming card. 1440 for mid tier and 4K for your top end cards.
But you can't class GPU's in tiers based off resolution, you need to take into account refresh rates and quality settings too.

I think Wikipedia does a good job of classifying cards - although I would be more inclined to move the 3080Ti into 'high-end'.

Entry-level
  • GeForce RTX 3050
  • GeForce RTX 3060 (8 GB)
Mid-range
  • GeForce RTX 3060 (12 GB)
  • GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
High-end
  • GeForce RTX 3070
  • GeForce RTX 3070 Ti
  • GeForce RTX 3080
  • GeForce RTX 3080 (12 GB)
Enthusiast
  • GeForce RTX 3080 Ti
  • GeForce RTX 3090
  • GeForce RTX 3090 Ti

Last edited:
Associate
But you can't class GPU's in tiers based off resolution, you need to take into account refresh rates and quality settings too.

But as a rough guide I think it's acceptable, I would be looking at max settings for each card and was not using it as the definitive way to class cards.

Soldato
Do you really think it's realistic that a card costing well in excess of a thousand pounds could have been developed and sold for 500?

Be serious.

The margins could be smaller, but there is no 4090 level card in a world where the high end cards cost 500.

That world might have been 2009, e.g. the GTX 295 shipped more stuff on the board at-the-time-equivalent for $500, although I guess that would be more like $700 today.

Back
Top Bottom