• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

I always try and justify my upgrades, currently I use 2 PCs for streaming and recording ( gaming PC with a 3090/10900k and streaming/recording PC with a 1080ti/7770k over clocked to 4.9) - but I am right in thinking based on the rumoured power draw on the 4090 that if I was to run a 4090 and a new Zen4 chip (or 13th Gen intel) it would be roughly the same power draw?

So a good new reliable 1200W PSU for a loaded system and an RTX4090 ... or more?

I bought a new Superflower 1000W PSU for my 3090/5950X 64GB system and its not faltered, lots of SSD's + 2 large cpacity back up mechanicals, dedicated power consuming soundcard ETC too, not a bling RGB user either, not interested in that gimmickry :)

I wonder how many new potential RTX 4090 users are factoring in a potentialy new and necessary PSU too ... or even better case cooling :)

All the Super Flower stuff I have looked at is single-rail, so the OCP trip point should be pretty high. (Enough to allow for total psu power plus some percentage)

And one thing potential purchasers of RTX 4090 cards must be aware of, though as I am sure you all are, when I ordered my 3090 was surprised at what a beast it would be, did take measurements and in theory it would have fitted in my then current case, but decided to upgrade my case to skyscraper proportions too, a good solid investment though for many future upgrades.

Also and of course, remember card droop for heavy cards like this on traditional PCIe slots, most good motherboards have steel reinforced PCIe slots, but its not strong enough IMHO, went for a custom stand system from bottom of case, supports the card and keeps her nice and horizontal.

Most here will know this, just a gentle reminder to those jumping in the deep end with new built RTX 4090 systems :)

Well if it doesn't fit in a O11d Evo then it isn't going to fit in most cases.

Anti sag and vertical mount is an interesting issue though, Vertically I'm interested as to how close to the glass this beast would get as it was an option i was considering. Horizontally the little anti sag numbin thing should at least help, before I start installing scaffolding inside my case.

Well if it doesn't fit in a O11d Evo then it isn't going to fit in most cases.

Anti sag and vertical mount is an interesting issue though, Vertically I'm interested as to how close to the glass this beast would get as it was an option i was considering. Horizontally the little anti sag numbin thing should at least help, before I start installing scaffolding inside my case.

Mine was mini scaffolding, LOL

So a good new reliable 1200W PSU for a loaded system and an RTX4090 ... or more?

I bought a new Superflower 1000W PSU for my 3090/5950X 64GB system and its not faltered, lots of SSD's + 2 large cpacity back up mechanicals, dedicated power consuming soundcard ETC too, not a bling RGB user either, not interested in that gimmickry :)

I wonder how many new potential RTX 4090 users are factoring in a potentialy new and necessary PSU too ... or even better case cooling :)
I bought a haf 500 evo case and will get a new psu for the 4090 :)

Nvidia and price to performance.....

giphy.gif

i was refering to the last gen where 3080 vs 3090 were it was double the price for a 15% performance boost but yeah i see the irony when i said price to perfomance generally when talking about nvidia but i was being more specific in that scenerio and i should have made that clearer

If the leaks are anything to go by, this time you at least get 50% more performance for double your money...............

Typically I would agree. But last gen they were better than AMD's price for performance, in the UK anyway. Lets see if they go back to their old ways.
6800XT vs 3080 was a about the same on raster.
6900XT was better value than Nvidia at its price point.
I also thought one of the AMD cards in the $300-$400 range did better than Nvidia as well?

*edit* in the US.

Last edited:
Honestly nobody knows right now. You will need to wait till reviews and some detailed power testing before you can get a proper answer.
im starting to wonder as loads of companies have been doing massive sales of psus at very low prices in last month or so. corsair for eg been flogging psus for less than half the normal retail price.

im starting to wonder as loads of companies have been doing massive sales of psus at very low prices in last month or so. corsair for eg been flogging psus for less than half the normal retail price.
Grabbed an MSI A850GF as it came with Assassin's Creed Valhalla and all DLC, and I wanted a greater than 650w PSU.

5800X and 3070, fan has never spun up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom