• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Caporegime
Hi, been lurking here for awhile and really pleased to see most of you are happy with your new 4090’s. I am really in a muddle as to whether it’s worth the upgrade from my current 3090, I am running an i9 X intel cpu and so am curious to know if I will see some of the big gains the 4090 seems to be capable of over the previous generation. I want one (especially the FE if it ever comes back in stock) but I am not sure I need one! I know, nice problem to have! Anyone coming from a 3090 seen huge improvement?

Rig as per my sig. Big gains for me from my 3090 even without DLSS. It really is a 4k 60fps minimum card that the 2080ti was sold to us from memory.

Deleted member 258511

D

Deleted member 258511

If I end up with one I won’t be upgrading my 5950X for it.

For the sake of a few % performance I don’t think it’s worth it.

Sure, it would be nicer to run one with a 7950X but I’m really not that bothered to go to the trouble of upgrading CPU, mobo and RAM for AM5.
A 5950x is still a very capable CPU. I think it’s more the people that are pairing a 4090 with a very old CPU and trying to get away with the minimum PSU possible.

Commissario
Does this build look ok to you guys?

2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe PCIe 4.0, 7000MB/s Read, 5000MB/s Write, 1000K IOPS
Fractal Design Define 7 XL
ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-F GAMING WIFI
Intel Core i9 13900K, Raptor Lake, 24 Cores, 32 Threads, 3.0GHz Base, 5.8GHz Turbo
Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Black - Quiet Performance Air Cooler
32GB (2x16GB) Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 5200MHz CAS36 [Black]
24GB ASUS GeForce RTX 4090 TUF GAMING OC, 16384 Cores, 2565MHz Boost, GDDR6X - GeForce RTX VR Ready
Corsair RM1000x, Modular, Silent, 80PLUS GOLD
I'd be looking at 6000Mhz DDR5 if you can, and maybe an AIO CPU cooler? Also good luck sourcing that 4090 :D

Rup

Rup

Associate
And yet some of the best vacuum cleaners in tests and actually sucking up dirt were the like so Miele with 900W motors and the ones with 2700W motors were useless and took longer to vacuuming your floor????

Bigger engine doesnt always mean faster or more efficently. Just look at cars for an example. You get old US 7.1l v8 engines putting out 200bhp and then 1.3l triple turbo engines putting out the same bhp.
Yes you can have powerful vac that's crap as well as a weak vac that's crap. A good powerful vac is better than a good weak vac.
Ultimately I'll go with what James Dyson says on the spec of a vac, rather than some EU politicians & eurocrats.

Soldato
A 5950x is still a very capable CPU. I think it’s more the people that are pairing a 4090 with a very old CPU and trying to get away with the minimum PSU possible.

yeah some people have to upgrade in stages though. A friend is buying my 3090 to replace 2070s and pairing with a 8700k which will cpu bottleneck on his 1440p monitor res. He'll upgrade the rest before xmas break though to probably intel 13th gen

if you upgrade cpu/mobo/ram you'll be gpu limited, if you go gpu first you'll be cpu limited

Last edited:

Deleted member 258511

D

Deleted member 258511

yeah some people have to upgrade in stages though. A friend is buying my 3090 to replace 2070s and pairing with a 8700k which will cpu bottleneck on his 1440p monitor res. He'll upgrade the rest before xmas break though to probably intel 13th gen

if you upgrade cpu/mobo/ram you'll be gpu limited, if you go gpu first you'll be cpu limited
You are always going to have a limit somewhere. It’s about closing the gap as much as you possibly can. That’s all we can do to have a balanced system.

If your friend is upgrading before Christmas then that’s not long to wait at all. Should be an uplift.

Caporegime
Yes you can have powerful vac that's crap as well as a weak vac that's crap. A good powerful vac is better than a good weak vac.
Ultimately I'll go with what James Dyson says on the spec of a vac, rather than some EU politicians & eurocrats.

And yet strangely, Dyson still hasnt made a vacuum cleaner which breaks the EU top limits? Why is that?

And why did his "more powerful" vacuum cleaners never outperform the "good weak" vacuums at actually cleaning? Or do you mean Dyson couldn't make good weak vacs so had to rely on more powerful motors to keep up with the competition?

There never was "good powerful vacs" as the best vacuum cleaner manufacturers knew how to build vacuums that didn't require 3kw motors and outperformed them.

Last edited:
Soldato
What is wrong with people!!!! I'm going to be ******** on some people on these forums but I don't care. Why are people buying a 4090 and then skimping on the rest of their system? If you cannot afford to upgrade the rest of your system to match the 4090, then you cannot afford a 4090!
People trying their luck with potentially under powered PSUs and then patting themselves on the back because they saved £150. You just bought a £1600-£2000 GPU (at launch for that matter!!!) and now all of a sudden you want to save money!!!! If you were serious about saving money you wouldn't have bought the GPU in the first place.

It is the same as people buying high performance cars but then they can't afford tyres. So they put rubbish tyres on the car or worst, run them till they're bald and the thread is visible.

Then you have people buying 2,3,4 of them at the same time then buying 4090fe because they got invitations in the hope they don't get one that whines (while they all whine because the nature of such high frequencies being used on them and the high fps they are throwing out, while others say they don't whine because they have hearing damage :cry: ) .. Then they wonder why prices are threw the roof, because it seems like demand is there but really greedy people are needing one but buying 4 and sending back the ones they don't want or attempting to scalp them before the return time is up. It's become shocking the stupidity that is going on this gen. You just have to look on these forums and social media of this behaviour. :rolleyes:

Humanity at its lowest form really.

