• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Here's a hot take, maybe we have been looking at this all wrong?

The 4090 is so powerful as it's turning out that nvidia knew this, hence the price, because it's so powerful they know that anyone buying one will almost certainly skip the next generation or two, so lower sales numbers. WHat else can they market for the 5090/5080? I mean here we have a card that can do 120fps at 4K in the latest games like Cyberpunk (using DLSS obviously) - For most people that is peak gaming right there and 8K monitors aren't a thing let alone screens with VRR at that res.

I can see how nvidia will have seen the 4090 as a long haul card hence the pricing. I can only see a 4090 owner getting a 50 series if the power usage has dropped dramatically whilst still being more powerful or just as powerful as the 4090 - Otherwise what's the point in upgrading from a 4090 for 2 maybe 3 more generations at least?
The reason why I am going to say this theory is unlikely to be true; is because if it was that powerful, they would have been flashing those numbers throughout the presentation, without relying on DLSS.

You don't use smoke and mirrors when you are a strong performer.

Same, I’m really wanting to step in to VR, hopefully get a few extra frames in games like Star Citizen and think the 4090 should be perfect for it…

I just need to decide do I go for an FE and mount it upright in my case or go for the ZOTAC and vertically mount it.

Why would you buy a 4090 ahead of getting the VR headset? If you want to get into VR, get the VR headset. Then if you find your 3090 really cant cope... get the 4090?
Just seems bizarre to me to be buying a GPU at £2k, for something you havent started doing yet? The VR headsets aren't cheap... why not spend this cash on those?

I'll not be getting one til near Christmas have to save lol.

I get the people who are so flush with cash, buying a 4090 isnt really an issue as the 'value for money' part isnt relevant.
But actually saving up to buy one? Seems crazy to me. Surely there are much better things to buy that improve your gaming experience for that money?
New Monitor / Speakers / Keyboard / Mouse / Desk / Chair or how about a boat load of games?

Once the 4090 is in, and you have run your benchmarks and got yourself on TROH, you still have the same games to play as before. While its always exciting getting a new bit of tech, at this price the maths are hard to make work imo if you are saving up for it. That £2k saved could bring you far more smiles in other ways Id argue...

Why would you buy a 4090 ahead of getting the VR headset? If you want to get into VR, get the VR headset. Then if you find your 3090 really cant cope... get the 4090?
Just seems bizarre to me to be buying a GPU at £2k, for something you havent started doing yet? The VR headsets aren't cheap... why not spend this cash on those?
Hi mate, good points and they are valid and I didn’t give the whole picture.

I was running a two pc setup for streaming and recording and want to reduce that down to one PC, the 4090 and 7950x will draw less power than both machines even more so if underclocked and undervolted. The new stuff (encoders) on the 4,000 series card looks decent and being able to get as high a frames as I possibly can while streaming on one PC is a pretty big deal.

To the things I originally mentioned, I will get some serious uplift with some games I play, or at least up some of the graphic settings, like Tarkov and Starcitizen. I’ve been dying to play Cyberpunk at 4K and pretty excited that I’ll be able to at good frames and also being able to do it in VR is huge. I tried VR once on my old rig (10900k and 3090) and it just wasn’t the performance I was hoping for, even on an old rift headset. I have the new pico4 ordered so I’m going to give that a bash when it comes out, and again it’s something I’ll prob create content for so again the more power I get the better really. Plus I always put back what I’ve made from streaming/content creation back in to my setup.

Last edited:
Here's a hot take, maybe we have been looking at this all wrong?

The 4090 is so powerful as it's turning out that nvidia knew this, hence the price, because it's so powerful they know that anyone buying one will almost certainly skip the next generation or two, so lower sales numbers. WHat else can they market for the 5090/5080? I mean here we have a card that can do 120fps at 4K in the latest games like Cyberpunk (using DLSS obviously) - For most people that is peak gaming right there and 8K monitors aren't a thing let alone screens with VRR at that res.

