• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

The 3090ti is on average 32% faster than the 3080 at rasterisation: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-RTX-3090-Ti-vs-Nvidia-RTX-3080/

If the 4080 is another 20% on top of that, as you yourself state, that's 59% total gain over the 3080 (including compounding because you're doing it in a weird way). So you agree with me. You just want to frame those numbers in a more negative-looking way because you're rightly upset by the pricing. As I said, we don't need to exaggerate. It's unhelpful.

Your quoting benchmarks though in actual games a 3090ti is 25% faster than a 3080.

I bought my GTX 1080 in 2018 for £450 - I thought that was expensive!
Thing is from that 1080 era to say a 3080, the perofrmance jump is monumental so the extra cost going from a 1080 to 3080 is justified as you are getting your moneys worth in framerates with all the extra features enabled too.

Can the same be said now going from say a 2080 Ti or 3080 series to a 4080 series? Maybe not.

Although a 2080 Ti launch price vs 4080 16GB launch price isn't too far apart... and you are getting a sizeable jump in fps, although you are getting that anyway from a 2080 Ti to a 3080 series for a smaller impact on £££ - So there is that.

Where did you get gaming from? There are many uses for GPU's, such as professional work, rendering, for which 4090's are absolute monsters.

Do you think Kaap was the only person to buy a $3000 TitanV, regardless of the use case?
The reason i specified gaming is because I know that GPUs are used for other things and in general people are less "outraged" at people buying expensive GPUs for work.

The way I interpreted your post is that a number of people had bought TitanV for hobbyist purposes i.e. gaming. Hence I asked the question.

Considering the folk in this thread are the most well-moneyed and 'enthusiast'-end PC gamers out there, we should do a straw poll. Who here is going to pay £2,300 for a ROG when they could pay up to £500 less for a different AIB card or £620 less for an FE?

Because if no one here is going to do that, it's illogical to suppose there are others out there who will. When it comes to the people most likely to grit our teeth and pay that, we are it. So, who's gonna do it?

Plenty of people paid the Asus tax to buy the 3090 over the FE. From memory that was a £500 gap which then soon became a £1000 gap!!!!

Yeah, good luck with that. Best set aside a nice permenant spot in your warehouse for those to gather dust.

Well, you'd think wouldn't you...but we're talking about PC gamers here and their insatiable need for E-Peen arousal therefore all common sense tends to go out the window when it comes to GPUs and pricing.

Plenty of people paid the Asus tax to buy the 3090 over the FE. From memory that was a £500 gap which then soon became a £1000 gap!!!!

Those Asus 3090 owners must count themselves, lucky - since the 3090FE cooler was so bad (it didn't cool the VRAM on the backplate, leading to 110C at 4k full load on memory junction temp).

It wasn't. I bought one. It was £1750 compared to £1400 for the FE. SO +£350, and even that was totally not worth it. Same leap this time would make the ROG about £2,000. £2,300 is taking the **** and they won't sell IMO.

If retailers sell out of the ROG, please come back to me and tell me I was wrong. Happy to own it if I am. But I don't think they'll sell. Not one person here has put their hand up and said 'Yeah, I will pay that for the ROG 4090', so supposing these people exist in numbers is daft IMO.

Those Asus 3090 owners must count themselves, lucky - since the 3090FE cooler was so bad (it didn't cool the VRAM on the backplate, leading to 110C at 4k full load on memory junction temp).

thought enthusiast like you would have replaced the thermal pads, I did on the 3080FE dropped from high 90s now highest is mid 80s :) I did 3 of them can guess what was used for

Last edited:
It wasn't. I bought one. It was £1750 compared to £1400 for the FE. SO +£350, and even that was totally not worth it. Same leap this time would make the ROG about £2,000. £2,300 is taking the **** and they won't sell IMO.

If retailers sell out of the ROG, please come back to me and tell me I was wrong. Happy to own it if I am. But I don't think they'll sell. Not one person here has put their hand up and said 'Yeah, I will pay that for the ROG 4090', so supposing these people exist in numbers is daft IMO.

I was lucky enough to buy an Asus strix 3090 OC at MSRP so £1575 :D Point is only the very first ones were £1750 in the Uk and they soon went up to closer £2000.

They will sell. There are always people willing to pay the Asus Tax. You only have to look on the Asus forums and sopcial media accounts to see people who have Asus everything and wont have anything else in their cases.

If OCUK only get 10x 4090 strix, won't take long for them to show as "sold out".

thought enthusiast like you would have replaced the thermal pads, I did on the 3080FE dropped from high 90s now highest is mid 80s :) I did 3 of them can guess what was used for

To be fair the Asus thermals pads were just as shocking and I made massive gains in swapping them out the day after I got my card.

I think all cards will sell out quickly.
Seems despite the increase in prices just as many people are looking to buy as the 3000 series + the 4090 is the only card worth getting.
No miners, no pandemic, no scalpers, oodles more stock, and more expensive. I don't agree they will sell out quickly at all. But hey, only two more days and we will see won't we.

Last edited:
I think all cards will sell out quickly.
Seems despite the increase in prices just as many people are looking to buy as the 3000 series + the 4090 is the only card worth getting.

I seriously doubt demand is as high as 3000 series was.

No pandemic.
No lock downs.
No stimulus checks.
No crypto mining.

*edit* beat me to it.^

Last edited:
No miners, no pandemic, no scalpers, oodles more stock, and more expensive. I don't agree they will sell out quickly at all. But hey, only two more days and we will see won't we.

Some of the really high end AIB might struggle to sell out.
But the FE will be OOS quicker than you can click add to cart.
The cheaper AIB will also sell out within a couple of minutes.

I would be surprised if OC haven't sold all their cards by 2.30 on Wednesday.

Back
Top Bottom