Last edited:
Soldato
If I end up with one I won’t be upgrading my 5950X for it.

For the sake of a few % performance I don’t think it’s worth it.

Sure, it would be nicer to run one with a 7950X but I’m really not that bothered to go to the trouble of upgrading CPU, mobo and RAM for AM5.
Depending on how much performance is lost, it would range from a bad decisions to an acceptable compromise.

Reactions: HRL
Caporegime
Well VERY obviously because he couldnt sell it in the EU.

He sells his vacuum cleaners worldwide. Why not have a 3kw monster that he sells into the rest of the world which would put all other vacuum cleaners to shame? Because its not needed. He knows that. I bet you believed he left the UK because we were in the EU as well didnt you? When is he moving his factories back to the UK? We have been left for 6 years now.

Soldato
Seems wildly off topic but I can see the justification for such a law when there is almost no content for these TV's where a lot of the power is being wasted on post-processing. Christ we still don't have much 4K content after almost a decade.

Exactly there's no need for 8K TV, it's simply nothing more than marketing to get silly people to spend stupid amounts of money on something with no purpose.

Soldato
Exactly there's no need for 8K TV, it's simply nothing more than marketing to get silly people to spend stupid amounts of money on something with no purpose.

8k TVs have a purpose but ONLY for very large screens 100"+ and then when sat at normal viewing distance it makes a difference from 4k if not then it's too small a TV and then a 4K is enough. 8k signage for large signs comes to mind or public spaces with very large screens, most uk homes find it difficult to fit a 55" tv in the living room and even at 55" I think 1080p is enough at normal viewing distance and 65-75" for 4K and even 85", up from that 100"+ then 8K is the way to go if you have the space and distance from it to view it comfortably.

Computer monitors I really don't think they need 8K for the sizes we have right now, profession applications like medical or engineering can easily make use of 8K, everyone else on their home sized monitors not really.

Soldato
8k TVs have a purpose but ONLY for very large screens 100"+ and then when sat at normal viewing distance it makes a difference from 4k if not then it's too small a TV and then a 4K is enough. 8k signage for large signs comes to mind or public spaces with very large screens, most uk homes find it difficult to fit a 55" tv in the living room and even at 55" I think 1080p is enough at normal viewing distance and 65-75" for 4K and even 85", up from that 100"+ then 8K is the way to go if you have the space and distance from it to view it comfortably.

Computer monitors I really don't think they need 8K for the sizes we have right now, profession applications like medical or engineering can easily make use of 8K, everyone else on their home sized monitors not really.

Agreed.

Rup

Rup

Associate
He sells his vacuum cleaners worldwide. Why not have a 3kw monster that he sells into the rest of the world which would put all other vacuum cleaners to shame? Because its not needed. He knows that. I bet you believed he left the UK because we were in the EU as well didnt you? When is he moving his factories back to the UK? We have been left for 6 years now.
Why have you picked 3kw when I've told you already the EU limit is 0.9 kw? Plenty of vac's usto be above that.
No-one is going to design a mass market product and not sell in the EU. Haven't you heard apple will fit usb-c to iphones after the recent EU ruling?
Is anyone moving factories from the far east into the EU? No, the labour costs are far cheaper there.

I'm not going to talk about vac's anymore in a GPU thread. Your personal dislike of a brilliant innovator, who has achieved far more than you is plain to see.
I'll say it again, I'll trust Dyson when it comes to vac specs far more than eurocrats or 2 guys on the web.
Yes that includes you and me!

Last edited:
Associate
I have a 9700k - is there no point me getting a 4090?

I have a 4k 120 display and was hoping I could crank everything to ultra.

I also thought having DLS3.0 in games meant it didn’t matter if you were CPU bottlenecked?

Associate
Sometimes they're "sold" to friends & family to make it look like they're going for good money. Then they'll be re-listed a few days later.
Considering high eBay fees that would be very silly way to make monies. Of course, they could also refund them through ebay but that would also show I believe.

Associate
Does anyone know when the GFE invite period ends? Desperate for a FE at this stage and I'm not getting any joy with an invite :(

I also thought having DLS3.0 in games meant it didn’t matter if you were CPU bottlenecked?

It'll work... but you'll be sacrificing lots of frames against a CPU that isn't 4 years old :p

Last edited:
Associate

Re 9700k - it depends which games you are playing, but you will probably be CPU limited below 4k and perhaps 1440p ultrawide, depending on the title. 9700k is a decent CPU but you'll see pretty big gains going to higher end Intel 12th/13th gen or AMD 5xxx/7xxx SKUs. If you want to upgrade right now and you're only gaming, the 5800X3d is fairly cheap, and as it's the last chip for the AM4 socket and DDR4 is on its way out, the rest of the system would probably be fairly cheap as well. Have a look at some 1080p benchmarks comparing the 9700k and the 5800X3D :)

Re DLSS 3.0, the extra frames are interpolated using AI inferred on the tensor cores on the GPU (and trained on some sort of supercomputer like a DX1). As the frames are imagined by the tensor cores, there are no additional draw calls/AI/cpu workload.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom