• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

On the flip I'm guessing you expect the 5090 to have 32GB then? I think they'll stick with 24 myself.
24 is fine for gaming right now and the shift to GDDR7 I dont think we'll be getting anymore, the 80 might go up to 20 and the 70 to 16 while the 60ti will probably get 12.

On the flip I'm guessing you expect the 5090 to have 32GB then? I think they'll stick with 24 myself.

I would be surprised if they stick with 24, only because historically they’ve never gone more than 2 generations on the flagship GPU with the same amount of VRAM (10xx/20xx). Every other flagship that I can think of saw a bump in VRAM. If they stick with 24 that would be three generations which seems a bit much.

I would be surprised if they stick with 24, only because historically they’ve never gone more than 2 generations on the flagship GPU with the same amount of VRAM (10xx/20xx). Every other flagship that I can think of saw a bump in VRAM. If they stick with 24 that would be three generations which seems a bit much.

Keep in mind next ones will be gddr7 so will cost more. But who knows they may go more and just charge more for the 5090. As you can see from this forum many are happy to pay so why not I suppose?

But 5080 and 5070 will likely be 16GB which would be fine by me.

PS5 Pro is being touted to sticking with 16GB total too, so would likely be fine.
The consoles exclusively use upscaling though remember, so whilst 16GB will be fine, those DLDSR or "native" purists may be left wanting for a little more on newer titles that are heavy on textures etc maybe. Also the general texture resolution on console vs PC for the same games has a noticeable difference where PC is higher which is expected, so higher mem usage follows.

Last edited:
16GB VRAM should be fine for the next 4-6 years, at the least, but 20GB VRAM does give more peace of mind, but at a cost, for the moment.

In the end though it comes down to how much you are willing to pay.
If you have no problems paying £1000+ for a graphics card then you will always be ahead of the curve.

If you are in the mid range, and God help us, that's the £500-£600 mark, now then the amount of VRAM matters, as you will want the most bang for your buck, and a card that will give 5+ years of service at least.

The consoles exclusively use upscaling though remember, so whilst 16GB will be fine, those DLDSR or "native" purists may be left wanting for a little more on newer titles that are heavy on textures etc maybe. Also the general texture resolution on console vs PC for the same games has a noticeable difference where PC is higher which is expected, so higher mem usage follows.

But that's what DLSS is for. You enable DLDSR then enable DLSS to Performance if need be and job done.

environment is pretty static in general, light sources can't de destroyed
Compared to the only other game with path tracing, Night City is a world full of things to blow up and shoot. I'm talking about Alan Wake of course. Not including Portal RTX and stuff as they aren't fully finished releases but more tech previews whereas AW2 and CP2077 are release products with matured path tracing.

As for light sources can't be destroyed, this is not true, many can't be, but others can:

Strangely the street lampposts down in the city itself blow out without the dimming delay like above out in the hills, maybe spacetime continuum or some such :eek:

It's determined by bus width. I can't see them going wider than 384 bits, in which case the only option for increased VRAM would be 36GB which is way too much of an increase.

Last edited:
Then please don't post such explicit comments like you were 'told' such and such, we have enough bull**** floating around on here!! I should know, I post most of it :D

We had whole conversation threads about how nvidia were gonna price at silly prices. I'll ridicule them I think. Might learn for next time.

Last edited:
It's determined by bus width. I can't see them going wider than 384 bits, in which case the only option for increased VRAM would be 36GB which is way too much of an increase.

It also depends on what RAM chips are available. You can have denser RAM on the same bus width.

I doubt they will go 384 bit, but if double density RAM is available by the time it comes out, then 48GB is easily possible.

edit:

Doesn't look like GDDR7 will see a jump. Still 16Gb chips.

As for capacity, Samsung’s first GDDR7 chips are 16Gb, matching the existing density of today’s top GDDR6(X) chips. So memory capacities on final products will not be significantly different from today’s products, assuming identical memory bus widths. DRAM density growth as a whole has been slowing over the years due to scaling issues, and GDDR7 will not be immune to that.

Last edited:
All signs point to first gen gddr7 being only a mild improvement over gddr6x in terms of raw performance. Power draw may be lower which is a benefit too, but cost will be higher and performance only mildly improved. Probably have to wait for 2nd gen to realise the full benefits of gddr7

Last edited:
It also depends on what RAM chips are available. You can have denser RAM on the same bus width.

I doubt they will go 384 bit, but if double density RAM is available by the time it comes out, then 48GB is easily possible.

48GB is easily possible now, just by going back to the 24x chip design of the 3090 but with the 16Gb chips used on the 3090Ti and 4090.

48GB is clearly way too much for a consumer class product though as the price would rocket for no appreciable gains.

36GB would be possible if 24Gb chips became available but, as you say, there's no sign of this happening yet.

Back
Top Bottom