• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

800W and 2X 16 pin needed :)

I will wait for that to come out.

What a time to be alive, using one of those alongside Intel's new 13900k will mean transient spikes close to 1000w when just gaming :cry:

That Pulp Fiction reference is just so apt! :)

I'm looking back with interest through this thread and the predictions folks were making for 40x0 pricing. I think only one person got pretty close but most seasoned vets here were some way off and must have felt like Marsellus Wallace (Ving Rhames) when prices were actually announced. :D
Well no one could have predicted a rise of £600 on a 3080 and 500 on a 3070 for their ADA equivalents, I don't think we've ever seen a gen on gen % increase of the like ever since Gpus first came about and to top it all they even heavily cut down the performance and specs of 4080 16gb compared to the 4090 despite asking for a huge price increase while rebadging the 4070.

Same here. I just need to iron out whether you can get 600W into the FE without having to buy a new PSU.

If I have to buy a new PSU I well past the cost of an Asus 4090 strix so may as well get one of them again.

This is also what I am waiting to find out, hopeful that reviews cover it to make an informed decision before missing out on stock.

The hilarious part of RTX4000 is that the only card that is good value is the top of the line 4090, the other models are just terrible until they get price cuts

Thanks nvidia for increasing the 2nd hand value of my 3090
4090 is a good value when you compare it to the 3xxx series. Compared to the 2080ti series it has gained about 50% in price (just at 3090 did).

I'm wondering what cards we would have from this next gen at around $250-$300, if any. Probably will start at $499, to be just as consoles, practically killing PC gaming in its current form - forcing those with smaller income to move to online cloud services :(

Just seen the announced prices... lol. No thanks, there's zero chance I'm paying nearly a grand for a cut down 4080 which is basically a 4070. Now that ETH mining is dead it will be interesting to see if these cards shift much stock in this financial climate.

Just seen the announced prices... lol. No thanks, there's zero chance I'm paying nearly a grand for a cut down 4080 which is basically a 4070. Now that ETH mining is dead it will be interesting to see if these cards shift much stock in this financial climate.
Very much watching and seeing on this too.

It's not just a case of "earning more money" which some suggest... some of us on this forum are in the top % of earners. I can't see how the average joe will be able to justify this along with inflation, interest, energy costs and possible (currently in) recession that could affect job security.

There is a part of me that wants them lumped with the stock, unable to shift 3000 or 4000 series due to change in market conditions and have them burned a little. Very much interested to see what AMD do with the sentiment we're seeing around the 4000 pricing and things like the confusing 4080 sku. Unfortunately, I think they'll just join in and we'll see similarly but slightly lower prices...

PC gaming for me is heading away I think.

Epic ray traced fire effects of your house burning down. Life like :D

This release just keeps going from bad to worse. Ada Lovelace would be turning in her grave if she knew her name was being used in this corporate scam.

Same here. I just need to iron out whether you can get 600W into the FE without having to buy a new PSU.

If I have to buy a new PSU I well past the cost of an Asus 4090 strix so may as well get one of them again.
i reckon the FE will have a hard limit of 500w so i doubt we will see 600w go through it unless we get an unlocked bios ( unlikely ) or you want to shunt mod it ... what PSU have you got ? not enough power or not enough 8 pin sockets ? i recently changed my PSU to a Corsair Hxi 1200w and have a couple of spare 8 pins even though 3 are in use for the strix so should be ok with psu , hopefully a company like cablemod releases an all in one cable that has 8 pins at one end and the new pcie5 at the other so we can get away without an adapter .

If your psu can support 4 8 pins then the answer is yes. If it can pump all this power without ocp is another big question

Nvidia says falling GPU prices are ‘a story of the past’​

By Monica J. White September 21, 2022 10:05AM

Nvidia has just confirmed what many of us were already suspecting — GPUs are expensive, and Nvidia plans to keep it that way.

During a Q&A session with the media, Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang lifted the veil of suspense on RTX 40-Series pricing, and the insights are not what we’ve been hoping to hear.

Nvidia has only just announced the GeForce RTX 4090, RTX 4080 16GB, and RTX 4080 12GB, but not everyone was happy. It’s not the capabilities of these cards that were called into question, but their pricing. The RTX 4090 will arrive with a $1,599 price tag, followed by $1,199 for the RTX 4080 16GB and $899 for the RTX 4080 12GB. These prices are too steep, all things considered, but it now seems that this might be the new normal.

“The idea that the chip is going to go down in price is a story of the past.”

During the Q&A session, Jensen Huang was asked about GPU prices. His response was very telling.

“Moore’s Law is dead. […] A 12-inch wafer is a lot more expensive today. The idea that the chip is going to go down in price is a story of the past,” said Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang in a response to PC World’s Gordon Ung.

Related
Nvidia is betting on software for the RTX 4090, and that’s the right call

Moore’s Law is the idea that there’s a trend between PC performance and price, with roughly double the performance for half the price every two years. Huang cited the rising costs of components and slowing of additional power as driving forces behind high GPU prices.

Instead of Moore’s Law, Huang focused on price points and generational improvement. “The performance of Nvidia’s $899 GPU or $1,599 GPU a year ago, two years ago, at the same price point, our performance with Ada Lovelace is monumentally better. Off the charts better.”

The response seems to echo what many of us have already been suspecting. After the GPU shortage has subsided, Nvidia and its partners were left with an oversupply of graphics cards. Once terribly overpriced, these GPUs are now up for grabs at more reasonable prices, but they’re most likely not selling as quickly as the manufacturers might have hoped.

“The 3080 was, and still is, great value, and it will continue to live on,” an Nvidia spokesperson said in another briefing, noting that it was far from dead.

The introduction of the RTX 40-Series steals the thunder from RTX 30-Series, but Nvidia still wants to sell off these older (but still very good) cards. It makes sense to price the RTX 4090 and the two RTX 4080s so high because this might push more people to buy one of the RTX 30 GPUs instead. Be that as it may, it’s sad to hear a confirmation that the prices will continue following an upward trend.

Well at least he's honest that he plans to raise prices every generation now.

Game Over...

Back
Top Bottom