• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Soldato
Can't say I'm overly upset about 8k, but the EU rules on power consumption have been getting more absurd by the year, its not just entertainment products but home appliances too. Not to get political but coming from the EU none of this surprises me. This just how they are. I hope there can be a change of tact. Energy shortages are going to be a concern in future, but frankly I don't see why we should be denied a choice of products because European energy policy has been so shortsighted for decades...
This is only the beginning. They will control and limit your quality of life with CBDCs and carbon credits and don't you worry the UK will follow suit.

Caporegime
Well not really of topic as this will effect computer monitors too and that means gpus too that will be able to use such resolutions at 8K and even 4K screens as you see are being banned now too.

Not it wont as 32" monitors at 8k are likely to still pass the new rules. Clearly 77" 8k TVs fail.

Soldato
Not it wont as 32" monitors at 8k are likely to still pass the new rules. Clearly 77" 8k TVs fail.

Not if they compare them to previous gen and say that's x amount more power use that they don't accept as technology exists at lower power use. Also 4k screens effected, are people reading the article or using the force ?

Last edited:
Associate
What games are you testing with ? Also what is the GPU Utilisation sat at for these games and what resolution are you gaming at ? Also check if any cores on the CPU are getting fully maxed out for these games too, because then you are CPU bound.
As an exmaple, shadow of the tomb raider benchmark. I am getting ~208fps at 1440p. Looking through reviews most seem to be getting 280fps. Some have slightly more powerful processors (for example 7950x), however, surely I shouldn't expect a a 80fps reduction between these CPU's? CPU utlisation only tops out at 60-70% on a single core and GPU utilisation sits at 60-80%.

Associate
Seems wildly off topic but I can see the justification for such a law when there is almost no content for these TV's where a lot of the power is being wasted on post-processing. Christ we still don't have much 4K content after almost a decade.
Have to disagree, there's plenty of streaming and youtube stuff in 4k now, plus games consoles are 4k. Most younger people don't watch traditional TV which is the place lagging behind in 4k output. I do worry where this trail of thought will lead, if they cotton on to how power hungry these new GPU's are we are in for a fun time lol

Associate
I take it people havent seen the new Eco nonsense thats been peddled in the latest windows 11 update ?

All this carbon crap is nonsense and its all part of the climate agenda.

Dont forget you will own nothing and be happy whilst eating bugs... LOL
I do agree that some of the measures and ideas put forward are insane. But I don't think anyone is ever going to get this country eating bugs :cry:
Cutting back carbon emisssions is generally a good thing, for our own health if not the environment. But equally, I place the blame on those who had control over our energy policies. We wouldn't be hard up for electricity if they had just built the infrastructure a decade ago rather than rely on russia for energy imports on the cheap...

Soldato
Anyone having utlisation issues with their 4090? Had a google elsewhere and there seem to be quite a few people with issues? I am getting nowhere near the benchmarks that reviewers posted across a number of titles but can't understand why. Doesn't appear to be a CPU bottleneck (7700X) as I am running equivalent/near equivalent cpu specs to reviewers. Power draw etc seems fine and there seems to be nothing inherhently wrong hardware wise with the card, just doesn't seem to be performing as expected or as others have experienced. I wonder if it might be a case that the card is not playing nicely with Zen4 as yet.
I had this same issue when I first got the card (but with 5950x). I noticed it when despite getting into top 100 for graphics scores in timespy extreme (non cpu bound) I was severely under-performing on normal timespy (where you do get a bit of cpu limit on certain scenes of it).

A bios update fixed it for me. My last bios update was from early 2021, before windows 11 even released. Now I am on windows 11 I guess the latest bios update was needed.

But worth noting 4090 is so powerful you will probably get cpu limited in a bunch of games. It could be that.

Soldato
As an exmaple, shadow of the tomb raider benchmark. I am getting ~208fps at 1440p. Looking through reviews most seem to be getting 280fps. Some have slightly more powerful processors (for example 7950x), however, surely I shouldn't expect a a 80fps reduction between these CPU's? CPU utlisation only tops out at 60-70% on a single core and GPU utilisation sits at 60-80%.

How have you connected the power to the 4090 and what psu are you using ? Are you using 4 separate cables from the psu to the supplied nvidia 4 pcie 8pin to the new connector 12pin+4 ?. Maybe worth checking if your gpu is hitting a power wall with gpuz. Also make sure you are using same settings as the reviewers, they are normally using the default high setting in that game , so stick to the defaults setting they use or settings they have changed and used.

Also make sure HAGS and game mode is enabled in windows and REBAR in the motherboard BIOS and again can be checked if enabled with GPUZ or under the Nvidia driver info setting.

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone having utlisation issues with their 4090? Had a google elsewhere and there seem to be quite a few people with issues? I am getting nowhere near the benchmarks that reviewers posted across a number of titles but can't understand why. Doesn't appear to be a CPU bottleneck (7700X) as I am running equivalent/near equivalent cpu specs to reviewers. Power draw etc seems fine and there seems to be nothing inherhently wrong hardware wise with the card, just doesn't seem to be performing as expected or as others have experienced. I wonder if it might be a case that the card is not playing nicely with Zen4 as yet.
My 4090 is definitely very odd in some games but my guess is its down to my i7 8700k - 4K Ultra settings 25-30 fps so I guess that isnt to bad because its very playable and looks stunning at them settings, I guess I was just hoping for more but from some youtube Vids I've seen people are getting over 60 fps but my guess is they are not using ultra settings and have some things turned off.
Plagues Tale I'm getting the same FPS as advertised with DLSS 3.0 running around 175-190 fps at 4k Ultra but the game does stutter but from looking online this is the same for most people.
I'll see what the gains are on the new 13th series and then make my mind up if to upgrade or not.

Caporegime
Have to disagree, there's plenty of streaming and youtube stuff in 4k now, plus games consoles are 4k. Most younger people don't watch traditional TV which is the place lagging behind in 4k output. I do worry where this trail of thought will lead, if they cotton on to how power hungry these new GPU's are we are in for a fun time lol
The bitrate tends to be such that you may as well be watching in 1080p (also if quality settings are set on auto then I'd suggest the vast, vast majority will be watching sub-4K content) and I would think that most TV's aren't connected to a console either but won't bother trying to confirm that assumption.

Anyway to make it more relevant I doubt CPU/GPU's will be getting legislated against since they are typically bought to actually achieve a level of work that justifies the power usage and it also wouldn't fly with many businesses dependent on increasing computational power.

Last edited:
Soldato
I do agree that some of the measures and ideas put forward are insane. But I don't think anyone is ever going to get this country eating bugs :cry:
I wouldn't be so sure of that. They managed to turn an entire generation of young people into renters living with random room-mates in their 30s riddled with debt.

Associate
How have you connected the power to the 4090 and what psu are you using ? Are you using 4 separate cables from the psu to the supplied nvidia 4 pcie 8pin to the new connector 12pin+4 ?. Maybe worth checking if your gpu is hitting a power wall with gpuz. Also make sure you are using same settings as the reviewers, they are normally using the default high setting in that game , so stick to the defaults setting they use or settings they have changed and used.

Also make sure HAGS and game mode is enabled in windows and REBAR in the motherboard BIOS and again can be checked if enabled with GPUZ or under the Nvidia driver info setting.
Thanks for the help appreciate it.

Just tried again in shadow of the tomb raider and seems to be a CPU issue. Did a 1080p low settings run and got very similar results. However, now I am looking at 7700x benchmarks for this and my fps seems way off from them so definitely something cpu related.

Soldato
Cutting back carbon emisssions is generally a good thing, for our own health if not the environment. But equally, I place the blame on those who had control over our energy policies. We wouldn't be hard up for electricity if they had just built the infrastructure a decade ago rather than rely on russia for energy imports on the cheap.

You do understand that CO2 in the atmosphere only accounts for 0.041% and the uk only attribute 1% of that ? We are at the lowest CO2 in the atmosphere in the last 350million years.

Plus plants thrive off CO2 and give off oxygen in return, so maybe we should stop chopping down trees and deforestation in the amazon etc and start planting more trees if everyone is that worried.

I for one see straight through the nonsense that is climate change and the carbon agenda.

Back
Top Bottom