• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Yeah Nintendo don't work like that. Their one attempt at competing with high end graphics was a complete disaster and it's shaped the company's viewpoint going forward that graphics don't matter. It's been 20 years and Nintendo still believes graphics don't matter, they focus on gimmicks instead
Gamecube was a great console, but they drove 3rd party developers away

Unboxing videos been happening for decades though.

Seems kinda pointless to watch unless you just wanna see how monolithic these cards are and how short the power adapter is

Twice as long probably would have cost them 1$ and let people do cable management
But that extra dollar could be the difference between people being able to afford them or not. I mean if your credit limit is $1700 and you're selling them for $1699.99 already...? This is the card of the people and they don't want to discriminate against people with lower credit limits.

Last edited:
But that extra dollar could be the difference between people being able to afford them or not. I mean if your credit limit is $1700 and you're selling them for $1699.99 already...? This is the card of the people and they don't want to discriminate against people with lower credit limits.
probably can buy a ps, xbox, switch and a 4k tv with change left over :S

Guys question i have a single rail 2000w superflower 8pack edition psu, do you think this powersupply will work with the 4090 cards, cause according to jay2 on youtube we might run into exploding issues with psu`s that are 2.0 spec and not 3.0 spec......

Guys question i have a single rail 2000w superflower 8pack edition psu, do you think this powersupply will work with the 4090 cards, cause according to jay2 on youtube we might run into exploding issues with psu`s that are 2.0 spec and not 3.0 spec......
I have Seasonic Px 1300W Ultra Prime Platinum and the same question like you :)

look like all the etailers will have plentiful stock on release?, no doubt some will sell b4 the 12th

ooopz googled it, 1st time and the strix will be 2300 quid on ocuk, 2100 for the tuf, google has ocuk prices, how is this?

damn, founders edition selling for 4k on auction lmao

Last edited:
I have Seasonic Px 1300W Ultra Prime Platinum and the same question like you :)
As mentioned in other places in the thread, the idea that you can blow up a power supply and/or a card with a 4090 is completely debunked. JayzTwoCents has a lot to answer for, considering this idea is still doing the rounds even after it's been shown to be absolutely untrue.

One potential problem I don't see being talked about is that most power supplies under 1200w do not come with four 8-pin PCIe cables, which may lead some people to use two cables (both 8-pin plugs on each cable) plugged into the 4x8-pin adapter on the card. Considering these cards can draw up to 600w and one PCIe out from the PSU is only rated up to 150w, this could cause problems, no?

Additional PCIe cables for specific power supplies are harder to find than you might imagine. So one thing I would do is ensure I have four separate PCIe cables before attempting to install the 4090.

If I got something wrong here, please let me know, guys. Just thinking out loud.

look like all the etailers will have plentiful stock on release?, no doubt some will sell b4 the 12th

ooopz googled it, 1st time and the strix will be 2300 quid on ocuk, 2100 for the tuf, google has ocuk prices, how is this?

damn, founders edition selling for 4k on auction lmao
As far as I understand it those are placeholder prices in Google (been there since the announcement, and they're not ON the page, but inserted into the page metadata so that Google will recognise the page as representing something that is for sale) and should be ignored. Considering NVIDIA is mandating that the bottom rung of each AIB range is sold at MSRP (£1679) I don't believe for one minute ASUS would sell a card that is +40% MSRP. It never has done in the past, with the premium AIB er... premium... usually being around +20% on the Strix. I would expect the Strix to be listed around £1,999-£2,049 come launch day.

But it's fairly safe to say that with the ROG Strix you're getting the poorest value regardless. You're paying brandname money at this point. I have my eye on an Aorus Master or a Trinity AIRO, but also have a soft spot for the Game Rock.

Last edited:
Such a weird way for wccftech to headline this story. 'Up to 29% faster' it says, but that's comparing to a 3090ti! Not a 3080. It's like they're just trying to rile up people who only read the headline. Wait. No that's exactly what they're trying to do.

As I said above, it's not 29%, it's a hell of a lot more. 29% is versus the 3090ti, not the 3080. The headline is designed to get the reaction you just had. It's literally fake news.
The 3080 was 60% faster than a 2080 for the same money so with the 4080 16gb I'd be disappointed with anything less than +120% since the price doubled.

The 3080 was 60% faster than a 2080 for the same money so with the 4080 16gb I'd be disappointed with anything less than +120% since the price doubled.
The price hasn't doubled. I do wish people would stop repeating that. It's +70% or so. You could argue that's as good as double, but 'doubled' just isn't accurate.

Not going to defend the pricing of the 4080s. It's ludicrous, with no excuse. The only reason they're priced that way is because of the millions of 30-series NVIDIA still has to sell. So people buying a 4080 are going to keep paying for NVIDIA's failure to predict the end of crypto-mining and it's totally unfair.

If the 4080 is what you want, I would strongly advise waiting till next year after the 30-series inventory has hopefully cleared. Bit of luck pricing will come way down along with it.

Last edited:
4090 Blender score comparison if it's useful to someone;

image.png

Back
Top Bottom