• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

This is a widely ignored point when people say not to buy the 4090. I’m a VR gamer with a higher end set and definitely need the power boost!
I do sim racing on a Reverb and could use more raw performance.

It's too bad Nvidia didn't care to show us the raw performance metrics. (None of my sims use DLSS 3.0)

This is a widely ignored point when people say not to buy the 4090. I’m a VR gamer with a higher end set and definitely need the power boost!
VR gamer here too! Good to see more of us around, I think we are growing in number :). Yes a 4090 will help me playing games in VR.

One of the reasons my Rift S is currently unplugged is that my old system cant handle games like Dirt rally 2, DCS and ACC in VR.
The other reason is i hate strapping that thing to my face in the summer and the games that run well are things like pistolwhip etc and drowning in your own sweat sucks.

1440p@144fps too - don't think there's any game out there with RTX that runs at 144fps at 1440p.

I guess if you want to buy a £1500+ card just to add ray tracing then fair enough. Apparently the red team say it's a waste of time and not worth it. Can always flip on DLSS in the games it's implemented well. A lot to just add RT though and you only really need 90fps+ for a great experience in single player games

I want a 4090 for VR purposes.

True, there are some high resolution and FOV VR headsets about (PIMAX) that require significant GPU horsepower. Mind you, a 4090 in a keen race/flight simmers setup would only be a small part of the cost I suppose.

In going back in time, what was happening is that smaller nodes would cost more $ in nominal terms, but the increase in density would far exceed the increase in price, effectively every new node was reducing the price per transistor - that's not happening anymore, the price per transistor on the latest nodes are now more expensive because the additional cost is exceeding the increases in density
A 4090 die costs around $200 to produce so not sure how we get from that to $1600.

A 4090 die costs around $200 to produce so not sure how we get from that to $1600.

After that you need a board that can support up to 600 watts, that's not going to be cheap, and a cooler that can handle that level of heat quietly.

While all of that is going to be very expensive compared with a 300 watt GPU its still nothing like a justification for $1600, IMO they are still making a health profit at half that.

i think its more close to 300.. i base that on 50-60% yields and a small premium on node customization, i believe TSMC has to spend efforts on PDK customization, interoperability issues, specific compliance etc. and that get priced into the final offer
so lets assume nvidia is targeting a 50% gross margin, the selling price becomes $600 to AIBs..
then you'd have inward logistics and AIB margins on that.. let' say it works out to 15% - so the price of the chip jumps to $706 when it hits the AIB outbound WH
now youd have to add distributor margins.. maybe 7% including inward logistics, $759 when it hits the distributor WH
same again for retailers.. around 5% including logistics, retailers work on thin margins, so $800 by the time it reaches end consumers
and this is just the chipset, so you'd have to further had vram chips, board, cooler etc... the coolers on FE are supposed to expensive, like $150-200 thats what i remember from Ampere leaks, so nvidia isagain going to double that to $300 in line with their margins..
maybe it would fall short of 1599 but its not going to be a big number

Embargo for unboxing seems to be lifted. Would be nice to see some of the AIB card sizes with real reviewers

Last edited:
Embargo for unboxing seems to be lifted. Would be nice to see some of the AIB card sizes with real reviewers
wow the FE literally look like breeze blocks with a fan
CDYBb95.jpg

Why did they make the power adapter so short that you you won't be able to hide all the connectors in your case

Last edited:
Got to laugh at all these people making a video of opening the box, wtf is going on!
Unboxing videos been happening for decades though.

Seems kinda pointless to watch unless you just wanna see how monolithic these cards are and how short the power adapter is

Twice as long probably would have cost them 1$ and let people do cable management

Last edited:

Wish folk would stop messing around and leak some ******* benchmarks already

Back
Top Bottom