• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

There are people that will do that, if they can have it now, there will be enough on launch day probably not expecting mass market after that.
Lol they're not going to be manufacturing very many of them.
So people keep saying, but if no one here is going to, my point is the idea that there are more than a handful people who will is conjecture. And I think it's wrong. I think they will sit unsold at that price. If several people here on this forum said 'I'm getting one at £2,300' I'd believe it, but no one is.

Last edited:
Considering the folk in this thread are the most well-moneyed and 'enthusiast'-end PC gamers out there, we should do a straw poll. Who here is going to pay £2,300 for a ROG when they could pay up to £500 less for a different AIB card or £620 less for an FE?

Because if no one here is going to do that, it's illogical to suppose there are others out there who will. When it comes to the people most likely to grit our teeth and pay that, we are it. So, who's gonna do it?

Not sure why you're so surprised that there are people happy to buy a GPU for £2000, £2500 or even £3000? Do you feel the need to constantly question it, or make polls regarding it, for other luxury items, such as clothing, cars, food, restaurants, hotels?

Were you away from the PC hobby when forum members bought the $3000 TitanV?

If it doesn't float your boat, move on and buy/do something you want.

My Corsair 12VHPWR cable arrived this morning and seems a lot more flexible it than the adaptor in the unboxing videos :)
I missed them being in stock, so i'm worried that if i get my card I maybe running it with the side of the case off for a while.

An O11 Evo seemed like a plenty roomy enough case when i bought it.

So people keep saying, but if no one here is going to, my point is the idea that there are more than a handful people who will is conjecture. And I think it's wrong. I think they will sit unsold at that price.
I hope so maybe they've looked at 30 series demand and are assuming the same, can't help thinking things are different now.
They've probably calculated how many cards scalpers sold at at what price and thought hey we could do that.

I mean it could be a simple calculation, number sold times average price, then assume that amount is available for next gen and sell direct. It could make sense or it could just put people of completely. They need to generate serious hype.
I just don't think the money will be available.

Not sure why you're so surprised that there are people happy to buy a GPU for £2000, £2500 or even £3000? Do you feel the need to constantly question it, or make polls regarding it, for other luxury items, such as clothing, cars, food, restaurants, hotels?

Were you away from the PC hobby when forum members bought the $3000 TitanV?

If it doesn't float your boat, move on and buy/do something you want.
Lol the reality is the numbers, not the discussions and willy waving. It's not many people.

Wow these high prices have become normalised over the last couple of years, haven't they?
I bought my GTX 1080 in 2018 for £450 - I thought that was expensive!
Would love to hang on and buy a 4080 or 4070 when the prices come down, but if 30 series prices tank I'd probably bite there instead.

Considering the folk in this thread are the most well-moneyed and 'enthusiast'-end PC gamers out there, we should do a straw poll. Who here is going to pay £2,300 for a ROG when they could pay up to £500 less for a different AIB card or £620 less for an FE?

Because if no one here is going to do that, it's illogical to suppose there are others out there who will. When it comes to the people most likely to grit our teeth and pay that, we are it. So, who's gonna do it?

**** that! I've never paid £620 for a GPU let alone pay £620 extra for something that is essentially the same!

The 4090's will sell, we know about 15% of the poll will buy it and OCUK will consider it sold very well. Assuming 114 people bought the 4090, lets average it £1800 thats about £205000 I would imagine there will be a lot more buying it that are not on the forum. Starts to look a lot of money changing hands.

Lol the reality is the numbers, not the discussions and willy waving. It's not many people.

Reality is many buy expensive things. Gibbo (who has the most knowledge and experience to make such an opinion) estimates OCUK will sell 1000+ 4090's on day one. OCUK are just one retailer, out of hundreds/thousands worldwide. You're very naive if you doubt there'll be sold in the thousands on day one.

Chiplets are not efficient, they're just supposed to be cheaper to produce and provide a path for scalability that's independent of process technology..
Signals outside a chip are expensive by an order of magnitude than those dealt within a single chip.
On the efficiency front you have got technologies like dlss.. which is 4-5x as efficient as rasterization.
On the other hand if going chiplet lets you afford to use a very expensive node without having to push it the max*, then perf/watt could go up massively. Even dialling back clocks by 5% could see huge perf/watt increases.

I would never consider image upscaling to be about perf/watt though.

* My suspicion is Nvidia are partially pushing so hard because 4nm is so expensive; not so much AD102 but certainly the smaller chips seem to be running narrow but very fast rather than slower but wider which is where GPUs usually get their efficiency from. AMD seem to have gone a similar way with Navi 33 looking like a very narrow (small) design running at crazy clocks)

Reality is many buy expensive things. Gibbo (who has the most knowledge and experience to make such an opinion) estimates OCUK will sell 1000+ 4090's on day one. OCUK are just one retailer, out of hundreds/thousands worldwide. You're very naive if you doubt there'll be sold in the thousands on day one.
I'm sure they will, but the party won't last long.

If it does who cares, but it won't apart from artificial shortages.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom