• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

$700 to $1200 is 70% – that's one way to look at it. Also, what you're doing there is comparing the lowest-spec 3080 with the highest-spec 4080. The right comparison is 3080 10GB versus 4080 12GB (£649 versus £849 – 30% increase), and 3080 12GB versus 4080 16GB (£749 versus £1199 – 60% increase). There are lots of ways of slicing it, but the most dishonest way is to claim the 4080 is 'twice as expensive' as the 3080. It really isn't, so repeating that it is isn't helpful, it's just rhetoric designed to make people angry.

I'm not going to say the pricing of the 4080s isn't ridiculous. It absolutely is, and no one should buy one in an ideal world! But twice the price is a stretch too far, and unhelpful to the conversation.
Not sure where your getting the +30% and +60% numbers from unless you mean raytracing? In raster though the 4080 12gb will only end up around 15% faster than a 3080 at 4K while the 16gb will be around 40% faster.

The FE is the cheapest card and the 3080FE is £649 the 4080 16gb is £1269 which is a 95.6% increase for uk buyers. The 4080 12gb doesn't even have an FE card so even though pricing starts at £900 it's unlikely that any cards will be available for £900.

People should be angry, nvidia is trying to rip us off. They spent the past 2 years prioritising crypto miners over gamers and now the miners have ditched them with a load of stock they expect gamers to pick up the tab.

The 4080 12gb doesn't even have an FE card so even though pricing starts at £900 it's unlikely that any cards will be available for £900.

The price of the 4060ti has more than doubled over the 3060ti. In fact, it's near on trebled...

Why would you buy a 4090 ahead of getting the VR headset? If you want to get into VR, get the VR headset. Then if you find your 3090 really cant cope... get the 4090?
Just seems bizarre to me to be buying a GPU at £2k, for something you havent started doing yet? The VR headsets aren't cheap... why not spend this cash on those?

I get the people who are so flush with cash, buying a 4090 isnt really an issue as the 'value for money' part isnt relevant.
But actually saving up to buy one? Seems crazy to me. Surely there are much better things to buy that improve your gaming experience for that money?
New Monitor / Speakers / Keyboard / Mouse / Desk / Chair or how about a boat load of games?

Once the 4090 is in, and you have run your benchmarks and got yourself on TROH, you still have the same games to play as before. While its always exciting getting a new bit of tech, at this price the maths are hard to make work imo if you are saving up for it. That £2k saved could bring you far more smiles in other ways Id argue...
This is what i am contemplating. I have 2k for it put away, but is it truly worth that when i can get a 3080ti and use the money else where.

do you think that will be on 4k using DLSS 2.(older games) or 4k using DLSS 3.0, Also i supiose it will be better on 1440p

I cant remember the last time a new gen had this much of a gap, I mean when turing and ampere were just releasing there were the same assumptions on performance gains.

From the info leaked, that's been proven credible the 4090 should be 70% faster than a 3090ti without any DLSS at 4k.

Whether a game can use that increase remains to be seen in the reviews.

This is what i am contemplating. I have 2k for it put away, but is it truly worth that when i can get a 3080ti and use the money else where.

that's the question, do you absolutely need the extra bump in performance over a 3080TI. I had the same question and went with the 3080TI as I don't really need more power and I don't envisage needing that extra power for the next few years. 1600 + the expense in electricity made it completely not worth it to me. You need to ask yourself the same question and be honest about the answer :).

Not sure where your getting the +30% and +60% numbers from unless you mean raytracing? In raster though the 4080 12gb will only end up around 15% faster than a 3080 at 4K while the 16gb will be around 40% faster.

The FE is the cheapest card and the 3080FE is £649 the 4080 16gb is £1269 which is a 95.6% increase for uk buyers. The 4080 12gb doesn't even have an FE card so even though pricing starts at £900 it's unlikely that any cards will be available for £900.

People should be angry, nvidia is trying to rip us off. They spent the past 2 years prioritising crypto miners over gamers and now the miners have ditched them with a load of stock they expect gamers to pick up the tab.
What really intrigues me is how much the 192 bit memory bus will bottleneck the 4080 12GB, especially at 4K

Back
Top Bottom