• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

So the question is, as someone who recently upgraded to a 7800X3D, but who has a RX570, do I go for a 'Super', or wait another year?

Last edited:
It includes RT, both cards have DLSS so the gap would be similar to that of native, the only extra is frame gen although you can use the modded FG on the 3080.

Frame gen by modding I think is not always ideal. PT is better and also needs more vRAM, SER adds a bit of performance to it, has more vRAM and consumes less. So yeah, overall better. If is worth to upgrade or not depends per user.

What bonobos are gaming at 60hz? Can we run a poll and then ban them?

lol. the idea is that in less demanding games AMD falls behind, is not that efficient. It loses 20% in normal gaming in that graph. But it can be even more lol worthy than that with AMD using up to around 215w more in the below Overwatch testing and in general A LOT MORE.

I don't think many are gonna choose the RTX 4080 just to save a few watts (~50w) in gaming, compared to the RX 7900 XTX - The XTX is still around £100 cheaper and is likely to fall further due to price competition from the Super cards.

AMD was already hitting the power consumption limits of what they deemed reasonable with the RX 7900 XTX.

I was referring to the TDP of these cards, they have similar power supply requirements. Both cards use significantly less power than the RTX 3090 TI or the RTX 4090.
It's about 60w, but that means extra heat, noise, extra beefy PSU for less performance. Is not as efficient as nvidia in performance per watt, 7900xtx consumes about 20% more.

But anyway, look for the link above, it's hilarious how much power AMD needs in lower loads. So yeah, unless this has been properly fixed, performance per watt isn't something AMD is great at either.

Last edited:
The fabrication process AMD used for RDNA3 GPU dies isn't quite as good as the one used for the RTX 4000 series, I imagine that partly accounts for differences in power consumption.

Just like the Nvidia cards, they can be undervolted to reduce power consumption...

In defence of the Navi31 cards, they do have more VRAM than the RTX 4080, so I imagine that would increase the power usage a bit.

Last edited:
The fabrication process AMD used for RDNA3 GPU dies isn't quite as good as the one used for the RTX 4000 series, I imagine that partly accounts for differences in power consumption.

Just like the Nvidia cards, they can be undervolted to reduce power consumption...

In defence of the Navi31 cards, they do have more VRAM than the RTX 4080, so I imagine that would increase the power usage a bit.

Fab process doesn't excuse the power management. In that YouTube link you have it consume up to about 72% more than then 4080... Maybe it's the (sort of) MCM design, maybe other issues, but that's A LOT, especially during summer - not to mention the over all electricity consumed for nothing.

Last edited:
Frame gen by modding I think is not always ideal. PT is better and also needs more vRAM, SER adds a bit of performance to it, has more vRAM and consumes less. So yeah, overall better. If is worth to upgrade or not depends per user.
Only 2 proper games have PT though right now and even the newer cards can’t really run them at a decent level yet. Will be a couple more gens before PT gains enough traction and the hardware to run becomes good enough.

Fab process doesn't excuse the power management. In that YouTube link you have it consume up to about 72% more than then 4080... Maybe it's the (sort of) MCM design, maybe other issues, but that's A LOT, especially during summer - not to mention the over all electricity consumed for nothing.
Meh, use power limits or undervolt a bit, if it's a concern.

Maybe the voltage is ramping up too high at idle, I guess there's some room for optimization. My card runs at 39w-48w when idle with 2 monitors active.

With just 1 active, the power usage falls to 8w-15w, which is interesting (voltage varies between 50mv to 255mv).

Last edited:
That's just the placebo effect.

So long as your enjoying your 4060ti though that's all that matters.
Screenshot-724.png

Certainly enjoying it more than I did my 3080 Ti.

You agree that the 3080 Ti was named correctly right? Well I guess it is fun having a 4060 Ti that beats it and does so with 100w less power :D

At the end of the day it is what it is. All I know is £575 was a good deal at the time. Only cost me £95 to upgrade from my used 3080 Ti to a brand new 4070 Ti. That sir is a good deal no matter what you say ;)

On a separate note @JediFragger if you thought what I did was bad, your gonna love this.

He either remembers year old posts or did some serious digging :cry:

Looking at that it seems like I'll see a nice performance bump with the 4080 (if I can get hold of one of the 10 FE models available from Nvidia at launch :D).

In reality if people are going for the 4080S/90 now, how much of a performance boost will the 5XXX series see? And how much are they going to cost?
Assuming the die sizes remain the same and the next gen gets a bandwidth boost from GDDR7 we could see as much as a 50% performance boost although it’ll probably be closer to 40%.

Who knows on the price but the fact that Nvidia have either cut the price or boosted performance up a tier for the 70 and 80 class I think it shows that the original prices were to high so and that has impacted revenue so maybe Nvidia will come in more reasonably from the start next time around.

So the question is, as someone who recently upgraded to a 7800X3D, but who has a RX570, do I go for a 'Super', or wait another year?
I would wait as AMD are bound to drop there prices and also it may be worth waiting to see what Intel BattleMage is like before committing to a £400 plus purchase.

Back
Top Bottom