• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Depends on PSU, but NVIDIA's official requirements list 850W PSU, so should be enough (if it's good one). My current 3080Ti and Ryzen 5800 x3D take from the socket (so that includes loses on heat etc.) 500W max in stress (OCCT PSU test). And 4090 FE would add only 100W to this (3080Ti is 350W by itself). Plenty of headroom to spare in my case, with 850W Corsair PSU. Unless OC comes into play, then it can quickly hit the PSU wall.
That's good, I guess. No OC in play and the PSU's a Corsair RM850x, which is ok-ish. I'm just a bit paranoid. Thanks for the response.

Only FE. I had 3060Ti FE in my hand, beautiful thing and feels quite premium in hand. Was very silent too. AIB often look just... not the way I would like them to look, plus the size of 4090 AIBs and pricing are ridiculous this time too. I also care 0 for RGB - I'll put it in, close the case and forget it exist till next upgrade time.
If I were going air-cooling I'd be tempted by an AIB one as I think they'd be more quiet with the bigger heatsinks and 3 rather than 2 fans so probably more quiet at the heatloads they have to deal with, but the premium of multiple hundreds of pounds is ridiculous - can empathise with EVGA if Nvidia undercut them by so much.

Overclocking seems pretty decent

A stock FE 4090 under gaming load runs around 2.7-2.8ghz and uses 450w. Upping the power limit to 500w allows the user to manually up the clocks to 3.0-3.1ghz

Last edited:
If I were going air-cooling I'd be tempted by an AIB one as I think they'd be more quiet with the bigger heatsinks and 3 rather than 2 fans so probably more quiet at the heatloads they have to deal with, but the premium of multiple hundreds of pounds is ridiculous - can empathise with EVGA if Nvidia undercut them by so much.
i was sad to see evga pull away from the gpu market but i also remembered that 9 times out of 10 they had atleast 1 of the most expensive cards in every gpu launch, so on looking at it that way it seems a few of the gpu makers greed from previous gens has caught up on them now to the point that nvidia now are doing the same but being extra greedy, gpu makers realise this and know that a larger chunk of the profits is now gone for them unless more people are willing to pay the extra mad prices which means more risk and less reward from a smaller pool of customers for the aib makers

You say that but I run into many issues on AMD card with the Alienware QD OLED monitor - flickering of image at times, black screena, shenanigans with alt-tab between full screen game and other apps and even few crashes of the g-sync module (full power cycle of the monitor was needed to reanimate it). It's very buggy. AMD card works fine on a freesync monitor, and g-sync monitor works with 0 issues on NVIDIA GPU. There's some incompatibility and I put the blame on NVIDIA for that one.

Thanks for the input.
I don't have massive amounts of time to game or mess about with settings so having something just work is invaluable.

Guess I'm back on the 4090 bandwagon :rolleyes:

oooo this reminds me.... i need to upgrade my VR my old skool Vive is gonna be wasted on a 4090

how does the index stack up against other headsets? was thinking index, vive pro mk2 or a pimax
the index's resolution is a bit low nowdays compared to the competition. if i were buying a vr headset today, i'd buy a either a quest 2, hp reverb G2, pico neo 4. all of these are far cheaper than an index. the pico neo 4 is the newest and the cheapest (not by much).

You say that but I run into many issues on AMD card with the Alienware QD OLED monitor - flickering of image at times, black screena, shenanigans with alt-tab between full screen game and other apps and even few crashes of the g-sync module (full power cycle of the monitor was needed to reanimate it). It's very buggy. AMD card works fine on a freesync monitor, and g-sync monitor works with 0 issues on NVIDIA GPU. There's some incompatibility and I put the blame on NVIDIA for that one.

That's interesting. For me the AW3423DW worked in much the same way on my AMD GPU and my Nvidia GPU in terms of the G-SYNC module and its functionality, but could potentially depend on the exact GPU and drivers used. I assume you've tried the usual things like clean-installing new graphics drivers and re-seating the graphics card? Have you also tested that specific monitor on an Nvidia GPU to determine the monitor itself isn't faulty? That monitor has VRR flickering, mainly during heavy frame rate fluctuations, but it occurs regardless of GPU vendor and is related to the refresh rate changes occuring. It will also blank the screen when alt-tabbing if it changes from HDR to SDR, changes resolution or maximum refresh rate. Sounds like you were having more extensive issues than that, though, as if it really isn't playing nicely with the GPU.

Last edited:
With so much stock apparently going to be available it must be hard for OC to price the 4090s. Seeing that over in the states MANY of the AIBs are going to be priced at MSRP, which over here is £1679, I'm pretty sure we're going to see some retailers doing the same.

I get the sense there's still something in the air of scalper-deterrent pricing in the minds of some retailers with their early placeholder pricing, with people talking up the ROG (an unbelievably ugly card this time round — the only device you should ever see red and blue together is a thermostat) at £2300. But honestly, though I think all of us who are buying a 4090 of some description day one are a little bit loopy (I fully own my loopiness), would any of us really pay OVER £2k for a card? I wouldn't, even though I can afford it.

I think retailers like OC will need to be careful to price these competitively, because with high stock levels and MSRP-adherence apparently the norm, I think we're all going to have the time to shop around a bit.

I want to buy from OC, because I have mostly done in the past and I rate and value their customer service etc (though I didn't get any Haribo with my 3090 last time guys *sad face*). But even the early placeholder £1999 for a Zotac AMP AIRO is looking over the odds for that card when you look at how it's being priced in the states relative to MSRP ($1800!).

Will be interesting to see what the pricing is like come launch day, but I doubt I'm going to be rabidly FOMO-clicking at 2pm on Wednesday. Gonna get the lay of the land first. Haven't even decided which AIB yet, only that I don't want the FE.

Last edited:
With so much stock apparently going to be available it must be hard for OC to price the 4090s. Seeing that over in the states MANY of the AIBs are going to be priced at MSRP, which over here is £1679, I'm pretty sure we're going to see some retailers doing the same.

I get the sense there's still something in the air of scalper-deterrent pricing in the minds of some retailers with their early placeholder pricing, with people talking up the ROG (an unbelievably ugly card this time round — the only device you should ever see red and blue together is a thermostat) at £2300. But honestly, though I think all of us who are buying a 4090 of some description day one are a little bit loopy (I fully own my loopiness), would any of us really pay OVER £2k for a card? I wouldn't, even though I can afford it.

I think retailers like OC will need to be careful to price these competitively, because with high stock levels and MSRP-adherence apparently the norm, I think we're all going to have the time to shop around a bit.

I want to buy from OC, because I have mostly done in the past and I rate and value their customer service etc (though I didn't get any Haribo with my 3090 last time guys *sad face*). But even the early placeholder £1999 for a Zotac AMP AIRO is looking over the odds for that card when you look at how it's being priced in the states relative to MSRP ($1800!).

Will be interesting to see what the pricing is like come launch day, but I doubt I'm going to be rabidly FOMO-clicking at 2pm on Wednesday. Gonna get the lay of the land first. Haven't even decided which AIB yet, only that I don't want the FE.
the thing abt stock is its just rumors at this point.. unfortunately though nvidia always launch during weekdays instead of weekends.. which i would have preferred more

a quick question, I’ve never really oced my cards before, I know a lot of it’s about silicon lottery but say an FE vs an pre overclocked card, would they oc to roughly the same as ones already been a bit overclocked or would you said normally you could still add the same amount? Does that even make sense? Lol

That's interesting. For me the AW3423DW worked in much the same way on my AMD GPU and my Nvidia GPU in terms of the G-SYNC module and its functionality, but could potentially depend on the exact GPU and drivers used. I assume you've tried the usual things like clean-installing new graphics drivers and re-seating the graphics card? Have you also tested that specific monitor on an Nvidia GPU to determine the monitor itself isn't faulty? That monitor has VRR flickering, mainly during heavy frame rate fluctuations, but it occurs regardless of GPU vendor and is related to the refresh rate changes occuring. It will also blank the screen when alt-tabbing if it changes from HDR to SDR, changes resolution or maximum refresh rate. Sounds like you were having more extensive issues than that, though, as if it really isn't playing nicely with the GPU.
Yep, tried everything, including fresh Windows install, various drivers versions, cable etc. Agreed that it might be related to specific GPU brand but there's been just too many issues. Worst one was the gsync module crashing and screen going black then monitor not reacting to any input (not even own buttons) till I did full power cycle of it. That happened only 3 times but still worrisome. That aside, flickering wasn't the typical refresh rate fast flicker but image vanishing for few frames, in irregular way (much more visible), small artefacts in videos showing at times, that I thought are gpu issues (but 0 such issues with lg feesync monitor). Heavy flicker on alt tab for few seconds (both HDR and same resolution etc.). Seriously thought GPU is dead but different monitor and all issues gone. This same monitor with Nvidia card and also zero problems - all the small issues vanished too. And there were also AMD drivers crashing when both it and monitor had some issues communicating - flicker, black screen, driver crash after few times of that. Again, no such issues with feesync monitor (everything else the same).

Anyway, I know such things can be limited to speciffic hardware combinations but they were stopping me working, and no amount of troubleshooting helped (i even changed ram and CPU), hence I had to do a quick switch to the green camp and had not even 1 issue since with this monitor. Though discovered bunch of bugs in Nvidia drivers and got very disappointed with DLSS. Nothing is perfect!

Last edited:
the thing abt stock is its just rumors at this point.. unfortunately though nvidia always launch during weekdays instead of weekends.. which i would have preferred more
It's not just rumours, though. Gibbo has said stock levels are very good, and I've had an email back from another big retailer confirming same. Stock is multiples higher than the 3090 launch, while demand is going to be much lower because the miners have left the building, also meaning there's nothing in it for scalpers.

As I say, it does potentially play well for us customers, because if a retailer tries 2020-style GPU shortage pricing, they're not going to sell any. They have to be competitive because a lot of different retailers will be selling them, with plenty of stock.

The fact the flagship AIB models in the USA are going for just $200 above MSRP in some cases says to me stock levels are so high, retailers are actually nervous.

Last edited:
a quick question, I’ve never really oced my cards before, I know a lot of it’s about silicon lottery but say an FE vs an pre overclocked card, would they oc to roughly the same as ones already been a bit overclocked or would you said normally you could still add the same amount? Does that even make sense? Lol
Overclocking is more about bragging rights in benchmarks, for daily gaming your better off running an undervolt for lower temps, noise and better efficiency.

It's not just rumours, though. Gibbo has said stock levels are very good, and I've had an email back from another big retailer confirming same. Stock is multiples higher than the 3090 launch, while demand is going to be much lower because the miners have left the building, also meaning there's nothing in it for scalpers.

As I say, it does potentially play well for us customers, because if a retailer tries 2020-style GPU shortage pricing, they're not going to sell any. They have to be competitive because a lot of different retailers will be selling them, with plenty of stock.

The fact the flagship AIB models in the USA are going for just $200 above MSRP in some cases says to me stock levels are so high, retailers are actually nervous.
Here's a quote from Gibbo before the rtx 3000 launch.

Hi there

The NVIDIA 3000 series including RTX 3090, 3080 and 3070 are now ONLINE at Overclockers UK for your viewing pleasure.
You cannot place pre-orders yet but you can on the following dates:
- 3090 September 24th 2pm
- 3080 September 17th 2pm
- 3070 October

We expect good volume on these cards

Here's a quote from Gibbo before the rtx 3000 launch.

Hi there

The NVIDIA 3000 series including RTX 3090, 3080 and 3070 are now ONLINE at Overclockers UK for your viewing pleasure.
You cannot place pre-orders yet but you can on the following dates:
- 3090 September 24th 2pm
- 3080 September 17th 2pm
- 3070 October

We expect good volume on these cards
That’s what worries me when Gibbo said there was good stock for the 4xxx launch as we heard that same fiction on the 3xxx launch!

Back
Top Bottom