• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Still managing to run a 3060Ti here at 1080p. GPU's with 8GB VRAM are for 1080p and no higher so the price needs to be lower. I used to Dj in Second Life a LOT and in a club with 100 avatars that VRAM soon runs out, it just isnt enough anymore since Mesh Avatars came to SL. 12GB needs to be the minimum for 1080p now if an OpenGL virtual world is bringing an 8GB card to its knees. Kinda funny how i can max out GTA V with this 3060Ti at 1080p and i dont run out of VRAM. Maxing out DayZ never goes over 7GB either. Just glad i dont play AAA games :eek:

Anyways i think i'll wait and see what the 8800XT brings, not long to wait now, ~6 months?

Obviously if i see a decently priced 4070/S/Ti i might bite but i dont see that happening anytime soon :(

Roll on 2025 :p

Edit.. so what card would run best with my 5800X3D? Planning on skipping the 9000 series :D

Last edited:
The only things that stood out for me were Doom Eternal low performance and Forspoken low resolution textures.

So decided to check Doom Eternal. Using the exact same settings at HUB, I’m seeing no issues. Edit: I was using Ultra Nightmare, while HUB appears to be only using Nightmare. :eek:

The only unusual thing I did notice was that after testing initially and restarting to enable GFE, the title screen was showing lowered FPS. Restarted again and it was fixed. What’s even more interesting is that Doom Eternal warns you and doesn’t allow settings if you go over available VRAM.

Here’s a video of Doom Eternal I just made.

I’m assuming the Forspoken textures are likely due to texture streaming issues caused by something like the bandwidth limitations perhaps. Fortunately, there’s a downloadable demo on Steam.

Will test that next and see what I find. More to come, stay tuned. :p

Edit:
Tried out Forspoken. It says it requires 6 GB VRAM for base and another 6 GB for streaming, according to its settings page. However, it also only states a little over 6 GB in use in game settings and in MSI Afterburner.

I like the game, and it appears to be made with care. However, there do appear to be some problems with sound. I also think it might indeed have some issues with data streaming on lower VRAM cards, but I’m not entirely sure why based on the information provided.

That said, I think I would probably play this game for the story more than anything else. So, I’m reserving judgment, and have a video below.

Last edited:
The only things that stood out for me were Doom Eternal low performance and Forspoken low resolution textures.

So decided to check Doom Eternal. Using the exact same settings at HUB, I’m seeing no issues. Edit: I was using Ultra Nightmare, while HUB appears to be only using Nightmare. :eek:

The only unusual thing I did notice was that after testing initially and restarting to enable GFE, the title screen was showing lowered FPS. Restarted again and it was fixed. What’s even more interesting is that Doom Eternal warns you and doesn’t allow settings if you go over available VRAM.

Here’s a video of Doom Eternal I just made.

I’m assuming the Forspoken textures are likely due to texture streaming issues caused by something like the bandwidth limitations perhaps. Fortunately, there’s a downloadable demo on Steam.

Will test that next and see what I find. More to come, stay tuned. :p

Your Frame times are not great, you're also running DLSS which no doubt helps.

I'm uploading a video right now where you can see the difference.

You know what gets me about this, DOOM Eternal, and arguably Forspoken are RTX 30 series era Games, the RTX 3070 was a £500 card, it was expensive, it had a lot of GPU muscle, but it cannot run those games properly and 1440P DLSS Quality is 960P render, not even 1080P and it still can't do it properly, those frame times are awful and perhaps even the performance is suffering, the RX 7800 XT is a more powerful GPU but i'm running 1440P render vs 960P and Ray Tracing with a card that has weaker Ray Tracing, despite all of that i'm getting what? 40% higher FPS?

Its texture swapping over the PCIe Bus to System RAM, that explains the frame times and the degraded performance.

To have a card like that now for £350+ is ridiculous.

Last edited:
You know what gets me about this, DOOM Eternal, and arguably Forspoken are RTX 30 series era Games, the RTX 3070 was a £500 card, it was expensive, it had a lot of GPU muscle, but it cannot run those games properly and 1440P DLSS Quality is 960P render, not even 1080P and it still can't do it properly, those frame times are awful and perhaps even the performance is suffering, the RX 7800 XT is a more powerful GPU but i'm running 1440P render vs 960P and Ray Tracing with a card that has weaker Ray Tracing, despite all of that i'm getting what? 40% higher FPS?

Its texture swapping over the PCIe Bus to System RAM, that explains the frame times and the degraded performance.

To have a card like that now for £350+ is ridiculous.

Forspoken is a god awful game for optimisation, it got absolutely slammed by DF and others, on console, the res was dropping to 480p...... I know it got improved but still probably has a lot of underlying issues.

Yes nvidia should not be providing 8gb gpus for £500+ now but again, the blame also needs to be towards devs for making complete and utter POS like forspoken otherwise keep on enjoying having to pay through the nose in order to avoid issues and even then, throwing more grunt/vram at such titles does not always overcome issues.

@Proto

Something doesn't look right with your frame time reading/monitoring, the videos/gameplay looks smooth for me and that kind of frame latency/line is not what vram issues look like, it would be more flat with big spikes (when fps drops due to vram usage and swapping to system ram), looking at some of your other videos to confirm this i.e. games with no vram issues and you can even see the same line effect here:

EDIT:

What are your NVCP settings for things like vsync, low latency, reflex on, off, FPS cap (if so using what?) etc.?

Last edited:
Forspoken is a god awful game for optimisation, it got absolutely slammed by DF and others, on console, the res was dropping to 480p...... I know it got improved but still probably has a lot of underlying issues.

Yes nvidia should not be providing 8gb gpus for £500+ now but again, the blame also needs to be towards devs for making complete and utter POS like forspoken otherwise keep on enjoying having to pay through the nose in order to avoid issues and even then, throwing more grunt/vram at such titles does not always overcome issues.

@Proto

Something doesn't look right with your frame time reading/monitoring, the videos/gameplay looks smooth for me and that kind of frame latency/line is not what vram issues look like, it would be more flat with big spikes (when fps drops due to vram usage and swapping to system ram), looking at some of your other videos to confirm this i.e. games with no vram issues and you can even see the same line effect here:

EDIT:

What are your NVCP settings for things like vsync, low latency, reflex on, off, FPS cap (if so using what?) etc.?

I'm using a different frame time graph style in MSI Afterburner.

Graph-style.jpg

At default, the standard graph style, Graph, of course looks like this.
Standard.jpg

The one I use, called Diagram, looks like this.
Diagram.jpg

The reason is because I find it clearer to see and aesthetically more pleasing. Any differences are much more pronounced due to the heavier design.

You are also correct in your observation of the frame time from the videos. The frame time is in fact exceptionally good. This I believe is because of the platform I use, and just as much because of the resources the Nvidia driver is clearly devoting to frame stability.

It's quite amazing really, and it can at times be difficult seeing some of the clearly shaky images on more mainstream/ or too highly overclocked systems. I obviously don't look at the actual graph. :D

To answer your questions on settings in NVCP, these are mostly left entirely default. I have rarely found any reason to change these. :)

Last edited:
I'm using a different frame time graph style in MSI Afterburner.

Graph-style.jpg

At default, the standard graph style, Graph, of course looks like this.
Standard.jpg

The one I use, called Diagram, looks like this.
Diagram.jpg

The reason is because I find it clearer to see and aesthetically more pleasing. Any differences are much more pronounced due to the heavier design.

You are also correct in your observation of the frame time from the videos. The frame time is in fact exceptionally good. This I believe is because of the platform I use, and just as much because of the resources the Nvidia driver is clearly devoting to frame stability.

