• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

if they were selling well

I know a lot of people who game on PC in the UK outside of the enthusiast crowd and most have opted to keep their older hardware as the cost of living has dramatically shot up over the last 2 years, A GPU to play video games is the last thing most people are thinking about.

I know a lot of people who game on PC in the UK outside of the enthusiast crowd and most have opted to keep their older hardware as the cost of living has dramatically shot up over the last 2 years, A GPU to play video games is the last thing most people are thinking about.
I was all set on a 4080 before the reveal but after seeing the specs for the price it felt like an insult so I decided I would get an AMD card for the first time in years as a protest and theirs turned out no better so I've stuck with what I have, despite easily being able to afford these cards I'm not being mugged off.

Last edited:
I was all set on a 4080 before the reveal but after seeing the specs for the price it felt like an insult so I decided I would get an AMD card for the first time in years as a protest and theirs turned out no better so I've stuck with what I have, despite easily being able to afford these cards I'm not being mugged off.

Indeed, As Sigourney Weaver said in Avatar "They're just p*****g on us without even giving us the courtesy of calling it rain".

is there anything game wise which is really pushing people to get new hardware now anyway?

i think i read somewhere recently that in the last 5 years the mid range "60" series of cards have only improved performance by about 40%...................... if you have a 3060 level of card and you are happy with medium settings then what is there right now which you would be thinking............ "I just have to get that upgrade because i want to play game X and it just is not happening".

Back in the day i remember that happening for strike commander and more recently crysis (my 7800 gtx was not running that at all well!!!) but i dont think there is anything remotely like that now.

sure there is star citizen but 1) that is not out yet and wont be any time soon and 2) from what i have read the storage speed is likely more important than having the absolute best GPU.

higher up the chain, what games are there that a 3080 will struggle to run? ok perhaps you would need to dial back on the ray tracing a bit...... but other than that the 3080 is a capable 4k gaming card, and there is not much in the VR space which demands the highest end cards these days (i guess that may change now with the ability to force most UE4 games into vr but i have not tried that yet).

TLDR
where is the new crysis to get people needing to get their new cards.

Last edited:
Yup AW 2 and CP 2077 PT and portal rtx remix (although they actually are well optimised given the visuals on display and being path tracing....)

higher up the chain, what games are there that a 3080 will struggle to run? ok perhaps you would need to dial back on the ray tracing a bit...... but other than that the 3080 is a capable 4k gaming card, and there is not much in the VR space which demands the highest end cards these days (i guess that may change now with the ability to force most UE4 games into vr but i have not tried that yet).

Speaking from personal experience with a 3080 @ 4k and 3440x1440 175hz. The above are the only games I have really had severe issues with due to lack of grunt and at the time no frame gen. and where I felt the need for 4080/4090. Thanks to fsr 3 being open source and modders though, even a 3080 will now handle those somewhat well depending on what fps and res. you value, obviously will need to use dlss balanced or performance mode though.

There were some other hard hitting games like hogwarts, ratchet and clank and the last of us but as shown with the several patches they have had, runs much better now.

3gcre5J.jpg

Alan wake 2, but that's an EGS exclusive, so may as well not exist for a lot of pc gamers.
Whilst it's a good game for cinematic visual flare, it's a very linear and static game world which highly strangely uses screen space shadows and baked lighting when indoors a lot of the time, so you don't actually get the full path traced presentation that the internet has gone mad over.

Cyberpunk with path tracing and the Nova LUT mod (simple text edit mod is all it is) results in at times near photo realism, and because it's path traced, will absolutely destroy GPUs that don't have 40xx in their RTX name :p

Last edited:
Anyone seen the Nvidia advert for Jan 8th? Looks a little different than the current 4000 FE design with LED arrow head kind of lighting on top unless that's meant to be a reflection.

3gcre5J.jpg

Whilst it's a good game for cinematic visual flare, it's a very linear and static game world which highly strangely uses screen space shadows and baked lighting when indoors a lot of the time, so you don't actually get the full path traced presentation that the internet has gone mad over.

Cyberpunk with path tracing and the Nova LUT mod (simple text edit mod is all it is) results in at times near photo realism, and because it's path traced, will absolutely destroy GPUs that don't have 40xx in their RTX name :p

Please don't post MLID horse **** in here :p :cry:

if the 4070 super is 599, AMD will be happy with that, £100 more than the 7800xt. less vram, basically paying 20% more for dlss n few % in raster.

£100 more for a superior upscaler, better frame gen and in more games officially, DLDSR, better for RT/PT, £100 extra is pretty good for all that imo (but I use all of them features)

£100 more for a superior upscaler, better frame gen and in more games officially, DLDSR, better for RT/PT, £100 extra is pretty good for all that imo (but I use all of them features)
Yeah, considering DLSS is good all the way down to Performance even on lower resolutions + FG, will give a better performance / visual quality than AMD in games where those are in.

Please don't post MLID horse **** in here :p :cry:

im not so sure, no denying what you say on dlss etc, but its still 100 quid, thats a fair chunk

Yeah, considering DLSS is good all the way down to Performance even on lower resolutions + FG, will give a better performance / visual quality than AMD in games where those are in.

Yeah the ability to be able to use lower dlss modes is pretty impressive now especially at res less than 4k.

im not so sure, no denying what you say on dlss etc, but its still 100 quid, thats a fair chunk
True suppose it's down to how much one values, when spending £600+, another £100 isn't that much imo and for that £100 you are future proofing yourself better imo but obviously if you don't use/want them features then you're better of getting the cheaper gpu.

Yeah the ability to be able to use lower dlss modes is pretty impressive now especially at res less than 4k.

True suppose it's down to how much one values, when spending £600+, another £100 isn't that much imo and for that £100 you are future proofing yourself better imo but obviously if you don't use/want them features then you're better of getting the cheaper gpu.
but not everyone thinks same way, and theres 12gb v 16gb arguments, im sitting this gen out, and to be fair never had any issues with nvidia, well except prices :cry: we shall see what appears in Q4 maybe

Last edited:
but not everyone thinks same way, and theres 12gb v 16gb arguments, im sitting this gen out, and to be fair never had any issues with nvidia, well except prices :cry: we shall see what appears in Q4 maybe

Yup likewise! This gen overall by both amd and Nvidia have been pretty poor all round for what they're offering and the prices they're asking

Back
Top Bottom