I can see how nvidia will have seen the 4090 as a long haul card hence the pricing. I can only see a 4090 owner getting a 50 series if the power usage has dropped dramatically whilst still being more powerful or just as powerful as the 4090 - Otherwise what's the point in upgrading from a 4090 for 2 maybe 3 more generations at least?

Those on 20 series cards getting a 4080 16GB or 4090 will be in it for the long term, those on the 3080 12GB or greater has no real reason to upgrade unless 4K is their desire it seems.

Your overthinking it. Nothing different about this launch to previous generations of GPU, overall. 3090/3090ti can't sustain 4k 120Mhz with RT on in all games, even with DLSS. Not even close in fact. Also, DLSS looks terrible in some games, and causes graphical bugs in others. Its' very good in some games though.

Also, VR is ever thirsty for more performance, as any drops in FPS cause issues - I'm really looking forward to the extra performance on my Valve Index for example.

I guess, DLSS is purely dependent on its implementation by the game devs, so that is much of a muchness on the quality and the amount of laziness by the dev teams of any given game.

VR though yeah I can see that, although I am not a VR gamer nor have any desire to be so this is not something that will ever likely to be a criteria for my needs I suppose.

Last edited:
"
Ada is incredibly energy efficient, over twice the performance at the same power as Ampere and you can really push Ada! We have overclocked Ada past 3 GHz in our labs.

NVIDIA CEO, Jensen Huang"

Sorry but I don't think most have a lab :)

True but they mention nVidia running Cyberpunk at 170FPS at stock settings, with the GPU boosting to 2.8Ghz (again, at stock). I'm still convinced they somehow had the fans running at 100%, reviews can't come soon enough!

3Ghz is pretty incredible though when you consider most were struggling to get 2Ghz last gen.

Last edited:
i can imagine all the vfx and 3d studios dumping their 3090 builds for the new 4090
we got to lay our eyes on the AIDA64 GPGPU Benchmark which shows that the card offers up to 53.6 TFLOPs of single-precision performance which is 8% higher than the officially reported figure of 49 TFLOPs. For comparison, the GeForce RTX 3090 Ti produces 40 TFLOPs so this is a 32.5% improvement in single-precision compute.
That's pretty impressive, so it's cheaper than a 3090 Ti (or the same price depending on where you buy) whilst being a marked step up. Finally some half decent 4080 16GB info.

"
Ada is incredibly energy efficient, over twice the performance at the same power as Ampere and you can really push Ada! We have overclocked Ada past 3 GHz in our labs.

NVIDIA CEO, Jensen Huang"

Sorry but I don't think most have a lab :)

They don't, but it's good news for those looking for world records and even those who are willing to water-cool their cards by the sounds of it. Should be plenty of headroom.

It's a shame that DLSS3 doesn't - apparently - work in VR yet. Nvidia specifically pointed out that it can benefit CPU-limited games such as MSFS when rendered on a monitor (fewer real frames to render, significanlty less for the CPU to do), so to lose out on that in VR is very unfortunate.

Last edited:
What's with that leaked 3Dmark Timespy score though of the 4080 16GB? I just logged in to check what my 3080 Ti scored and it is higher than ones shown above?

e1haVFd.png

i can imagine all the vfx and 3d studios dumping their 3090 builds for the new 4090
I doubt it, you need VRAM for that stuff and the lack of NVlink is an issue.

They are either already running dual 3090 so 48GB of VRAM and a ton of performance, so would be a step back in VRAM to get a 4090. Or they have a single 3090 in which case for the price of a 4090 they can get a 3090, PSU and an NVlink bridge.

I did see in one of the videos that the cable that goes in to the 4090 FE is pretty stiff for a bit, which means I’m not sure if I’ll be able to mount it upright as I think where it bends will be too long for my evo.

Back
Top Bottom