It's quite amazing really, and it can at times be difficult seeing some of the clearly shaky images on more mainstream/ or too highly overclocked systems. I obviously don't look at the actual graph. :D

To answer your questions on settings in NVCP, these are mostly left entirely default. I have rarely found any reason to change these. :)

Ah that makes more sense! Flat line style is much better imo as when looking at your videos, it does look like there is a frame time issue but it's just the way you have set it up it seems :)

Only reason suggested NVCP stuff is that is the sort of frame time behaviour I would see when FPS cap, vsync or something isn't correctly setup.

Ah that makes more sense! Flat line style is much better imo as when looking at your videos, it does look like there is a frame time issue but it's just the way you have set it up it seems :)

Only reason suggested NVCP stuff is that is the sort of frame time behaviour I would see when FPS cap, vsync or something isn't correctly setup.
You’re just seeing the difference between 100 FPS, 140 FPS and motion blur on a 60 FPS video. :)

@Proto

EDIT:

Forspoken was criticised for every imaginable reason by everyone who cared to comment on it, even the whiney identity politics TikTok mod hated how obnoxious the charter is. The studio, that's not the same as the publisher, to be clear, is now gone. It was a comitial disaster.

But this does not mean the game was in anyway badly made, you can't forever make games for 8GB cards like its literally 2014, yes 10 years, that's how long 'mid range cards' have had 8GB, Game developers themselves are saying it, having to make modern games with modern texture methods for 8GB cards is costing them time and money and it reduces the overall image quality of the game, they are sick to the back teeth of it and some of them just can't quite manage it without delaying the game to butcher it like Youtube butchers your videos.

Last edited:
Forspoken was criticised for every imaginable reason by everyone who cared to comment on it, even the whiney identity politics TikTok mod hated how obnoxious the charter is. The studio, that's not the same as the publisher, to be clear, is now gone. It was a comitial disaster.

But this does not mean the game was in anyway badly made, you can't forever make games for 8GB cards like its literally 2014, yes 10 years, that's how long 'mid range cards' have had 8GB, Game developers themselves are saying it, having to make modern games with modern texture methods for 8GB cards is costing them time and money and it reduces the overall image quality of the game, they are sick to the back teeth of it and some of them just can't quite manage it without delaying the game to butcher it like Youtube butchers your videos.

Did you even watch the videos?

The game from a technical pov is a complete mess too, DF/Alex provided a wealth of evidence and reasoning to showcase this.

You also missed the point that the game was a complete mess on console too, I mean dropping to 480p (so much for the 16gb unified memory helping here eh?), come on......

Last edited:
Did you even watch the videos?

The game from a technical pov is a complete mess too, DF/Alex provided a wealth of evidence and reasoning to showcase this.

You also missed the point that the game was a complete mess on console too, I mean dropping to 480p (so much for the 16gb unified memory helping here eh?), come on......

I don't watch much DF content and i don't really care.

I'll put it this way then, one game dismissed as inherently broken does not make 8GB cards good.

I don't watch much DF content and i don't really care.

I'll put it this way then, one game dismissed as inherently broken does not make 8GB cards good.

That's fine but to say forspoken was not badly made is just completely and utterly wrong and you and others then wonder why Devs can release games in a **** state which runs like crap for 95% of gamers....

Of course not but that's not the point here, no one disagrees with the general sentiment on GPUs with 8gb vram in 2024 but as echoed by most people, the problem is the price of said 8gb GPUs.

Reactions: TNA
That's fine but to say forspoken was not badly made is just completely and utterly wrong and you and others then wonder why Devs can release games in a **** state which runs like crap for 95% of gamers....

Of course not but that's not the point here, no one disagrees with the general sentiment on GPUs with 8gb vram in 2024 but as echoed by most people, the problem is the price of said 8gb GPUs.

We agree on something, nothing wrong with 8GB cards, its fine for them to exist, at the right price...

I think the:

7700 XT at £380
4070 at £470
7800 XT at 470
7900 XT at £660

Are fine, maybe the RX 7600 at £250 is not bad, but not a penny more and should be £230 IMO, ironically i think the 7900 GRE is now overpriced, its £100 more than the 7800 XT at 10% faster with the same VRam, come on man.... that's a £520 card, not £570.

Everything else, over priced.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom