• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Would a 4080/4090 cost a lot to run given the current energy prices?
I can't mind read, so you'll have to work it out yourself. Plug in:

a = hours running GPU at full load
b = efficiency of PSU
c = cost per KWh of your energy supplier

estimated gaming GPU cost would be:

4080 12GB = (0.285*a*c)/b
4080 16GB = (0.32*a*c)/b
4090 = (0.45*a*c)/b

So as an example, if you played 4 hours in a day, had a 88% efficient PSU and paid for electricity at the capped tariff from 1st october, the 4080 16GB portion of your billing (not including the rest of the computer) would cost (0.32*4*0.52)/0.88 = £0.76 a day.

Last edited:
The problem with water cooled (custom loops) is the maintenance, on average to took hours to clean my custom loop (5 hours minimum). i am quite glad i am back to normal cooling on the GPU because if there is a leak or flow issue it became a right bug bear to tear down the system and start again.

5 hours every 6 months or once a years is hardly a big deal though

I can't mind read, so you'll have to work it out yourself. Plug in:

a = hours running GPU at full load
b = efficiency of PSU
c = cost per KWh of your energy supplier

estimated gaming GPU cost would be:

4080 12GB = (0.285*a*c)/b
4080 16GB = (0.32*a*c)/b
4090 = (0.45*a*c)/b

So as an example, if you played 4 hours in a day, had a 88% efficient PSU and paid for electricity at the capped tariff from 1st october, the 4080 16GB portion of your billing (not including the rest of the computer) would cost (0.32*4*0.52)/0.88 = £0.76 a day.

That's interesting.

I honestly think I'll personally be better off. Currently always running 2 PCs due to recording/streaming etc and I think being able to go back to a 1 PC setup is going to save me energy overall... I hope lol.

Have you looked at home nuclear fission? Should solve all your issues.
I dream of heating my house with waste gpu heat, as a Vega 64 owner this seemed viable until I saw these new gpus!

I'm waiting in eager anticipation for everything coming, we've got 13k, ryzen 7k, 4k from nvidia and 7k from amd.

I suspect whatever happens I can add atx v3.0 psu to my shopping list along side brand new everything else, ahah

I dream of heating my house with waste gpu heat, as a Vega 64 owner this seemed viable until I saw these new gpus!

I'm waiting in eager anticipation for everything coming, we've got 13k, ryzen 7k, 4k from nvidia and 7k from amd.

I suspect whatever happens I can add atx v3.0 psu to my shopping list along side brand new everything else, ahah

PSU isn't even an issue for me, was set to upgrade anyway as mine is 8 years old.

The only way I'd buy a Nvidia GPU at those prices is when Jensen will hand deliver it and give me a hand shandy in his leather jacket.

We've reached peak madness.

Hi guys question. I am currently on Seasonic Prime platinum PX 1300 + gigabyte 3090 ti + 12900k + 1ssd+ 32gb ddr4.That psu will be enough with gigabyte gaming 4090 and 12900k?

Case Cooler Master Cosmos C700P

From what I have read, yes it will be powerful enough.

Will it supply the full 600w+ needed by an overclocked 4090? Maybe not. You will be fine to run a 4090 at stock speeds but you wont be getting the full perfromance from the 4090 without a PSU swap as well.

I'm 95% certain I'm going for an FE on release day as the way things are going even the lowest aib will cost significantly more than the FE after all these adjustments to the currency have come into play etc , £1680 is already a huge amount of money and add on another £200 for a waterblock and am pretty much at my limit of what I am prepared to spend on a GPU which I just use for a hobby, would love a Strix again but not paying over £2000+ for a card which I fully expect it to be as the £ isn't upto much recently... luckily the FE card doesn't seem to be effected by the fluctuations in currency.

I'm 95% certain I'm going for an FE on release day as the way things are going even the lowest aib will cost significantly more than the FE after all these adjustments to the currency have come into play etc , £1680 is already a huge amount of money and add on another £200 for a waterblock and am pretty much at my limit of what I am prepared to spend on a GPU which I just use for a hobby, would love a Strix again but not paying over £2000+ for a card which I fully expect it to be as the £ isn't upto much recently... luckily the FE card doesn't seem to be effected by the fluctuations in currency.

Same here. I just need to iron out whether you can get 600W into the FE without having to buy a new PSU.

If I have to buy a new PSU I well past the cost of an Asus 4090 strix so may as well get one of them again.

Back
Top Bottom