• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Soldato
I hate the fact Nvidia are starving the market of stock - its utter BS
I don't mind the invites tbh but you'd think such a smart (AI powered :D) company would have seen it coming that some will try to sell the invite on, defeating their objective really, so the process is flawed.
I'd rather be offered an invite to buy one than trying the frustrating process of trying to snag one on a random shop drop. NV can use tools to determine who buy them to game with, rather than scalp or mine with.

Last edited:
Associate
About the invite, it’s valid for about 3 or 4 days from the day the person claim in the GeForce Now app. Not sure how long to claim.
As I’m skipping this generation, I tried to share the link for another user. Won’t work because once you go to the retailer, they’ll match the order to the user email or something. The easiest way was to order the GPU and get the user to collect it.
No big deal for me, as mentioned before, no reason to waste it when someone else can have it.

Soldato
Can some-one help, just install my Asus TUF and max power draw is around 308w in furmark 4K. I'm using 2 PCIE type 4 cables so 4 8pin into the adapater so believe this would be good for up to 600w??

are you daisy chaining 2 cables in to the 4 way connector? if so it's doing it's job to limiting to 150w per cable

Associate
Daisy-chaining is always a no-no with GPU's, particularly with these power hungry 4090's.

You'll always get someone saying they daisy-chain with no problems, but generally, it is not recommended.
I'll be one of the people saying no problems .. I've used daisy chain for 2 of the 3 x 8-pin connectors to my 420W 3090 for years with no issues. As long as you have a decent PSU then those cables are designed to carry 300W exactly the same as 2 separate cables otherwise they wouldn't include them ..

Caporegime
Because if I know enthusiasts and I do, that bright green pixel is going to drive you batty and wear down your resistance in no time!
it's about 5 inches down and 3 inches across from the right side of an ultrawide so I can ignore it mostly.

Oled image burn in people have been having put me off getting an expoensive monitor

So you need 4 PCIE cables connected to it?
You only need to connect 3.

on the Suprim x 3 limits you to 93% power limit and 4 gives you upto 108% or was it 109

I was just using 3 but then daisy chain the 4th anyway, I'm sure my psu can handle it when it's 1000watt and probably was designed for running SLI but only came with 5x CPU/PCIE outputs and I need 2 of them for the CPU.

Lets face it if your PSU is gold standard 1000w and single rail it probably was designed with multiple GPU in mind

Last edited:
Soldato
I'll be one of the people saying no problems .. I've used daisy chain for 2 of the 3 x 8-pin connectors to my 420W 3090 for years with no issues. As long as you have a decent PSU then those cables are designed to carry 300W exactly the same as 2 separate cables otherwise they wouldn't include them ..

think it's the way the new sensor wires work, daisy will combine so it's thinking it only has 2 connections to 150w sockets. The proper 2 in to 1 cable sense's it can pull 300w per socket but the cables are way thicker than old style cables. They still get warm in use as well so absolutely no way I'd recommend pushing 600w down the thinner cables

Soldato
it's about 5 inches down and 3 inches across from the right side of an ultrawide so I can ignore it mostly.

Oled image burn in people have been having put me off getting an expoensive monitor

You only need to connect 3.

on the Suprim x 3 limits you to 93% power limit and 4 gives you upto 108% or was it 109

I was just using 3 but then daisy chain the 4th anyway, I'm sure my psu can handle it when it's 1000watt and probably was designed for running SLI but only came with 5x CPU/PCIE outputs and I need 2 of them for the CPU

You don't need to buy an OLED.

Caporegime
think it's the way the new sensor wires work, daisy will combine so it's thinking it only has 2 connections to 150w sockets. The proper 2 in to 1 cable sense's it can pull 300w per socket but the cables are way thicker than old style cables. They still get warm in use as well so absolutely no way I'd recommend pushing 600w down the thinner cables
if they are CPU/PCIE sockets on your psu then they aren't 150watt sockets and no one is pushing 600watt down a single socket.

worst that is likely to happen even if it did is your PSU trips and you lose power, unless your PSU is some garbage one.

I'd imagine 99% of 4090 users are power limiting their GPU to around 70% like that bau8er guy showed is optimal anyway

Last edited:
Soldato
Same from my research, type 3 PCI connectors they shouldn't be chained up. With Type 4 you can pull 150 through each 8pin. You have to check your PSU spec

Soldato
if they are CPU/PCIE sockets on your psu then they aren't 150watt sockets and no one is pushing 600watt down a single socket.

worst that is likely to happen even if it did is your PSU trips and you lose power, unless your PSU is some garbage one.

I'd imagine 99% of 4090 users are power limiting their GPU to around 70% like that bau8er guy showed is optimal anyway

I mean if they play with OCing for some benchmarks then they can be going between 500-600w on most cards. On the old thinner style cables thats 250-300w per cable which is over spec. No way I'd recommend to do this. The PSU is fine as most modern will be over 300w per compatible socket

Back
Top Bottom