• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Soldato
Transistor count is meaningless in terms of size, cost, performance and pretty much everything other than 'look how good our fabrication process is'.
You have to realize how silly the method you are using really is. Let's say the full Ada die had the same transistor count as Turing did, and then they gave you the 4090 using the full, 100% die. According to your method, that would be FANTASTIC. Even though that hypothetical 4090 would be much much much slower than the one you are currently getting.

Do you want to inherit 100% of the wealth of a poor person or 70% of the wealth of a rich person?

Associate
You have to realize how silly the method you are using really is. Let's say the full Ada die had the same transistor count as Turing did, and then they gave you the 4090 using the full, 100% die. According to your method, that would be FANTASTIC. Even though that hypothetical 4090 would be much much much slower than the one you are currently getting.

Do you want to inherit 100% of the wealth of a poor person or 70% of the wealth of a rich person?
Well said. Puts it all into perspective. Clearly I’m favouring the latter (70% of rich persons wealth lol)

Soldato
So it costs more to make a true old fashioned 80 class gpu- hence it’s not economically achievable for Nvidia which explains why comparing to past gen die sizes and scrutinising value for money might be inaccurate?

What’s AMDs excuse then?
The 3080 die cost around $65 to make assuming a 90% yield, 4080 die built on a AD102 would cost $197 with a 90% yield so an increase of $132 but then the card is $500 more so plenty of profit in there for Nvidia.

The die AD103 die Nvidia ended up using is $55 more than an AD102 yet the card costs $500 more so I don't think Nvidia is economically constrained.

AMDs architecture was a failure and would have only been around the 70 class tier if Nvidia had stuck with previous die sizes but luckily for them Nvidia didn't and even more conveniently Nvidia jacked prices by a ridiculous amount so allowed AMD to sell their failed products at much more than they would have otherwise been able to.

Soldato

Wasn't my method, you brought up the transistor count somehow being related to how big the die is. If they used "the full Ada die" it would be at the maximum reticle size of (iirc) 300mm², there's no relation between transistor count and the size of the die, you could make a 300mm² die with one transistor on it if you wanted.

Soldato
The 3080 die cost around $65 to make assuming a 90% yield, 4080 die built on a AD102 would cost $197 with a 90% yield so an increase of $132 but then the card is $500 more so plenty of profit in there for Nvidia.

The die AD103 die Nvidia ended up using is $55 more than an AD102 yet the card costs $500 more so I don't think Nvidia is economically constrained.

AMDs architecture was a failure and would have only been around the 70 class tier if Nvidia had stuck with previous die sizes but luckily for them Nvidia didn't and even more conveniently Nvidia jacked prices by a ridiculous amount so allowed AMD to sell their failed products at much more than they would have otherwise been able to.
Nvidia is not selling you dies. They are selling you gpus, and you are buying them for the performance metrics. Again, let's flip the script. Let's say nvidia made a massive Uber expensive die that costs them 900$ to produce. If it underperformed massively, would you be paying 1.5k to buy just because it cost a lot? Of course not. So why do you care about the die cost now?

Soldato
Nvidia is not selling you dies. They are selling you gpus, and you are buying them for the performance metrics. Again, let's flip the script. Let's say nvidia made a massive Uber expensive die that costs them 900$ to produce. If it underperformed massively, would you be paying 1.5k to buy just because it cost a lot? Of course not. So why do you care about the die cost now?
Because the costs of the die dictate if it's good value or not, like you say if it was a 300mm² die costing $900, had 1k transistors on it, and performed like a GeForce 256 then nobody would buy it because it would be bad value. Like i said transistor count is meaningless in terms of size, cost, performance and pretty much everything. The size of the die is only relevant in terms of cost.
Exactly, so why are you comparing % of dies between models as if It means anything?
I'm not. :confused:

e: It was Joxeon who drew the comparison but then that wasn't a comparison between % of dies between models. It was a comparison of CUDA core percentage between models.

Last edited:
Soldato
I’d argue that most of the ADA gpus do under perform in terms of their costs, for the new higher prices they are asking we should be getting +100% performance at each tier.

Nvidia could have given us this by using the same sized die’s as last gen and still made more money per card than ever before.

Associate
I’d argue that most of the ADA gpus do under perform in terms of their costs, for the new higher prices they are asking we should be getting +100% performance at each tier.

Nvidia could have given us this by using the same sized die’s as last gen and still made more money per card than ever before.
yeah but they can make even more money by not doing that cause **** you thats why

Soldato

So that's what we should be talking about. Performance and price. Who gives a duck about dies transistors and cores. The 4090 is a great card and I don't care what % of the full die it is. It could be 1%, don't matter to me.

Soldato
So that's what we should be talking about. Performance and price. Who gives a duck about dies transistors and cores. The 4090 is a great card and I don't care what % of the full die it is. It could be 1%, don't matter to me.
True, however die size dictates price or at least value. If it cost $9000 to make a 300mm² die then few, if any, people are going to buy them.

Soldato
A 4090 offers +70% performance for +7% more cost, a 4080 on the other hand offers +48% more performance at +72% more cost, can you not see just how poor that is?

Soldato
A 4090 offers +70% performance for +7% more cost, a 4080 on the other hand offers +48% more performance at +72% more cost, can you not see just how poor that is?
Sure never said the 4080 is great value.

Doesn't change the fact that I'm feeling stupid talking about how poor value nvidia cards when the competition is even worse.

Soldato
AMD are actually slightly better but still really poor, at least with their new stuff.
Yeah with the price drops sure, but on launch holy cow they were bad. Which is my point, as offensive as the 4070tis price was, it basically offered better performance per dollar in both rt and raster than the 7900xt, while consuming much less power and offering more features. I would honestly feel like an idiot complaining about the 4070ti price back then, yet people did.

Soldato
Yeah with the price drops sure, but on launch holy cow they were bad. Which is my point, as offensive as the 4070tis price was, it basically offered better performance per dollar in both rt and raster than the 7900xt, while consuming much less power and offering more features. I would honestly feel like an idiot complaining about the 4070ti price back then, yet people did.
The 4070ti is bad regardless, just because AMD was worse at that time didn’t suddenly make the 4070ti any better.

Soldato
The 4070ti is bad regardless, just because AMD was worse at that time didn’t suddenly make the 4070ti any better.
Of course. That doesn't stop me from feeling it's stupid to complain about the lesser of 2 evils.

I walk down the street and I see someone stealing peoples wallets and someone else shooting people with an ak47. I would be a tiny bit more bothered by the shooting guy.

Back
Top Bottom