• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Me trying to power the 4090 with my MSI 850w PSU>

more like chairman of the national grid saying :D
AlPi4wG.jpg

Here's a hot take, maybe we have been looking at this all wrong?

The 4090 is so powerful as it's turning out that nvidia knew this, hence the price, because it's so powerful they know that anyone buying one will almost certainly skip the next generation or two, so lower sales numbers. WHat else can they market for the 5090/5080? I mean here we have a card that can do 120fps at 4K in the latest games like Cyberpunk (using DLSS obviously) - For most people that is peak gaming right there and 8K monitors aren't a thing let alone screens with VRR at that res.

I can see how nvidia will have seen the 4090 as a long haul card hence the pricing. I can only see a 4090 owner getting a 50 series if the power usage has dropped dramatically whilst still being more powerful or just as powerful as the 4090 - Otherwise what's the point in upgrading from a 4090 for 2 maybe 3 more generations at least?

Those on 20 series cards getting a 4080 16GB or 4090 will be in it for the long term, those on the 3080 12GB or greater has no real reason to upgrade unless 4K is their desire it seems.
My take is the 4090 got near a 2 generation improvement for 15% more than a 3090, the rest got a generation upgrade at best but for double the price.

No reason to buy either 4080 card over the 4090 unless you simply can't afford the extra few hundred quid in which case you probably shouldn't be buying any of them anyway.

My take is the 4090 got near a 2 generation improvement for 15% more than a 3090, the rest got a generation upgrade at best but for double the price.

No reason to buy either 4080 card over the 4090 unless you simply can't afford the extra few hundred quid in which case you probably shouldn't be buying any of them anyway.

No, the 4090 got a single gen improvement, instead of being an xx102 chip the 4080 got relegated to an xx103 chip and the 4070 got mislabelled entirely.

DLSS 3 isn't a 4x improvement in performance because it doesn't or barely improves latency/actual frame time over dlss2. It's smoke and mirrors to say that it displays 120fps where native is 30fps, because the latency is still around 60fps levels you got from dlss2 anyway.

The reason the 4080 offers no improvement over the 3080 is because it's massively smaller chip size, so cost is massively less, but the price is now double because it has a few GB more ram? Yeah no thanks, hard pass.

Like since when are we calling a 192-bit card an xx80. Last gen it was 320-bit 3080, 256-bit 3070, 192-bit 3060.
So the real 4060 they now want £950 for, lmao.

Buying any of these cards makes no sense.

Last edited:
As I've repeatedly said, the pricing is bad, but making stuff up to make it look worse than it is isn't achieving anything. £849 is bad enough without dressing it up.
I'm not making anything up, the cuda core percentage of the 4080 cards in relation to the 4090 would have made them 60ti / 70ti respectively in almost any other generation so saying the cost increase is only double is actually being quite generous.

This valid as long as you are well off and can justify it. I still think it's better if we punish Nvidia for this behaviour so they are forced to lower prices.

Great video, makes me feel bad putting waterblocks on my GPUs
Wouldn’t want anything other than the FE if I was sticking with air cooling, can’t see how any AIB could put that amount of design and resources into the cooling development.
You forget that chucking on a few RGB lights will make people spend an extra £300 over the FE model! :p

Last edited:
I wonder how many people are going to buy these space heaters ignoring the gigathicc PSU that is required to ensure it doesn't constantly get power failures.

The price of these really will sting - as many have said, it seems a real jump in price point from the previous generation, regardless of the mining / pandemic / economic situ.

But it does seem like it is a personal decision on whether the cards are worthwhile. Pretty sure that most will be waiting for the early reviews / performance figures before they commit, I know I will. Not going to drop £2k on a card that is only small percentage points better than a 3090ti.

Back
Top Bottom