• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Nvidia announce partnership with <insert car maker/mobile phone company here> and nothing about 4000 series.

That would be funny. I’m happy to look foolish, gotta give the forums some laughs.

Edit - re-watching the video and just getting to the bit where he says 30 series cards aren’t necessarily going to drop in price, weeks before they were slashed in price :D

Last edited:
hope its decent. some of the new msi power supplies even though gold are **** . read reviews. hopefully you got one of the good ones.

Linus Tech Tips has a PSU Tier List and the guys that created it left and have a website now with an updated one. The A850GF unit is top tier according to them.

Though the AGF units are not single rail, they are multi-rail so no idea why they are in the single rail list.

Noted: [11] Ball bearing fan, possibly not silent even at very low RPMs.

Relatively new platform with no proven track record (but reviews are good and the OEM is very experienced)

Last edited:
Can’t imagine anyone with a 850W or higher PSU is going to struggle with the new cards, IMO of course.

4090 can draw 660W its rumours. that doesnt leave much from 850w for your cpu and anything else. Plus never good to be running at such a high percentage of the PSU max, I always aim for 60% or less normally.

Do you please have a source I can read for this statement that running a PSU at higher percentages is harmful?

Don't listen to that, it's anecdotal - it's like saying running a CPU at 90c is harmful. Like a CPU is designed to even run at 95c, a 850w PSU can run at 850w and even a bit higher than that and will do so for many years no problem.

Running a PSU at 60% is where it's most efficient - meaning that the percentage of power it takes from the wall and can convert to output for your PC components is at its highest and going above 60% load, that's efficiency drops but this doesn't hurt or damage the PSU, it can and will run at 100% load no problem

Last edited:
4090 can draw 660W its rumours. that doesnt leave much from 850w for your cpu and anything else. Plus never good to be running at such a high percentage of the PSU max, I always aim for 60% or less normally.

Fair point but I meant generally, and generally most people won’t be opting for a 4090 or above.

Don't listen to that, it's anecdotal - it's like saying running a CPU at 90c is harmful. Like a CPU is designed to even run at 95c, a 850w PSU can run at 850w and even a bit higher than that and will do so for many years no problem.

Running a PSU at 60% is where it's most efficient - meaning that the percentage of power it takes from the wall and can convert to output for your PC components is at its highest and going above 60% load, that's efficiency drops but this doesn't hurt or damage the PSU, it can and will run at 100% load no problem
Truth. Decent models are rated and tested at (simulated) 100% for years.

Pound hits 37-year low against dollar as UK recession fears mount​

Sterling briefly dips below $1.14 after retail sales data showed sharpest fall in more than a year

The price of the 40 series is going to be £LOL. It has been for ages $1 = £1 plus a bit more (compared to US retail prices) when the pound was higher than the dollar so who knows what it will be now.

The price of the 40 series is going to be £LOL. It has been for ages $1 = £1 plus a bit more (compared to US retail prices) when the pound was higher than the dollar so who knows what it will be now.
One-for-one plus 20% VAT is my guess.

Or more.

Hopefully Gibbo hasn't run out of cake. :D

Last edited:
Do you please have a source I can read for this statement that running a PSU at higher percentages is harmful?
I’m not convinced it’s damaging in the lifespan of the average psu unit but I’ve read that running at close to your PSUs limit is less efficient. So it’s less costly and consumes less power to run an 800w psu at 400w than a 500w psu at the same 400w.

I can imagine you probably do put more heat/strain on the parts running them closer to their wattage limits though. likely dependent on the quality of components used in the psu itself as well.

Last edited:
speaking of power requirements i wonder if the 4090 and even 4080 will require pcie 4 or even 5 due to power draw. im talking through the pcie slot itself.

So it’s less costly and consumes less power to run an 800w psu at 400w than a 500w psu at the same 400w.
Really?

For a decent 80 Plus Gold/Platinum/Titanium certified PSU, even at 100% load, the difference from 50% load is 4% max. For 80% load (400w from a 500w supply), the difference is non-existent. In fact, for the Corsair/Seasonic efficiency curves I've just looked at, the efficiency actually improves all the way up to and beyond the 80% load level (usually peaks around 90%), so a 500w unit actually ends up being more efficient than an 800w at 50% load.

Have people realised that psus are built differently with different efficiency's due to different components so one statement about running x at a certain percentage is too general and sweeping? lol Swear people just like to argue on here.

Really?

For a decent 80 Plus Gold/Platinum/Titanium certified PSU, even at 100% load, the difference from 50% load is 4% max. For 80% load (400w from a 500w supply), the difference is non-existent. In fact, for the Corsair/Seasonic efficiency curves I've just looked at, the efficiency actually improves all the way up to and beyond the 80% load level (usually peaks around 90%), so a 500w unit actually ends up being more efficient than an 800w at 50% load.

I think these ideas are a few years old and pre-date the newer supplies with the higher 80+ ratings that we have these days. They used to be right, and I think it's just one of those ideas that become almost superstitions and won't die, plus of course over-provisioning power never actually hurts any system so ...

Last edited:
They used to be right, and I think it's just one of those ideas that become almost superstitions and won't die..
Correct. The old myth about over-speccing your PSU for the sake of "efficiency" has been debunked so many times now. No point wasting money that can be put to much better use elsewhere in your system, as Steve at GN has long argued.

Back
Top Bottom