• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Here's a quote from Gibbo before the rtx 3000 launch.

Hi there

The NVIDIA 3000 series including RTX 3090, 3080 and 3070 are now ONLINE at Overclockers UK for your viewing pleasure.
You cannot place pre-orders yet but you can on the following dates:
- 3090 September 24th 2pm
- 3080 September 17th 2pm
- 3070 October

We expect good volume on these cards

This is what causes so much misinformation online these days. People like you who seemingly do not understand tentative language.

There's a difference between "expect" (for the 3000 series) and "has already arrived" for the 4000 series. If you need further clarification, it's time to go back to school.

Last edited:
This is what causes so much misinformation online these days. People like you who seemingly do not understand tentative language.

There's a difference between "expect" (for the 3000 series) and "has already arrived" for the 4000 series. If you need further clarification, it's time to go back to school.
But oc had good volume with 3k series. What they didn't expect was the super rush on them. Do you expect same super rush on 4k series? I highly doubt it, so does G. apparently.

Has anyone had a FE card without coil whine? Feels like playing the lottery with anything but a MSI card, and even then I know there's a small chance of getting a dud.

Built a rig recently for a client with a 3090Ti FE and there was near zero coil whine, I benched it for 3 hours in various games and benchmarks and you have to be seriously pushing the card with insanely high FPS to get noticeable coil whine, Is that indicative of all 3090Ti FE's ? I don't know but I was fairly impressed by this one.

Iron Man:

That’s what worries me when Gibbo said there was good stock for the 4xxx launch as we heard that same fiction on the 3xxx launch!

To be fair with the 3000 series ten times more people were staying at home and getting into PC gaming, Along with mining being massive at the time, I don't think it will be the same this time as not only are more people working away from home, Mining is all but dead and cost of living has sharply gone up since so more people will prioritise paying rent, Utilities and buying food over a luxury item such as a GPU.

Last edited:
the index's resolution is a bit low nowdays compared to the competition. if i were buying a vr headset today, i'd buy a either a quest 2, hp reverb G2, pico neo 4. all of these are far cheaper than an index. the pico neo 4 is the newest and the cheapest (not by much).

you should check out the pico 4 vr also its coming out next week, already few reviews of it thats what i plan on getting to match the 4090 the pancake lenses on it look a great upgrade and 2160 per eye

Thanks guys looks like the common denominator is the pico

So I'll be deffo checking that out

But oc had good volume with 3k series. What they didn't expect was the super rush on them. Do you expect same super rush on 4k series? I highly doubt it, so does G. apparently.

Err, no. OCUK had hardly any 3080's on release, single numbers on some models. Orders were 15k on the first day or more I believe.

I expect several hundred to a thousand buyers to want a 4090 on release from OCUK, certainly nothing near the rush we saw for the 3000 series, but still enough to cause issues for most websites.

There'll also be significant traffic from those with no intention to buy, just wanting to get one in their carts, to scratch some weird itch.

Built a rig recently for a client with a 3090Ti FE and there was near zero coil whine, I benched it for 3 hours in various games and benchmarks and you have to be seriously pushing the card with insanely high FPS to get noticeable coil whine, Is that indicative of all 3090Ti FE's ? I don't know but I was fairly impressed by this one.

To be fair with the 3000 series ten times more people were staying at home and getting into PC gaming, Along with mining being massive at the time, I don't think it will be the same this time as not only are more people working away from home but cost of living has sharply gone up since so more people will prioritise paying rent, Utilities and buying food over a luxury item such as a GPU.

Completely depends on your hearing. I've had people say they can't hear any coilwhine - then to my years it's extremely loud and annoying at 100% load.

Completely depends on your hearing. I've had people say they can't hear any coilwhine - then to my years it's extremely loud and annoying at 100% load.

I have decent hearing and will not put up with a card that has coil whine above a certain level especially in this price bracket, I have sent a lot of cards back due to coil whine, If this had anything above a whisper I would've advised him to send it back.

not at the high end it seems...

I'm probably prejudging they have a few days to pull something together, all it says atm is they aren't after marketshare and are gonna slot right into Jensen's pricing structure.

Remember AMD and Nvidia were both taken to court for price fixing and collusion in the past.

That shouldn't be too surprising when you take into account the major share holders of both companies....

NVidia
52414808789_dcafd387cf_b.jpg

AMD
52415039053_bc6850da82_b.jpg

Notice the similarities or it might be more apt to say spot the difference! ;)

Those hoping for AMD to take the cost initiative and give us much lower priced GPU's than NVidia might end up being a bit disappointed. The shareholders will have more consideration than our sense of unjust pricing! :)

Last edited:
Those hoping for AMD to take the cost initiative and give us much lower priced GPU's than NVidia might end up being a bit disappointed. The shareholders will have more consideration than our sense of unjust pricing! :)

A friend of mine has said many times over the years "Corporations are not your friends, They are there to extract the maximum amount of currency from your bank account" I don't think a lot of people understand this especially with AMD, We all know Jensen is about as trustworthy/decent as a pit viper on crack, AMD is no different, They just aren't at the same level of being able to demand whatever they want. If both companies had their way they'd be selling 3050's/6500's for £1000 a pop and not even bat an eyelid while doing it.

Last edited:
Turns out the true donkdick is me!! :D

I don't think you're a donk for wanting more power for your 4K screen, Games are only going to get more demanding as time goes on especially for 4K and I genuinely think we'll never reach a point where 4K is "easy" to run the latest and greatest at max settings while getting good FPS unless there is a maHOOsive technological breakthrough.

Last edited:
I don't think you're a donk for wanting more power for your 4K screen, Games are only going to get more demanding as time goes on especially for 4K and I genuinely think we'll never reach a point where 4K is "easy" to run the latest and greatest at max settings while getting good FPS unless there is a maHOOsive technological breakthrough.

4k will become easy this generation because we're now limited by console hardware - so games target console graphics while pc hardware performance charges ahead - it happened in the last two generations as well.

When the ps3 launched in 2007, playing Crysis in 1080p was hard. By the time the ps4 launched in 2013, 1080p was very easy for gaming and 1440p was hard. Then the PS5 arrived in 2020 and 1440p has become very easy. By the time the PS6 arrives in +-2027 or even before it, 4k will have become easy

Last edited:
4k will become easy this generation because we're now limited by console hardware - so games target console graphics while pc hardware performance charges ahead - it happened in the last two generations as well.

When the ps3 launched in 2007, playing Crysis in 1080p was hard. By the time the ps4 launched in 2013, 1080p was very easy for gaming and 1440p was hard. Now the PS5 has arrived in 2021 and 1440p has become very easy. By the time the PS6 arrives in +-2027 or even before it, 4k will become easy

For the £1600 cards yes it will become a lot easier but for the 99.99% of people who are buying in the £500 category or lower I can't see it happening, But time will tell.

For the £1600 cards yes it will become a lot easier but for the 99.99% of people who are buying in the £500 category or lower I can't see it happening, But time will tell.

You didn't understand my post. In 2007, top 1080p gaming was hard even for a top of the line 8800GTX, by 2013, 1080p was easy even for a RX270 but 1440p required a top card. In 2022, 1440p is now easy even for cheapish cards like a RTX3060 or RX6600

Games will now target the latest consoles, game graphics will stall and GPUs on PCs will reach higher framerates and resolutions until the next console launches in 5/6 years - I'd bet a $1000 that 4k will be easy for mid range GPUs in 2027

Last edited:
I think were forgetting that a 2060/2070 Super already runs Death Stranding at 4k native at 60fps.

There's nothing wrong with wanting more power at 4k for your OLED but what you gonna run on it?

120hz OLED's TVs are a great concept but having tested back-to-back in the showroom I did not think it was a worthwhile for me.

Let's see what Gotham Knights brings to the table, maybe they have nerfed the engine so hard you'll need a 4090 :D

Last edited:
You didn't understand my post. In 2007, top 1080p gaming was hard even for a top of the line 8800GTX, by 2013, 1080p was easy even for a RX270 but 1440p required a top card. In 2022, 1440p is now easy even for cheapish cards like a RTX3050 or RX6600

I did understand it thank you. Games are only getting more and more complex with even more complex graphical FX being added on over time, What we had in the past doesn't matter as now we are heading into the likes of path tracing which computationally is exceptionally expensive and makes even RT in Cyberpunk look primitive. This is why I don't think going forward 4K will be "easy" to run on the latest games at max settings while getting decent FPS as the bar is being sharply raised.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom