• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

It seems insane to me AMD letting people go to their competition unchallenged, you can't tell me AMD don't know right now where the Radeon 79X0 XT is going to land and if they are bringing this multi-GCD sku into the frame... they will have known this months ago

It's almost as if AMD enjoy dropping the ball.
After the Beyond Expensive event price unveil I'd have thought that an open goal for AMD to swoop in and steal marketshare.

It's almost as if AMD enjoy dropping the ball.
After the Beyond Expensive event price unveil I'd have thought that an open goal for AMD to swoop in and steal marketshare.
not at the high end it seems...

I'm probably prejudging they have a few days to pull something together, all it says atm is they aren't after marketshare and are gonna slot right into Jensen's pricing structure.

Remember AMD and Nvidia were both taken to court for price fixing and collusion in the past.

I was all like "Can't justify it and definitely will not buy this overpriced corpo milking machine!", then my wife just today "I heard new super fast GPU is coming but cost close to £2k? I think you should buy it, you like toys like that and it's not a problem for us. :)" - women... Now my mind is struggling to stick to my convictions! xD
Affair alarm bells should be ringing good sir :cry::D

oooo this reminds me.... i need to upgrade my VR my old skool Vive is gonna be wasted on a 4090

how does the index stack up against other headsets? was thinking index, vive pro mk2 or a pimax
you should check out the pico 4 vr also its coming out next week, already few reviews of it thats what i plan on getting to match the 4090 the pancake lenses on it look a great upgrade and 2160 per eye

An extra £350 (i.e. 20% more, not just 10%) for just RGB and brand seems strange, I'm sure **some** would pay that, as there are some that buy the £1000 Apple monitor stand, but for most games that value their money even when they buy high-end products, if FE comes at £1679 then there's very little value paying an extra £350 just for nothing.

Usually when people are prepared to pay that much extra, they're going for custom liquid cooling, which will still be cheaper than the £350 for a waterblock, pump/reservoir and rad.
Agreed! Though, judging from all the info we got in the past few years from AIBs (various anonymous leaks and then less anonymous with 3k series), NVIDIA is charging AIBs so much that they simply can't compete with FE anymore. All with the goal of pricing them out of the market and taking fully over selling their products, in time. After all, they seem to be willing to become "Apple" of GPUs.

4 individual cables?? As Logan Roy would say, Oh **** off!
Manufacturers will always use the safest route (to avoid being sued later), hence no wonder they try to account for all kinds of crappy PSUs out there. With good cables (made of proper copper with enough diameter), you should be able to run it all with just 2 plugs (like Corsair's one). But if one uses PSU and/or cables from AliExpress... well, fire is definitely on the table and 4 separate cables should minimise the risk.

Unfortunately for me I've got a G-Sync monitor so no choice really.
Could get a 30 series card but where's the fun in that :p
That's what I did - G-Sync Ultimate monitor, in theory working with 6800XT but trouble in practice. Got tired of all the shenanigans, so I got myself sensibly priced new 3080Ti but I can still return it, right as 4090 is being released, now that wife green-lit the latter. Logic says "NO! Don't need it, waste of monies!" but... logic rarely wins against new-toy excitement with wife encouraging. She definitely wants something :P

You have the Dell Alienware AW3821DW, do you not? As with other relatively recent G-SYNC monitors, you can access the full functionality of the G-SYNC module via Adaptive-Sync (DP) on an AMD GPU. So you're not restricted to Nvidia GPUs because of your monitor. :)
You say that but I run into many issues on AMD card with the Alienware QD OLED monitor - flickering of image at times, black screena, shenanigans with alt-tab between full screen game and other apps and even few crashes of the g-sync module (full power cycle of the monitor was needed to reanimate it). It's very buggy. AMD card works fine on a freesync monitor, and g-sync monitor works with 0 issues on NVIDIA GPU. There's some incompatibility and I put the blame on NVIDIA for that one.

I am weak, bad and wrong and am considering a 4090. Thing is, though, I've got an 11900k CPU and only an 850W PSU. If I can snag a Founder's Edition, is that likely to work? Or is a PSU upgrade going to be required?

I feel bad! Was a badly judged joke and on reading back seems really mean; my apologies. So then... you thinking FE or AIB?
Only FE. I had 3060Ti FE in my hand, beautiful thing and feels quite premium in hand. Was very silent too. AIB often look just... not the way I would like them to look, plus the size of 4090 AIBs and pricing are ridiculous this time too. I also care 0 for RGB - I'll put it in, close the case and forget it exist till next upgrade time.

I am weak, bad and wrong and am considering a 4090. Thing is, though, I've got an 11900k CPU and only an 850W PSU. If I can snag a Founder's Edition, is that likely to work? Or is a PSU upgrade going to be required?
Depends on PSU, but NVIDIA's official requirements list 850W PSU, so should be enough (if it's good one). My current 3080Ti and Ryzen 5800 x3D take from the socket (so that includes loses on heat etc.) 500W max in stress (OCCT PSU test). And 4090 FE would add only 100W to this (3080Ti is 350W by itself). Plenty of headroom to spare in my case, with 850W Corsair PSU. Unless OC comes into play, then it can quickly hit the PSU wall.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom