• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Yes, the budget models. I like many don't do budget, way too many corners cut.
Like what? I have the 4090 Trinity (non OC) and it runs at 2700MHz core+ even with 80% power limit imposed. They all run healthily at their max boost without sacrificing any noticeable fps losses. All also retain 5yrs warranty and quiet operation.

OCUK on videocardz. Apparently, high prices for super variants, shocked I am.

this is Asus launch theme music :D

+1

The coolers on some of these budget 4070's i have been looking at are pretty naff, something you would normally find on a budget card from 2014.
Don't forget these cards are only really equivalent to a 60ti class that have a TDP of 220w but probably won't even draw 200w during gaming, they don't need huge over engineered coolers.

Yes and all 4080/4090 cards have a unified cooling design with multiple vapour chambers etc, this won't have changed for the Super versions either regardless of AIB/FE. The fans are just there to keep the airflow consistent.

A few months back you could get a 4090 Strix for £1650 ... for basically £300 more than this and worst part is the 4080S Strix is basically £400 more than the FE version... Proving again Greed and Gouging. +50% gouging is now the msrp... seriously something very wrong now in the UK and any country that is allowing this crime now.
The 4080/7900 XTX are $799 cards at best probably. I priced up a water cooled build with those cards and the total price more or less equalled a 4090 build. The power gap is huge and made the former options pointless.

Do not get me wrong i love ASUS gear but the mark up on cards are crazy , last time i got a ASUS card was the GTX 980TI strix.....

Mm....

7800XT Sapphire Nitro +: £560

7800XT Asus Tuff: £600

Why??????????????????????????????????????????

They have junk coolers regardless of excuses, look at the reviews for some of them, hot and noisy.
Again what do you expect from GPUs which are effectively the same tier as a 1060 was back in the day. The cooler is not the issue and is in keeping with a card of that level. The real problem is the price.

Last edited:
The 4080 and 7900XTX have the same problem - most people with £1k to spend on a GPU can also afford a 4090 so they'll get that.

That said, with the 4080S coming in a bit cheaper and 4090 prices on the rise (and the FE hard to get hold of), maybe more will be inclined to "settle" for a 4080S?
The other thing is if you have 1k+ to spend on a GPU why would you not just buy at the start of the generation?

As much as I disliked the 4080 price surely it still would have been better to spend £1200 on one a year ago than £1000 on 4080 super today. A £200 premium for a year of use, next year you’ll likely be getting a £600 card matching the 4080 so you’ll be paying a £400 premium for a year of use or a £600 premium for 2 years of use on the 4080 non super.

Again what do you expect from GPUs which are effectively the same tier as a 1060 was back in the day. The cooler is not the issue and is in keeping with a card of that level. The real problem is the price.

Something that isn't hot and noisy? like this...

Its 2023 ^^^^ or was.... not 2014.

Last edited:
The other thing is if you have 1k+ to spend on a GPU why would you not just buy at the start of the generation?

As much as I disliked the 4080 price surely it still would have been better to spend £1200 on one a year ago than £1000 on 4080 super today. A £200 premium for a year of use, next year you’ll likely be getting a £600 card matching the 4080 so you’ll be paying a £400 premium for a year of use or a £600 premium for 2 years of use on the 4080 non super.
Very wise words from Joxeon............i would like a new card as only on a 3070 still and game at 1440p , still no idea wat one to get as we have no idea how close the RTX 5000 cards are .

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom