• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Soldato
If you have a 3080 then upgrading is not really worth it, performance and price wise, especially not when the RTX 5000 series is probably due November.

Unless your 3080 has failed I would hold on to it and hope the RTX 5000 series is better performance and value.

Tend to agree. I may have replaced my 3080 with a 4090 but, tbh that was the only really viable upgrade path as anything less wouldn't add enough of a bump.

The equations are different for everyone but, for me, the 85% bump for £1600 of the 4090 made far more sense than the 50%/£1200 of the 4080 and everything below that wasn't enough of a bump to be worth considering.

Even then, it's not worth selling my 3080 and it's now in my ITX "LAN" machine. Seems almost criminal to relegate a 3080 to a machine I only use a few times a year.

Do you have shares with Nvidia?

I'm not supporting NVidia or the situation, just stating the facts.

Last edited:
Associate
Tend to agree. I may have replaced my 3080 with a 4090 but, tbh that was the only really viable upgrade path as anything less wouldn't add enough of a bump.

The equations are different for everyone but, for me, the 85% bump for £1600 of the 4090 made far more sense than the 50%/£1200 of the 4080 and everything below that wasn't enough of a bump to be worth considering.

Even then, it's not worth selling my 3080 and it's now in my ITX "LAN" machine. Seems almost criminal to relegate a 3080 to a machine I only use a few times a year.

I'm not supporting NVidia or the situation, just stating the facts.
It's also facts the sales are down due to high prices so no, people are dealing with it.
Hopefully the sales continue to drop further and damage more damage is done

Soldato
So do you think what's happening now is fair enough?

Of course not, it sucks that we have to pay more for less. I'm just saying that, as long as NVidia has no effective competition and can sell everything they make, then of course they'll charge as much as they can get away with.

The only thing that will bring prices down again is effective competition from AMD and there's little sign of that at present.

Associate
Of course not, it sucks that we have to pay more for less. I'm just saying that, as long as NVidia has no effective competition and can sell everything they make, then of course they'll charge as much as they can get away with.

The only thing that will bring prices down again is effective competition from AMD and there's little sign of that at present.
That I totally agree with.

Associate
Whilst I fully understand all your comments about performance relative to your £650 3080, frankly I think you're living in a dream world.

In reality, the 3090 wasn't the "anomaly", the 3080 was, at least at MSRP. If anything it was under-priced in the first place by NVidia and then was almost impossible to get at that price anyway. I paid just over £800 for mine and that was considered a relative bargain at the time.

Every now and then we get a "golden" card, like the 1080Ti and the 3080 (at MSRP) but these are the exceptions and you can't then frame all future upgrades in terms of those as it's just not realistic.
Just as people held on to their 1080Ti cards for several generations, so will they with the 3080.

Jensen, himself, introduced 3080 as "Flagship" GPU so 3090 was obviously the anomaly one. This gen he called 4090 as "Flagship". Price gone from £650 to £1579 means x2.5 price increase flagship to flagship. Even between 3080-4080 x1.8 Nothing to defend Nvidia on pricing and cryptoscalp referencing is nonsense unless you have interests on company.

Caporegime
Buyers do not buy AMD, they have had better cards in the past and buyers still buy Nvidia. You lot are the problem, not AMD.

They've never had a "better" gpu. There was a time from say the 3850 to the 390 series where amd were the king for bang4buck but the gpus weren't necessarily better then even but people bought them as nvidia didn't really have many features to lock users in and they simply couldn't compete with amd on price, hence why I owned amd right from the 3850 all the way up to a vega 56 but now, well amd are considerably behind in various areas imo and as shown, they aren't exactly much better for pricing either now.

Soldato
They've never had a "better" gpu. There was a time from say the 3850 to the 390 series where amd were the king for bang4buck but the gpus weren't necessarily better then even but people bought them as nvidia didn't really have many features to lock users in and they simply couldn't compete with amd on price, hence why I owned amd right from the 3850 all the way up to a vega 56 but now, well amd are considerably behind in various areas imo and as shown, they aren't exactly much better for pricing either now.
The fact remains that NVIDIA are priced high because you lot keep buying. Actions have consequences and moving the goal posts or justifying your purchase does not change that outcome. You lot are the problem, end of.

Caporegime
Soldato
Buyers do not buy AMD, they have had better cards in the past and buyers still buy Nvidia. You lot are the problem, not AMD.

I agree with you that, all things being equal, people do tend to buy NVidia over AMD. It's the ancient adage "no one ever got fired for buying IBM" which has been modified countless times over the years.

Things, however are not equal, at least at the high end. AMD can't compete with NVidia's best and are sorely lacking in RT performance. Maybe not everyone cares about things like RT but, when you're spending the thick end of four figures on a GPU, I think most people do.

Caporegime
The fact remains that NVIDIA are priced high because you lot keep buying. Actions have consequences and moving the goal posts or justifying your purchase does not change that outcome. You lot are the problem, end of.

Apparently he's never heard of the 9700 or 9800 series in his 'never had a better gpu' spiel, though that was obviously long before his time. The 5 series amd had at the time of the 480 was also better than the nvidia equivalent, the 480 launched late, ran hot and was broken, was only like 10% or so faster after around a 6 or so month delay.

Associate
Agree, but it has to be admitted that technically Nvidia cards are the better product and until AMD can improve there Ray Tracing performance and FSR to at least close to Nvidia then people will still move to Nvidia as who does not want the best they can buy.

Buying the best is also part of the problem as we want the Best we can buy but for get to analyse what they need first.

If you play real time or turn based strategy on online multiplayer games for example then an AMD with its better rasterization performance are the better cards to opt for and better value.

While if prefer single player games like Alan Wake 2, and want the eye candy, then Nvidia is the best option, and you will have to pay the premium, for the RT and Path tracing.

I think given the current trend by Nvidia to increase pricing many people will need to start looking at there next Graphics Card purchase with a more open mind, rather than instantly zoom in on Team Green, and look at there gaming habits and choose the card that best fits.

Associate
Don't hold your breath on the doors being booted in and being deluged with sweaty gamers who've been camped out overnight, even though the store is online only. :D
Though 5 of the TUF cards have sold.

and 13 of the Zotac cards.

Last edited:
Soldato

This is the specious argument that's always trotted out in such scenarios though. "If everyone stopped buying, they'd have to drop prices" etc. Thing is though, everyone won't stop buying just because you do. Yes, collectively buyers might make a difference but hardware consumers aren't a union that can go on strike. Refusing to buy an NVidia product on principle when it's the only option that actually fits your requirements is just cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom