• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Well ultimately the biggest problem we're going to have is unemployment which in return means no one buying things so economy is going to go down the toilet even more, a lot of people are saying about introducing a universal basic income as it is a very real threat ai to the economy long term but then handing out everyone an income is going to introduce its own problems too. Sadly a lot of companies/leadership are stating things like "AI won't take jobs, just means people can work on more important less boring things" which is a load of **** as evidenced with all the layoffs. The other big problem we're going to face is that AI is enabling lesser skilled/knowledgeable folk to do higher skilled work that they would have never been able to do before, which means salaries could very well stagnate or possibly even see certain job salaries go down particularly in the software development industry since why pay more for someone who can just ask a tool to write the code for them.

Even skilled jobs like pilots or surgeons could be under threat. But the top lot are so obsessed about playing the short term,quick buck game,etc why do they care? After all just look at the mess when it comes to energy supplies and food security in many places. I would have thought after Covid it would have put things in perspective,but nope just double down on things.

Last edited:
Well in work, we're all using copilot (github and for microsoft azure), duet AI (GCPs ai) and so far, it's very impressive for technical assistance, it has come along way in terms of being more precise and in some of our products, we're using open ai and Googles vertex ai for chat like functionality, basically things like being able to summarise documents and picking out key information rather than trolling through thousands of pages. Seeing various companies wanting to adapt it in their products especially where first line/entry level kind of roles are concerned. A lot of the drive around wanting to adapt the tech is being centered around making existing processes "more efficient and making people more productive" thus "cutting costs".

In terms of gaming? So far, we still only really have nvidias ray reconstruction, DLSS and the npc narrative/facial expressions. I imagine we'll see some more gaming use cases come nvidias announcement though.

Ok, I was thinking there is something more by the tone that I've read your previous message :p .
I use the ChatGPT payed version and Bing when needed, including for some transformations (relatively simple) at work and... don't know, when it works is fine, but it can have a mind of its own and it takes some time to train it. By then I have to go home, working day over. Next day, with a different session (even within the same chat/conversation window), doesn't know what was talked about - so limited memory. Maybe yours has more resources allocated or something, but... outside of giving me some nice pointers in Excel and some troubleshooting options for a setting in my photo camera is more like a... novelty.

Right now I've made a picture with some simple Lego bricks and I've asked it to identify and tell how many they are. Nope, it can't do that, told me to sort them out myself and count :))

The vast majority of games with ray tracing for starters, some even come with RT enabled by default with no way to turn it off. The consoles have a cut down version of said tech whilst the PC gets the full whack as documented many times by the usual big name tech review outlets.

Yeah path tracing is limited to just two games really right now, but as a showcase of what is possible when combining all of these technologies to deliver graphics that no console can dream of matching, but ultimately you need to have an RTX PC to be able to get decent fps out of, yeah that I can see.

Edit*
Yes 2024 is going to be the year of AI infused gaming. Just wait and see what comes out of the generative AI stuff in relation to NPC interactions. Nexusmods will probably need a new section just for AI mods for existing games. Maybe Starfield will actually get some decent dialogue finally :p

Well sure, RT is present, but that comes with the console implementation. You just dial a setting to 10, we're not getting PT by default or something.
For NPC interactions, if it's just ChatGPT v3.5 free version, thx, but no thx. Jason's demo for sure won't run o a mid range GPU with graphics and RT on too! :)

That’s what Nvidia will get though so it works for them.

You’ll probably be able to get 400 quid back if the 5070 is £600 and matches the 4080 with better efficiency.

Apart from Nvidia none else has made any money out of AI yet, open AI are losing $700000 a day and they are supposed to be one of the successes, they would have probably gone bust already without Microsoft’s backing.

Well, nVIDIA gets its money, we get our fun. Besides, no one is forcing a 4080 owner to upgrade to a 5080 is the performance jump is not reasonable in his mind.

I do wonder whether companies worldwide are thinking things through. They could be using AI to expand their businesses and improving the working conditions of their workers,so people have less need to slave away at their job. Instead they are more interested in short term overhead reductions,by cutting their workforces even more. The issue is if you end making large amounts of the workforce redundant,where is the magic money tree going to come from? There is only so much debt and magic money governments can create before the system turns on itself.
Yeah, is pretty much game over once AI is smart enough to be creative and solve problems. Upload it into a robot and can do almost all jobs. Classic capitalistic economy goes to ****.

eah, is pretty much game over once AI is smart enough to be creative and solve problems.
It's an interesting discussion fit for another thread in another sub but yes, and no is my take. In order to 1:1 mimic human creativity, all the synapses and firing neurons of the human brain need to be simulated. Will that happen in our lifetime? Maybe, but it's not something that will affect us in coming years unless the speed at which AI is advancing goes beyond reasonable control (aka in the hands of bad actors). All it takes is one instance of a technological singularity for the whole thing to blow open. AI can self replicate, it can create its own language, if in control of a production line factory, then it can create host shells as robots and upload each replicated "self" and operate as a hive, the capability to do that right now exists, it's just under strict control by actual people.

This 100% will lead to massive job losses, I don't think it will result in creative job losses though because of the first part mentioned above. Human creativity comes from the random nature of the human brain wanting to experiment and try new things. A machine brain works in logic, it knows if something will or won't work, it's done the billions of calculations before deciding already to know that so technically an AI's creative piece would technically be "perfect" every time and be exactly the same. Human creativity isn't perfect, and that imperfection makes it valuable - Brush strokes on a painting, the subtle tonal difference in music instruments being played by a specific artist etc.

It's the random everyday jobs that will be first to go, stuff like a customer service person on the end of a phone, waiters at a restaurant, vast majority of forms of physical labour jobs which machines can do perfectly every time and quicker without any lunch breaks etc.

Also keep in mind that the more you use Bing AI, ChatGPT and any of the other AI chatbots, the more you are helping train them, the LLM data generated through all these billions of interactions with humans online each week is only making it develop even faster. It's fun for us, but it's helping make the AI even better and make these companies billions of $£ in the process.

This is the time to start learning AI development, doesn't have to be too complex, just a way to make small businesses benefit, I have a few ideas in mind that would have immediate wins, but I have little in the way of application development skill so is something to learn!

There are a lot of very interesting (and quite alarming) AI developments outside the consumer market. I try not to think about it too much but then I also intend to pivot more towards it so just delaying the inevitable. Exciting times.

Source for that? Or is that just a guess?

If a 4070 Ti Super launches for £700-750 here and offers 4080 perf, that's not bad but a bit late now.
even if the above prices were correct, we wont see that imo. with the £ as it is at the moment and the fact that the us prices are usually quoted pre tax, we will be lucky to get a £ to $ parity imo.

so IF those prices were correct then maybe if we are REALLY lucky we may see that dollar price in £, less maybe £20... but i would say £ to $ match.

You would be so lucky to see this fine ass

When was the last time you saw it? :p

discord-discord-mod.gif

Back
Top Bottom