• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

I had 4 3080/90s and here was my experience

TUF 3080 worst coilwhine I have ever heard

EVGA FTW3 3090 minor coil whine under heavy load

Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080 no coil whine

MSI Trio X 3080 no coil whine
My worst was by far the Strix X 2. I'll definitely avoid Asus cards.

MSI Suprim was the best (again x2). I'll keep an eye out for the Gigabyte cards as well.

Out of interest to the people who are interested in actually buying a 4090, considering the news that they wont sell out fast, are you still going to buy them day one, just a month before the competitions announcements? It seems a bit crazy to me to just drop £2k like that when the competition could offer the same or similar performance for potentially £100's cheaper. Don't get me wrong if they're only £100 cheaper i'd probably prefer a Nvidia card.
It just seems insane to me with the competition announcement only 3-4 weeks after these release.

That's a good question - I might be tempted to wait to hear about potential issues with certain 4090 cards (mainly if there is coil whine) if it looks like there's going to be plenty of stock, and to wait on the 7900xt performance, but I suspect the FE will sell out first given the price difference to AIBs, so may just cave next week, as I want to get a card to last some time at 4k, and suspect the 4090 will be significantly better than 7900xt:- From the Moore's Law is Dead Vid the other day the AMD source says they expect top RDNA cards to be at the level of the 4090, but that's presumably going to be the 7950xt (or whatever they end up calling the card above the 7900).

Then you Sir are worthy of the name donk :p

I have a 4k/144Hz 32" atm and I think the 4090 is overkill even for THAT!
im running 4k/160hz but only 27" might finally be able to max out my frames on newer games with max settings if im lucky

been chasing the 4k dream since i was trying to run a 4k 60hz acer predator when they first came out with 2 x 980's lol

Last edited:
I was all like "Can't justify it and definitely will not buy this overpriced corpo milking machine!", then my wife just today "I heard new super fast GPU is coming but cost close to £2k? I think you should buy it, you like toys like that and it's not a problem for us. :)" - women... Now my mind is struggling to stick to my convictions! xD

Happy wife, easy life! :cry:

That's quite a few without it. Thanks guys, think I might roll the dice on a FE. Failing that a MSI, or Gigabyte (bearing in the lower and mid entry MSI cards don't have a vapour chamber).

It just seems insane to me with the competition announcement only 3-4 weeks after these release.
It seems insane to me AMD letting people go to their competition unchallenged, you can't tell me AMD don't know right now where the Radeon 79X0 XT is going to land and if they are bringing this multi-GCD sku into the frame... they will have known this months ago

Back
Top Bottom