• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Will be? They've been direct competitor to AIBs for a while now. And have WAY better margins too (so much more wiggle room for pricing).
It's probably why EVGA wanted out since if sales collapse in a few months time forcing a price cut then AIBs will be left carrying the can.

Surprised the prices on Nvidia's site aren't listed as 'from...' Seems weird to be so specific if retailers are setting their own prices.

Last edited:
So nearly every partner card has three fans on the front, none on the back.

The FE is quite a unique design. Is it better or worse? Cost saving or actually really good? I'm wondering if it would be nosier because of its design or quieter.

Anyone got any insight?

Not an easy question to answer.

The straight answer is that the quietest card will probably be the MSI Trio X (or equivalent MSI card) or, the Suprim X. The suspicion is that the Suprim X chips are binned to within an inch of their lives and therefore, under standard settings the good VRM's and good chip mean less heat an less noise. MSI just have a good fan setup.

If its a 4090 card, coil whine noise will be a bigger problem unless you have a really good VRM setup the FE cards usually have that for stock. This is because the amount of voltage going through these cards is next level so i expect more complaints of coil whine.

If its an FE and history repeats itself, the card on the chip might be better binned and have better voltage/TDP capabilities through a custom bios than any card.

Therefore the actual fan setup becomes irrelevant if you are going to use a custom bios later as the FE cards will probably outrun everything else.

The Strix OC will be the fastest without a custom bios, most likely but will be noisy as a result.

Last edited:
And would you believe it.

The nv store has put the prices up of the AIB cards from this morning :mad:

If the pound tanks later today ;) I can see the price go up again ..as the BoE stepped in again at 8pm and gilts stopped for a bit then carried on upwards rate movements, as before. suggests the issue may not be pension fund liquidity but something much more serious.....so expect that price to go up...as the pound drops

Last edited:
Surprised the prices on Nvidia's site aren't listed as 'from...' Seems weird to be so specific if retailers are setting their own prices.

Means that at least one retailer has confirmed they will sell the card at that price.
Given their connection to Scram then, I am just guessing that is the prices they are charging.

If its an FE and history repeats itself, the card on the chip might be better binned and have better voltage/TDP capabilities through a custom bios than any card.

Therefore the actual fan setup becomes irrelevant if you are going to use a custom bios later as the FE cards will probably outrun everything else.
Sadly last gen there were 0 other bios to flash to the FE for higher PL, due to custom pcb and connector :(

Means that at least one retailer has confirmed they will sell the card at that price.
Given their connection to Scram then, I am just guessing that is the prices they are charging.

Like every generation, you'll find stores with stock are much more expensive. Stores without stock will be cheaper, though with an unknown wait time until stock actually arrives etc...

This is also my skip generation but I'm running out of youth and I want to start enjoying some of these RTX games at high (144) framerates
Were it not for VR, I would have no interest in upgrading. Even with VR, I'm perfectly happy with the majority of what I do. I think that's one of the reasons I'm not fealing the FOMO this time.

Getting my night races to look as good as my day races (sim racing) would be nice, but I don't do a lot of night racing anyway, so even if next gen was a good value, I still won't get much (personally) out of an upgrade.

This gen almost feels like I'm looking at power tools rather than toys. There's this one thing I would like to do and the tool I need for the job won't be of much use to me beyond this task that I rarely need to accomplish.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom