• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

will the 5080 have more though? 256 bus plus GDDR7....
5090 will have to be bought if it comes to the worst:p Buying a 16gb card for a "reasonable" 1k just isn't reasonable in 2024 imho. I already learnt the VRAM lesson the hard way, having had to replace 3080 with a 3090 as my 3080 rather quickly became a stuttering mess at 4K in DCS.

Is that not just using stats to create a false narrative? Ampere was released during a) A pandemic and B) a crypto boom. Hence the figures being skewed to the high side for Ampere compared to the current generation, not saying this gen would outsell the last but Ampere also had a perfect storm.
Obviously demand was higher but don't forget that last gen Nvidia locked in bom costs to AIBs based around the MSRPs for the GA102 being as low as $700 the GA104 which is larger than the AD103 for $500 and $400 and the GA106 which is just slightly smaller than the AD104 for $329 yet this gen the prices for cards using similar size dies has increased almost 250% so Nvidia will be making significantly more money per card sold.

Is that not just using stats to create a false narrative? Ampere was released during a) A pandemic and B) a crypto boom. Hence the figures being skewed to the high side for Ampere compared to the current generation, not saying this gen would outsell the last but Ampere also had a perfect storm.

I think it's a bit of both as the 2000 series was a serious flop and people wanting gaming gpus waited till 3000 series came out and was a much higher demand also from gamers as well as the silliness that happened around then too, as you said a perfect storm from all sides really.

Yep, mentioned this on the PS5 thread but a guy I work with spent almost a grand on a PS5 after spending 1300 quid on a 3080.

FOMO was absolutely real for him so he happily paid the scalpers rather than wait with the stock drop notifications.

Problem was that it wasn't just scalpers but retailers too. The stock drop notifications were purely for the FE which was the only properly priced option, just impossible to get hold of.

From Pricerunner:

I had a few friends who actually ended up getting the 3090 because, whilst at MSRP it made no sense compared to the 3080, with 3080 prices so inflated, you may as well spend a few hundred more and get the 3090. It was also slightly easier to find.

Last edited:
buying from scalpers just reminds of a spoilt child
giphy.gif

@Borsch
I'm wondering if the 50 series might be a bit like phone gens, skip for the next, on S22 Ultra but will skip S23 for S24 as need a performance improvement worth it. It's all well and good once card been faster, but for example 10fps average or even 20fps wouldn't be worth it unless without all the tools or as some call it "cheats" we have the game is tanking horrendously, so 40fps on a 4090 vs 60fps on a 5090

@Borsch
I'm wondering if the 50 series might be a bit like phone gens, skip for the next, on S22 Ultra but will skip S23 for S24 as need a performance improvement worth it. It's all well and good once card been faster, but for example 10fps average or even 20fps wouldn't be worth it unless without all the tools or as some call it "cheats" we have the game is tanking horrendously, so 40fps on a 4090 vs 60fps on a 5090
Generally with Nvidia cards generations starting with odd numbers gens have been the buy while evens are a skip, 10 series buy, 20 skip, 30 buy 40 skip, 50 buy?? Remains to be seen if this trend will continue.

Generally with Nvidia cards generations starting with odd numbers gens have been the buy while evens are a skip, 10 series buy, 20 skip, 30 buy 40 skip, 50 buy?? Remains to be seen if this trend will continue.

I feel like the trend was scuppered with the 40 and the 40 were a buy, things like frame generation from the games I've used it in are a life saver.

I feel like the trend was scuppered with the 40 and the 40 were a buy, things like frame generation from the games I've used it in are a life saver.

It's not about outright performance but performance at a give price point.

There's no denying the Ada Lovelace architecture is powerful and a big leap over Ampere, but the huge hike in pricing has rendered them largely the same on a price/performance metric.

Taking two examples, the 4090 was a huge leap over the 3090 at roughly the same price point, whilst the 4070 was barely faster than a 3080 but cost much the same as the 3080's original MSRP.

What are 3080 10GB owners doing then? Eyeing up the 4080S or 70ti super? I can sell my 3080 for about 350-380 so if any 70ti deals for £700, pretty tempted but feel like be better stumping up for the 4080s now

Last edited:
4070 was $100 cheaper vs 3080 msrp.

Not exactly a bargain for much the same performance after two years though.

What are 3080 10GB owners doing then? Eyeing up the 4080S or 70ti super? I can sell my 3080 for about 350-380 so if any 70ti deals for £700, pretty tempted but feel like be better stumping up for the 4080s now

I guess those two are the logical upgrade paths now. The original 3080 is still an awesome bit of kit with solid performance and is only really starting to struggle now with some of the latest titles at high resolutions and settings, after three years. The 10GB VRAM buffer also hasn't really been a major problem but looks like it's starting to be.

I went straight to a 4090 and my 3080 is now in a secondary ITX rig I use for LAN events and at friends' places. Seems almost criminal to relegate a 3080 to a machine I only use a few times a year but frankly I don't feel it's worth selling it for only £350 and I'll likely keep it for a good long while.

A friend is in a similar situation and looking to upgrade his 3070 Ti. None of the original 40-series options really offered much of an upgrade path in terms of price/performance but he's currently eyeing up the 4070 Ti SUPER which would offer a good bump but the pricing is still in question.

A friend is in a similar situation and looking to upgrade his 3070 Ti. None of the original 40-series options really offered much of an upgrade path in terms of price/performance but he's currently eyeing up the 4070 Ti SUPER which would offer a good bump but the pricing is still in question.

The are listed from ~£750, and OCUK have them at £778 I think, it does seem to be the best of a bad bunch TBH, if you could pick one up for £700 in voucher ccode deal or cashback promo it might be a great deal vs what we saw at the launch of the 40 series.

Back
Top Bottom