• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Soldato
Can some-one help, just install my Asus TUF and max power draw is around 308w in furmark 4K. I'm using 2 PCIE type 4 cables so 4 8pin into the adapater so believe this would be good for up to 600w??

I do know that the type 4 that Corsair sells plugs in to 2 pcie and is rated for 600W, course that is without the adapter. The adapter senses how many are plugged in to it so as long as you have the 2 splitting to four so all the adapter sockets are filled then yes, it should be good for 600W. Honestly I would recommend buying the cable to do away with the adapter altogether, it only costs £20.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Whats a sign I'm CPU limited? During gaming I'm using about 10% CPU (12700k stock), GPU usage is anywhere between 90-96%. Surely if I was CPU limited it'd be higher than 10%
CPU usage is irrelevant you will be limited by the speed of the fastest single thread because games don't scale across cores

Associate
Whats a sign I'm CPU limited? During gaming I'm using about 10% CPU (12700k stock), GPU usage is anywhere between 90-96%. Surely if I was CPU limited it'd be higher than 10%

In addition to the things other people have posted, you could find a game that will definitely be CPU bound, then find a stable underclock and a stable overclock for your CPU, and then try running benchmarks in other games using the under/overclock. If there's no difference in your average/1%low it's a GPU limit. If not it's a CPU limit.

It'll depend on what game you're playing, what is happening in the game at the time, what else your system is doing in the background, your resolution and graphics settings and a whole host of other stuff...but I'm sure you know this already :)

Soldato
What resolution are you running at? Anything lower than 4k and you're probably CPU limited.

4K 120hz, sorry should have said

I do know that the type 4 that Corsair sells plugs in to 2 pcie and is rated for 600W, course that is without the adapter. The adapter senses how many are plugged in to it so as long as you have the 2 splitting to four so all the adapter sockets are filled then yes, it should be good for 600W. Honestly I would recommend buying the cable to do away with the adapter altogether, it only costs £20.

Will do first on my list of things to buy next

Soldato
Guys I'm seeing Ebay listings with many, many bids closing at £4,000 and above. Are these real? Or are people screwing with the scalper's auctions?

People screwing with them or their friends and family are pretending to buy them and never really got sold. So to make it look like they are selling and later get relisted, don't fall for that and also there is no shortages of 4090s they are in stock on and off every day if you look and FE drops will be coming again soon. Don't pay for scalped goods and fall for them games there on ebay as that has always been the game there with the scalpers and scammers.

Last edited:
Associate
People screwing with them or their friends and family are pretending to buy them and never really got sold. So to make it look like they are selling and later get relisted, don't fall for that and also there is no shortages of 4090s they are in stock on and off every day if you look and FE drops will be coming again soon. Don't pay for scalped goods and fall for them games there on ebay as that has always been the game there with the scalpers and scammers.
I have been looking and it has been slim pickings this last few days bar the ridiculously expensive few that have popped up on some other sites. No FE's since Tuesday.

Last edited:
Soldato
Do we know they're deliberately starving the market of stock. The worst part of this (in my eyes) are the retailers reserving stock for the GFE invites and made-to-order builds, although that isn't so bad.

*wonders if OcUK will sell me a case with a Motherboard, CPU and GPU without anything else and call it a bundle* :D
Yes because we have been told they were significantly over supplied chips because of the mining crash. So they are holding onto chips to keep prices high and recoup costs further.

Soldato
I have been looking and it has been slim pickings this last few days bar the ridiculously expensive few that have popped up on some other sites. No FE's since Tuesday.

It will all change soon and once this Geforce experience invites runs out of people buying them all that FE stock at the UK retailer will be dumped on buyers from the nvidia store. They are only selling the allocated amount nvidia wants them to release at the moment as they are not running out of stock clearly with these invites and stock for RMAs too.

Wait till the 4080 16GB gets in stock and watch the 4090 and 4080 drops all the time and no one will buy the 4080s and they will sit there while scalpers try to scalp them for more .. Be patient this is nothing like the 30 series events.

Rup

Rup

Associate
I'm seeing regular 4090 stock notifications, but all hundreds over MSRP.
I dont think anyone is deliberatley starving the market, maybe they have a low yield for such a large die?

Caporegime
I dont think anyone is deliberatley starving the market, maybe they have a low yield for such a large die?
As always with modern GU releases the initial fevered demand far outstrips the supply that Nvidia and their partners have to supply to an entire world of stores.

Associate
Yup - agreed. I'm holding out for an FE as it's the only card that will fit in my case (without removing a Noctua NH-14 front intake).

Rup

Rup

Associate
Nvidia force their AIB's to sell at least 1 card model at RRP. Maybe they should enforce that on the retailers too?
Else it discourages AIB's from producing that card when they know the retailers will scalp it anyway.

Soldato

They are testing what people are willing to pay and only so many will pay more than the MSRP, remember what happened to the 3090ti ? It was what £1880 and went down to £1150 and still in stock the FE at that and not selling out. Same is heading for the 4090 if they drop them too quickly and 4090ti if they try to release one at $2k again is never going to sell, people are upset enough the 4090 is £1700 here when in USA they are $1600 and then EU at 2000 Euros for a FE.. They have lost the plot. This gen should have controlled the pricing better, but they did the opposite ..

Tried to sell a 4060ti as a 4080 12GB for £950

4070ti as a 4080 16GB £1200..

When the 30 series came out the reason people wanted the 3090s was because of the VRAM and the miners sadly wanted anything they could get and then the scalpers wanted anything to sell to the miners. Things are not the same now and no lockdowns and then people needed to buy pcs to work from home too or entertain themselves while in lockdown.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom