• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Just a heads up to anyone that has MSI S X ! Make sure you put the card in GAMING MODE ON THE CARD BIO SWITCH ! DEFAULT IS OFF !

OTHER WISE YOU LOSE MASSIVE FPS LOL ! I JUST FOUND THIS OUT.
I was getting 25 fps max in MSFS at 4k ultra I am now in gaming mode and getting 45 FPS ! Whoooooop massive difference I am so happy now, 4K Ultra everything.
Didnt really give me any performance boost on my aorus 4090

4090s only have a pcie 4 interface/slot. No no performance issues as they don't support pcie 5 even if you have a pcie 5 cpu and motherboard.
Appreciate that, but was looking more towards the performance loss vs directly plugged into the motherboard. I also saw there were issues with PCIE 4.0 risers last year. Not sure if that's still the case.

Cheers

The card that just keeps on giving @Purgatory :cry:

Yes for MSFS it keeps giving people a headache as no better so far and another person on the MSFS came from a 3080 to a 4090 and seeing same FPS.

EditerTech Alpha Insider
2d

I didn’t do thorough recorded benchmarks or anything, but I did do some baseline performance comparisons to see the performance difference between the RTX 3080 10GB and the RTX 4090 24GB on my existing system, with a 10900K, 32GB RAM.
  • In heavily CPU-bound situations (settings on Ultra, poor performance areas like NYC/London/Seattle), the sim is completely CPU bound even under DX12, and my frame rates were basically identical (within 1-2 fps) without the DLSS Frame Generation turned on. Once I turned that on, FPS mostly doubled. From 40ish around NYC to about 75 on average in the same area/plane/weather. (5,120x1,440 monitor, so essentially similar rendering demands as a 4K display.)
  • There’s a been a lot of talk about visual glitches with frame generation turned on. I have never seen/noticed such a glitch. I could probably find some if I video-captured a flight and frame-by-framed, but I’m not seeing/noticing them in actual flying.
  • In VR, though, I did see a pretty big increase in frame rate over the 3080, even without DLSS 3.0/Frame Generation being available. Because I’m less CPU-bound there (I had the LOD turned down to 100 to maintain a good frame rate on the 3080), I went from around 45 fps to about 70-72 on a Reverb G2, which is dramatically faster. This is with motion reprojection off. (MR artifacts bug me.) Enabling DLSS quality gave me about the same frame rate as 80% resolution scaling but a little sharper image.
No regrets on the upgrade, but in my limited testing of a couple of hours of playing around with the card, my initial impressions are:
  • In games, which are usually GPU-limited, the 4090 is a beast. In MSFS, which is easy to CPU-limit, it’s still a beast, but only because of the frame doubling. If you’re CPU-limited, you may not see much difference over a 3080 unless you run DX12 with frame generation enabled.
  • Given that all the real increase is coming from the frame doubling, rather than rushing to get a 4090, watch to see what kinds of frame rates people get in MSFS with 4080s or even 4070-level cards. If you’re seeing your base performance CPU-limited, those cards will also offer DLSS Frame Generation, and you may get identical performance at a lower price.
  • The moral of the story is you’re gonna need both a killer CPU and a 40-series video card to get the most out of MSFS.
I have a 13900K on order, so it’ll be interesting to see how much that combo increases performance.

Basically zero difference on monitor users and only a benefit for VR and DLSS 3.0 doesn't work for VR DLSS2 does and that shows the uplift at VR resolutions but people complain the image is blurry too, because frame generation can't work on VR and never will frame generation will make a mess and make it unusable. Meeh ... Nvidia pulled a scam really with this as a selling point and DLSS 3.0 is not how people want to use MSFS in DX12 as DX12 is broken in the game and still in BETA, anyways more testing I need to do this weekend so far not seeing any changes from my 3090 to a 4090 at 4k with a 7950x at native DX11 and DX12 same FPS just less GPU utilisation on the 4090 ..because still cpu bound.

Last edited:
Appreciate that, but was looking more towards the performance loss vs directly plugged into the motherboard. I also saw there were issues with PCIE 4.0 risers last year. Not sure if that's still the case.

Cheers

They were rubbish risers that caused that, good quality ones will work fine and many good ones now available and no you will not loose performance or stability with a good riser and if you do basically a rubbish riser if you test it at pcie 3 and works without issue means it's not really a pcie 4 riser.

I looked in too it the beta only at the moment and final release in Nov ! To be honest I need it I'm getting like max of 20 to 30 FPS MAX at high or ultra settings ! The games playable but its not smooth at all so that DLSS 3 is going to make a massive different.
need to find out how to install that SU11

MFS is a demanding sim, I generally max out but on this I downgraded to high on most settings, still on a 3090ti FPS @1440p wasn't that great
Hopefully this will give us the frames needed for a smoother experience, Concorde at 60000ft Mach2 inc....

Yes for MSFS it keeps giving people a headache as no better so far and another person on the MSFS came from a 3080 to a 4090 and seeing same FPS.

Basically zero difference on monitor users and only a benefit for VR and DLSS 3.0 doesn't work for VR DLSS2 does and that shows the uplift at VR resolutions but people complain the image is blurry too, because frame generation can't work on VR and never will frame generation will make a mess and make it unusable. Meeh ... Nvidia pulled a scam really with this as a selling point and DLSS 3.0 is not how people want to use MSFS in DX12 as DX12 is broken in the game and still in BETA, anyways more testing I need to do this weekend so far not seeing any changes from my 3090 to a 4090 at 4k with a 7950x at native DX11 and DX12 same FPS just less GPU utilisation on the 4090 ..because still cpu bound.

With regards to the CPU speed, this might be of use, perhaps? https://www.techpowerup.com/299959/...higher-gaming-performance-with-a-ccd-disabled

Ohh I know disabling SMT and a CCD on the 7950x made the performance go up on MSFS by 10-20% depending on the plane and area of the map used, but same uplift came to the 3090 too so still not much faster than a 4090 in real world, just the SIM ran a few frames more that are not here or there, it needs much better cpus or optimising and DX12 fixed on it too as most people don't want to use DX12 with it as it causes issues for addons and other issues for some like stuttering with DX12 and with DX11 no stutters .

I wish LGA2066 successor was released, that would go nicely with the 40 series, more PCIe lanes ect...

Im still on my X299 motherboard, changed the chip a few times, I would have gone LGA 1700 but not enough lanes.

I wish LGA2066 successor was released, that would go nicely with the 40 series, more PCIe lanes ect...

Im still on my X299 motherboard, changed the chip a few times, I would have gone LGA 1700 but not enough lanes.

Enjoy..

Also won't run games faster as their cores run slower, fastest cpu right now is a 7950x for games.

Last edited:
Definitely not me right now...

giphy.gif

Ohh I know disabling SMT and a CCD on the 7950x made the performance go up on MSFS by 10-20% depending on the plane and area of the map used, but same uplift came to the 3090 too so still not much faster than a 4090 in real world, just the SIM ran a few frames more that are not here or there, it needs much better cpus or optimising and DX12 fixed on it too as most people don't want to use DX12 with it as it causes issues for addons and other issues for some like stuttering with DX12 and with DX11 no stutters .
Fair enough. As far as I am aware, MSFS was always a huge hog on CPU (past versions too) and for this complexity of simulation it might take them few more years to really optimise it to use properly all available cores. Or, another version of MSFS.

Back
Top Bottom