• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Guess it depends on your requirements. I’m planning on getting a 4K screen this year so would rather wait for the 5XXX series.
I've literally just moved to this monitor at Christmas so I'm unlikely to change mine for a number of years, my gut feeling is that for me waiting for the 5xxx wouldn't make a great deal of difference. As well as likely id have spent the money on something else by then :D.

4080 S still overpriced for me, needs to be another 100-200 cheaper especially when looking at what I paid for my 3080FE And any performance gains. However if they are selling the 4080s for 1,000 then I wonder if the 5080 will be slightly cheaper as it’s not a super. Possibly a way for Nvidia to reprice future 80 tier cards without looking like they completely got it wrong price wise previously, but I may just be waiting for pigs to fly
This outlook makes a hell of a lot of sense, a longer term thinking from Nvidia - given the negative press from the previous 4080 launch and its large gap in price to the cards below it.

I think the fact my 3080FE cost was the RRP is something I forget because a a lot of people didn't they were paying £150-250 more than the £650 for any sort of 3080.

This outlook makes a hell of a lot of sense, a longer term thinking from Nvidia - given the negative press from the previous 4080 launch and its large gap in price to the cards below it.

I think the fact my 3080FE cost was the RRP is something I forget because a a lot of people didn't they were paying £150-250 more than the £650 for any sort of 3080.

£150-250 more than RRP would still have been the bargain of the century. Many were paying circa £1500 for one.

£150-250 more than RRP would still have been the bargain of the century. Many were paying circa £1500 for one.
Yep, mentioned this on the PS5 thread but a guy I work with spent almost a grand on a PS5 after spending 1300 quid on a 3080.

FOMO was absolutely real for him so he happily paid the scalpers rather than wait with the stock drop notifications.

Yep, mentioned this on the PS5 thread but a guy I work with spent almost a grand on a PS5 after spending 1300 quid on a 3080.

FOMO was absolutely real for him so he happily paid the scalpers rather than wait with the stock drop notifications.
And it's those whoppers who paid the scalpers that showed GPU manufacturers that they can get away with what's happening now.

I bought my 3080 TUF OC (one of the most sought after cards) on the MM here (new) for £813.

At the time I felt like I was paying a bit of a premium to get hold of one, and the TUF I wanted, at least compared to the MSRP.
It quickly became obvious that was a total bargain!

The new design does look really nice when you see some non-PR images:

GDog_L4bwAA_x-K

Last edited:
And it's those whoppers who paid the scalpers that showed GPU manufacturers that they can get away with what's happening now.
They haven't really got away with it though, despite the MSRP prices being double or more per die size over last gen Nvidia's gaming revenues are less than half of what they were during ampere and they are now having to cut prices or offer people more for their money.

They haven't really got away with it though, despite the MSRP prices being double or more per die size over last gen Nvidia's gaming revenues are less than half of what they were during ampere and they are now having to cut prices or offer people more for their money.
They don't want to, which is clear. Considering GPU production is limited and that Enterprise market can absorb almost any amount of these for AI and the likes, it's better for NVIDIA to sell less gaming GPUs for more than more for less - as they can't produce more as is anyway (no capacity).

Last edited:

Is that not just using stats to create a false narrative? Ampere was released during a) A pandemic and B) a crypto boom. Hence the figures being skewed to the high side for Ampere compared to the current generation, not saying this gen would outsell the last but Ampere also had a perfect storm.

Back
Top Bottom