• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Had a 256ddr myself, an open box off the long since defunct jungle.com, the actual card came in a cardboard envelope so I'm amazed it was in one piece when I got it. This "first gpu" thing (that NVidia like to tell anyone that will listen that they came up with the term) I've always found comical. I remember people calling the voodoo 1 a gpu, basically any half decent 3d accelerator back then got the gpu tag, I remember magazines like pc gamer and pc pro using the term long before NVidia claimed they came up with it and long before a gpu with the name Geforce even existed.

Last edited:
I bet they spend more money on handbags that serve no real upgrade over a 100 quid one.
High end handbags tend to hold their price or even appreciate in value after a decade or more if looked after, a 4090 in 10 years will probably only be worth 50 quid.

What the heck is this? I paid just over £1800 for my PNY 4090 shortly after launch. Just looking at OC UK now - £1949. Seriously, 5000 series is just around the corner.

Last edited:
You guys remember the thermal paste pump out issue plaguing many aib gpu's. well i was one of them saw temps over 2-3months slowly increase until 80c gpu and 100c hotspot was too much. So i change my paste to arctic mx-6 and had the same issue just now. i have now replaced with cheaper paste that came with my gamemax cooler. Lets see how this works. so far much cooler than any new paste i applied getting 60c max temps 5-6c cooler than the rest. if the same happens here then i would start to think it's a gpu issue maybe?

You guys remember the thermal paste pump out issue plaguing many aib gpu's. well i was one of them saw temps over 2-3months slowly increase until 80c gpu and 100c hotspot was too much. So i change my paste to arctic mx-6 and had the same issue just now. i have now replaced with cheaper paste that came with my gamemax cooler. Lets see how this works. so far much cooler than any new paste i applied getting 60c max temps 5-6c cooler than the rest. if the same happens here then i would start to think it's a gpu issue maybe?

Sometimes with GPUs you get better results with the thicker pastes like MX-2, etc. than stuff like AS5 and MX-6. Large surface areas tend to need a different approach to CPUs.

What the heck is this? I paid just over £1800 for my PNY 4090 shortly after launch. Just looking at OC UK now - £1949. Seriously, 5000 series is just around the corner.
Who is even buying 4080s/4090 at this point :confused: especially for over 2 year old MSRP.

Some suckers must be gobbling them up for prices to stay the same. Anyone remember those clearance deals we used to get when a new gen was on the horizon?

looks how much inflation there was in the last 2 years though

5090 will prob end up being around 2000-2500 and not much faster than a 4090

Last edited:
I had an Asus 6800XT and now an Asus 4080S. Both GPUs had terrible hot spot deltas after only a couple months of use.

PTM7950 fixed the issue on both GPU's.

Back
Top Bottom