• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Associate
I’ve got a 3060ti FE at the minute that plays all my games well. For a lot of gamers like me at 1440p I’m not sure next gen is worth it especially as games haven’t really come on over the last 2 years.

Soldato
£650 to £690 is significantly lower than £800-£900.

Making numbers up as they always do to try make people panic sell ;). Reality the high-street second hand place CEX is selling 3090s for £950 lowest and they went down to £900 lowest for a few days and they upped them right up and all other cards are heading up too. They were trying to get people to panic sell to them too. CEX are second hand market manipulators and they do it because silly people panic sell and don't think as we saw with 2080ti sales and I'm sure people that sold then learned a valuable lesson because a few weeks later their cards were worth more than they paid for them or even double to more than what they sold them for.

Also all these magical really cheap cards many mention on ebay are always people with zero feedback and accounts that vanish a few days later because ebay knows they are the same scammers coming back all the time they ban them with new accounts ;) . Ignore all the fake prices many are putting up also remember the people on these forums or other forums could be the same scammers on ebay doing it. Don't fall for a brick in the post and just a box of the item or worse nothing at all.

Soldato
Perhaps they have good reason to panic. I get the feeling with the gluttony of cards bought for mining we're yet to see the full sell-off, or card prices would be rock bottom

Associate
Making numbers up as they always do to try make people panic sell ;). Reality the high-street second hand place CEX is selling 3090s for £950 lowest and they went down to £900 lowest for a few days and they upped them right up and all other cards are heading up too. They were trying to get people to panic sell to them too. CEX are second hand market manipulators and they do it because silly people panic sell and don't think as we saw with 2080ti sales and I'm sure people that sold then learned a valuable lesson because a few weeks later their cards were worth more than they paid for them or even double to more than what they sold them for.

Also all these magical really cheap cards many mention on ebay are always people with zero feedback and accounts that vanish a few days later because ebay knows they are the same scammers coming back all the time they ban them with new accounts ;) . Ignore all the fake prices many are putting up also remember the people on these forums or other forums could be the same scammers on ebay doing it. Don't fall for a brick in the post and just a box of the item or worse nothing at all.

One thing they can't change is the business case for mining which is gone right now. Those millions of cards sold direct to miners will impact the used market. The question is how much, you could easily see a *slow* decline in used prices this year as these excess cards appear on the market.

cap4.jpg

Caporegime
Perhaps they have good reason to panic. I get the feeling with the gluttony of cards bought for mining we're yet to see the full sell-off, or card prices would be rock bottom
There is rarely ever a reason to panic especially when you that panic is based on knee-jerk speculation and not based on facts. Selling a 3090 at such a lower than average price this early, literal months before you can get a replacement 4000 card, is just not logical, especially as its likely to be the same crapshoot with the new generation as the last generation, with the launch stock facing insane demand and fought over by desperate consumers and scalpers alike.

Unless you literally do not have the cash to afford a new card without selling the old one, then as someone serious about gaming who appreciates minimum stress and downtime. the smart thing to do is wait until you have the new one in your hands before selling. We all should have learnt something from the Ampere launch and I sure as hell don't want to go through months of having no card and checking shops for stock almost every day. It was not a fun time especially as it was during the Winter COVID period when gaming time was at its peak.

Last edited:
Associate
There is rarely ever a reason to panic especially when you that panic is based on knee-jerk speculation and not based on facts. Selling a 3090 at such a lower than average price this early, literal months before you can get a replacement 4000 card, is just not logical, especially as its likely to be the same crapshoot with the new generation as the last generation, with the launch stock facing insane demand and fought over by desperate consumers and scalpers alike.

Unless you literally do not have the cash to afford a new card without selling the old one, then as someone serious about gaming who appreciates minimum stress and downtime. the smart thing to do is wait until you have the new one in your hands before selling. We all should have learnt something from the Ampere launch and I sure as hell don't want to go through months of having no card and checking shops for stock almost every day. It was not a fun time especially as it was during the Winter COVID period when gaming time was at its peak.

For gamers with a single card, yes. Hold and use until the 4000 series is out.

For miners with more than one card, what should they do? I expect them to sell their excess cards, they might keep one for gaming or a second for the children, the rest are just a depreciating asset.

Associate
Yeah those are way to cheap to be legit sales and anyone who thinks otherwise is not thinking very logically. There is no good reason for anyone to panic sell 3090's for well below average prices now with the 4000 series launch still around 4-5 months away.
its legit

the sellers have thousands in excellent feedback

you have to be wary on the sellers that have 0 or very low feedback, especially when their feedback is from items for a few quid

but there are those like i said that probably are miners selling 3090s for 800ish that want to recoupe some of their money back from the £2000 cards they bought during the mining and covid period

Soldato
its legit

the sellers have thousands in excellent feedback

you have to be wary on the sellers that have 0 or very low feedback, especially when their feedback is from items for a few quid

but there are those like i said that probably are miners selling 3090s for 800ish that want to recoupe some of their money back from the £2000 cards they bought during the mining and covid period

Could be hacked ebay accounts too or fake accounts with fake feedback many of them there too. No one is giving stuff away at none market rates. Even worse they could be selling broken goods and then blaming you for breaking it when you install it.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Maybe they don't use the popular auction site much or buy goods that expensive on it. Different story using it as a search engine instead of participating on the bids. It was a known scam years back where they would return the card as faulty to the seller and it was a different serial no they shipped back. As the bay offer buyer protection it made it a mess, I would not risk it on this type of component.

With FE drops being in stock for so long it makes more sense to get the new item and have proper warranty. With it being near to a new gen though its also sensible to forget about ampere and look what both brands offer for the £4-500 mark.

Caporegime
For gamers with a single card, yes. Hold and use until the 4000 series is out.

For miners with more than one card, what should they do? I expect them to sell their excess cards, they might keep one for gaming or a second for the children, the rest are just a depreciating asset.

Hmm you are right and I didn't consider that aspect of miners who have tons. If anyone can bag a 3090 for less than £700 it certainly isn't a bad deal, however a lot of low-priced cards on Ebay appear to be scams from 0-rated sellers.

it's mad how direct from nvidia you can get a 3080 for pretty much rrp now. hopefully we get the same luck with the 4070
The current "rrp-ish" prices are simply due to the supply catching up with demand almost 2 years after Ampere was launched.

When Lovelace is launched it will likely be the same crazy demand with enthusiasts and scalpers competing for limited stock... for months.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hmm you are right and I didn't consider that aspect of miners who have tons. If anyone can bag a 3090 for less than £700 it certainly isn't a bad deal, however a lot of low-priced cards on Ebay appear to be scams from 0-rated sellers.

The current "rrp-ish" prices are simply due to the supply catching up with demand almost 2 years after Ampere was launched.

When Lovelace is launched it will likely be the same crazy demand with enthusiasts and scalpers competing for limited stock... for months.
Would not even buy a 3090 for that price right now (if you have anything decent anyway) even then next gen should hopefully bring a lot of extra performance for the money.

Ladies and gentlemen my name is Paul.. AD102 800w, AD103 450w.
Lots of rumours about that, is that just the power draw of the card alone? Ridiculous if true

Permabanned

do you reckon what with ebay prices being nearly normal and electric being so high mining is dead?
What do you reckon the real TDP for a 4070/80 will be as that is a major factor for me... I'll obviously undervolt it and lock it at 60-100fps in 1440p/4k for SP games and just lock it to sync higher at 180hz for MP on my 180hz 1440p monitor (for when I rarely play MP) so I'm hoping I can get it down nicely as I don't want to be spending more than £70 a month at 35p kw/h on using it a month every day lol.

Associate
The 3090 is a 1000watt GPU, flash galax LN2 bios and enjoy 1000watt
Well, when the outside temp was near 0°C that might have been useful. At 20°C+ it is an other story. Amazing what a difference of 20°C can make. It's only around 7%... In Kelvin (273°K vs 293°K).

For high-end GPUs I am far more interested in undervolting. 90% of the performance for 60% of the power has far more appeal to me than 105% of the performance for 200% of the power does.

Caporegime
do you reckon what with ebay prices being nearly normal and electric being so high mining is dead?
What do you reckon the real TDP for a 4070/80 will be as that is a major factor for me... I'll obviously undervolt it and lock it at 60-100fps in 1440p/4k for SP games and just lock it to sync higher at 180hz for MP on my 180hz 1440p monitor (for when I rarely play MP) so I'm hoping I can get it down nicely as I don't want to be spending more than £70 a month at 35p kw/h on using it a month every day lol.

Mining is not "dead" but for the moment I am assuming it is not profitable for the reasons you listed.

For high-end GPUs I am far more interested in undervolting. 90% of the performance for 60% of the power has far more appeal to me than 105% of the performance for 200% of the power does.
Yup this is the way!

Soldato
Well, when the outside temp was near 0°C that might have been useful. At 20°C+ it is an other story. Amazing what a difference of 20°C can make. It's only around 7%... In Kelvin (273°K vs 293°K).

Why bother getting a 4000 if you are just going to undervolt it..

Back
Top Bottom