• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Interface yes, I noticed that when I changed too. The software offerings like Reflex, DLDSR, DLSS and such are overall better than AMD's offerings though.
The XTX is a great great card in its own right, but I had both that and a 4080 and decided to keep the 4080 purely on software terms as AMD are just not upto par at this current time.

I have zero confidence in AMD's ability to compete right now. Their last few generations have been woefully inadequate, barely competing with NVidia in basic rasterisation and lagging seriously behind in RT and other features.
Previous gen they came from soooooooooooooooooo far behind with a zero RT'ing 5700 Vs 2080Ti to almost parity in raster all the way until the 90Ti launched while never running out of Vram!.:cry:
It's actually AMD I blame for the current GPU pricing than NVidia. NVidia have a responsiibility to their shareholders to maximise profits and decent competition is the only thing that will bring prices down.
The market leader sets the price./

Last edited:
The XTX is a great great card in its own right, but I had both that and a 4080 and decided to keep the 4080 purely on software terms as AMD are just not upto par at this current time.
That's fair, but my point is more that there is choice and AMD are not that far behind/not behind in raw performance and cost. Not nearly as bad as some people seem to comment.

I have zero confidence in AMD's ability to compete right now. Their last few generations have been woefully inadequate, barely competing with NVidia in basic rasterisation and lagging seriously behind in RT and other features.

It's actually AMD I blame for the current GPU pricing than NVidia. NVidia have a responsiibility to their shareholders to maximise profits and decent competition is the only thing that will bring prices down.

Agree.

If amd were competing in all areas, nvidia wouldn't be able to set the price, which is why I never get why people don't point the blame at amd to do better. It's just simply how business works and if the situations were reversed then it's nvidia that people should blame in order to do better against amd.

Interface yes, I noticed that when I changed too. The software offerings like Reflex, DLDSR, DLSS and such are overall better than AMD's offerings though.

Never really get the driver ui argument tbh, yes amd is nicer/cleaner and faster but how often are people really using this? Perhaps with amd, you have to use the driver control panel more often? I can somewhat understand the not wanting to install MSI AB to tweak the gpu but again, it's a great piece of software where as when I had amd, the included overclocking/undervolting was tempermental, half the time, the settings would reset every reboot. Performance overlay etc. amd and nvidias are good but rivatuner with MSI AB is much better, more accurate, more options to tweak and more useful metrics to show. In some ways, I actually find nvidia better from a usability and choice of tweaking/options tbh especially combined with nvidia profile inspector app. I do think nvidia really need to combine all their apps together though in order to be more unified and modern but as the old saying goes, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"

Reflex, DLDSR, DLSS are things I use all the time when gaming (although as said, it's tied to hardware too)

which is why I never get why people don't point the blame at amd to do better
What's the point?

They presumably did the best they could with RDNA2 and 3, there's scaling issues with compute units, that might only be significantly improved with better transistor/process technology.

AMD doesn't produce it's own GPUs, they rely on companies like TSMC.

AMD doesn't compete at the super high end (RTX 4090), because it would require a lot of power, and they don't want their designs to rely on 850w power supplies like the RTX 4090.

What AMD offers is competitive in terms of performance per watt, which we see between the RX 7900 XTX and the RTX 4080 (although, they might need to drop the price of the XTX when the Super model is released).

Last edited:
What's the point?

They presumably did the best they could with RDNA2 and 3, there's scaling issues with compute units, that might only be significantly improved with better transistor/process technology.

AMD doesn't produce it's own GPUs, they rely on companies like TSMC.

RDNA 2 was great at the time of release (as RT and upscaling wasn't quite as important at the time of release) but amd messed up here for "pc gamers" as the consoles were the priority, they were supplying 80% of their hardware to go to consoles hence the lack of stock and also no MSRP in UK for rdna 2.

Software wise, R&D and improving partnerships is all entirely in amds hands though.

Never really get the driver ui argument tbh, yes amd is nicer/cleaner and faster but how often are people really using this? Perhaps with amd, you have to use the driver control panel more often? I can somewhat understand the not wanting to install MSI AB to tweak the gpu but again, it's a great piece of software where as when I had amd, the included overclocking/undervolting was tempermental, half the time, the settings would reset every reboot.
To be honest, with both Nvidia or AMD gpu's I basically touch the tools/driver UI once and then probably look at it once a month at max after that?? Completely agree with you, how often are people sat in GeForce Experience or Adrenalin?!

I only ever used GeForce experience for drivers - and then used MSI AB for setting an undervolt. Never liked the requirement to have an Nvidia account to use GeForce experience so eventually swapped back to doing drivers the 'old' way.

With AMD's adrenalin I use it for drivers and occasionally trialling different UV/OCs. Benefit of Adrenalin is no account is needed and the interface looks ever so slightly nicer.

I'd hope thatanyone with a brain isn't basing their GPU choice on the UI for GeForce Experience or Adrenalin.

That isn’t true? Their rasterisation performance is broadly very competitive.

Sorry, what I meant when I said "barely competing" is that all AMD seem to be able to do is match NVidia on rasterisation at a given price point which, when combined with their lacklustre RT and feature sets, puts them at a serious disadvantage.

Take the 4080 SUPER - with the incoming price cut, many on here are remarking that AMD will have no choice but to cut the price of the 7900XTX because, whilst it's competitive in rasterisation, who's going to buy it when they can get a 4080 which has far better RT and DLSS?

To be honest, with both Nvidia or AMD gpu's I basically touch the tools/driver UI once and then probably look at it once a month at max after that?? Completely agree with you, how often are people sat in GeForce Experience or Adrenalin?!

I only ever used GeForce experience for drivers - and then used MSI AB for setting an undervolt. Never liked the requirement to have an Nvidia account to use GeForce experience so eventually swapped back to doing drivers the 'old' way.

With AMD's adrenalin I use it for drivers and occasionally trialling different UV/OCs. Benefit of Adrenalin is no account is needed and the interface looks ever so slightly nicer.

I'd hope thatanyone with a brain isn't basing their GPU choice on the UI for GeForce Experience or Adrenalin.

Yeah not a huge fan of geforce experience, only thing I will ever use with it is the performance monitoring (if rivatuner/msi ab isn't working for whatever reason) and shadowplay/recording (which does work very well tbf).

It is? The basic rasterisation performance of the XTX and 4080 is pretty much identical but the 4080 is miles ahead on RT with better DLSS upscaling and frame generation.

Frankly I find it hard to believe your decision to keep the 4080 was based purely on the software.

Is there anything out now gameplay-wise that's actually worth that kind of investment in gfx cards? I'm not seeing anything really that wouldn't be just as good with gfx turned down - or anything that looks so good I'm desperate to play it tbh.

I wonder if the existence of the Super cards indicates a later launch of the RTX 5000 series?

Maybe Nvidia thinks 'Super' RTX 4000 series cards are more profitable / economical, at least until 2025?

4/5 nm GPUs are already quite costly to produce, at least according to Nvidia.

I was wondering that. If the 5xxx series is coming still in Autumn 2024, these super cards will have a fairly short shelf life.

It seems that realistically, a year is the most they will get. I do imagine this release will mean the 5xxx cards come around Jan 2025.

Last edited:
It seems that realistically, a year is the most they will get. I do imagine this release will mean the 5xxx cards come around Jan 2025.
Similar to the 20 super series by the sounds of it. They launched July/August 2019 and by September 2020 we had the 3000 series.

Last edited:
Similar to the 20 super series by the sounds of it. They launched July/August 2019 and by September 2020 we had the 3000 series.

Yeh.

I guess the release is ok. Not that exciting really. Pretty much equates to a slight price drop through the product line really.

Back
Top Bottom