• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA 4000 Series

Associate
I have pointed this out before about the lack of grunt even with the 3090.... haven't I @TNA :p ;) There are some titles where a 3090 can't even hold a locked 60 @ 4k either unless you use a lower preset of dlss or/and reduce settings.
Games with lots of Ray Tracing Cyberpunk,Ghostwire Tokyo Watch Dogs Legion and that new plague tale game.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
AW OLED is only 3440 x 1440P (21:9) geeze I ran a 980ti 6GB for years at that resolution and was amazing fun gaming on it. On a 30/40 series must be something else as even the entry 3060-3060ti is twice as fast as the 980ti was. I was never wanting then until I jumped to 5120 x 1440p (32:9) and was time for a GPU update.

Some guyz like to crank up the RT and aim for a high refresh rate. :p

Soldato
I have pointed this out before about the lack of grunt even with the 3090.... haven't I @TNA :p ;) There are some titles where a 3090 can't even hold a locked 60 @ 4k either unless you use a lower preset of dlss or/and reduce settings.

It's always been like that for all GPUS and Games.. Fact of life of gaming on a pc, we always have to turn some settings down at some point in their life as new games come out with more demands on the hardware or even old games before even the latest and greatest came out gpu/cpu wise we still had to turn down settings, thats why the infamous "can it run Crysis" came to be, because took a few generations of gpus before it really could run it at high settings and decent frame rates, MSFS has always been that even when it lived on a single floppy 3.5" diskette, set it to max you got 4fps at the time on the latest and greatest hardware, I remember them days really. I even ran it on a very expensive server and annoyed the boss at the time because he feared the disk may have had a virus :cry:.

Caporegime
AW OLED is only 3440 x 1440P (21:9) geeze I ran a 980ti 6GB for years at that resolution and was amazing fun gaming on it. On a 30/40 series must be something else as even the entry 3060-3060ti is twice as fast as the 980ti was. I was never wanting then until I jumped to 5120 x 1440p (32:9) and was time for a GPU update.

Yup 3440x1440 is pretty easy to run with a high end gpu despite what one will have you believe ;) However, with the AW being 175hz, 3080 nor any gpu except probably the 4090 doesn't have the grunt to hit that unless as mentioned, you use a lower preset of dlss or/and reduce settings, it's actually easier to hit a locked 4k/60 than it is to push a constant 100+, let alone 140+ @ 3440x1440, even when using dlss quality, balanced and even performance mode in some cases i.e. cp 2077, dl 2, chernobylite with max RT.

Games with lots of Ray Tracing Cyberpunk,Ghostwire Tokyo Watch Dogs Legion and that new plague tale game.

Exactly and gotham knights being another recent one (although poorly optimised by the looks of it).

Last edited:
Soldato
Some guyz like to crank up the RT and aim for a high refresh rate. :p

I'm more a visual quality guy than a FPS guy and always wanted image quality over anything else and was more than happy to game at 30fps on most games that didn't need high fps. Some games that needed high fps simple knock the resolution down and keep the high quality textures and settings. That's the beauty of pcs always a way to optimise the settings for your needs at the time.

Reactions: TNA
Soldato
Yup 3440x1440 is pretty easy to run with a high end gpu despite what one will have you believe ;) However, with the AW being 175hz, 3080 nor any gpu except probably the 4090 doesn't have the grunt to hit that unless as mentioned, you use a lower preset of dlss or/and reduce settings, it's actually easier to hit a locked 4k/60 than it is to push a constant 100+, let alone 140+ @ 3440x1440, even when using dlss quality.

Exactly and gotham knights being another recent one (although poorly optimised by the looks of it).

I have a laptop with a 3080ti in and the screen is 1080p 360Hz ... seriously why 360Hz ? 120hz would have been more than enough for it and when connected to a external screen then higher resolutions available to make use of the 3080ti power, eg connected to 4k tv.

When I was on CRT monitors I would always set my refresh rate to 85hz and was perfect and remember first lcd screen with 60hz felt weird at first but got use to it then went 120hz and was like yes better but still to this day I swear the 85hz crt felt nicer to use than any flat screen lcd/oled monitor.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I'm more a visual quality guy than a FPS guy and always wanted image quality over anything else and was more than happy to game at 30fps on most games that didn't need high fps. Some games that needed high fps simple knock the resolution down and keep the high quality textures and settings. That's the beauty of pcs always a way to optimise the settings for your needs at the time.

I was on a 4k 60 display for a while there. Played a few games within its spec smooth limiting the frames. I got fibre bb recently so all the fps shooters were worth revisiting if I want to multiplay so I got a decent spec 1440p display high refresh too. If anything its extended the 3090 which is why there is no need to dump money on a GPU which looks like it will need a monster CPU to get that extra headroom. Best off waiting for the dust to settle and pick up the same tech in a years time or more for way cheaper when I might need it! ;)

Caporegime
I was on a 4k 60 display for a while there. Played a few games within its spec smooth limiting the frames. I got fibre bb recently so all the fps shooters were worth revisiting if I want to multiplay so I got a decent spec 1440p display high refresh too. If anything its extended the 3090 which is why there is no need to dump money on a GPU which looks like it will need a monster CPU to get that extra headroom. Best off waiting for the dust to settle and pick up the same tech in a years time or more for way cheaper when I might need it! ;)

Been on 4K\60 since battlefield 4 came out. Close to a decade now.

Associate
mm, I've found some others with the same issue, trying some chrome://flags to see if it fixes it. Only happens when chrome is running basically, especially when streaming video

chrome://flags/

Vulkan: enabled
Choose ANGLE graphics backend: enabled

seems stable so far
there is no option enabled for angle g. b. just (default/opengl/d3d11/d39/d3d11on12

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
There's been a "its only 10% faster" for the past couple of years.. then after the 4080/70 fail reveal a good chunk of them decided a 3080Ti calibre was actually about the spec you need. What lots seem to forget in all the noise and dribble is folk have been upgrading their displays like the AW OLED and realised that 10% and vram was actually handy. Just saying..

Erm.. 50% extra performance for £185 after selling my 3070 was a no brainier mate. Let’s not concentrate on that but the 10% extra vram though eh?

Also I dropped down a resolution from 4K which I was on since 2014, so like Grim you really do talk a load of crap sometimes :cry:

Exactly. Unless you are targeting high fps this resolution is not exactly hard run. He like Grim gets blinded when out on the attack like that and they make stupid statements and embarrass themselves.

They should just drop the grudge (or the axe) and move on now :D

Soldato
550w directed straight to fans

They theorise it's the efficiency of the power delivery system. Like all power delivery systems they have a point of peak efficiency and the 4090's are designed to operate closer to 600w so when the card only using 450w the power delivery components are not operating efficiently

It's a weird theory, maybe just bs who knows

It's only 2-3c temp difference but it's consistent on the card tested

Last edited:
Soldato
Bizarre 4090's run even cooler with access to 600w

If you look at the power usage charts, it's using about an extra 10% power, but it's running it through an extra 25% worth of connector, so depending on how the power delivery is setup, in 600w mode it's spreading the load more efficiently on the board probably

Caporegime
Wow guys, Babeltechreviews have put together a HUGE roundup of games tested on 3090 and 4090 including VR games (apparently SkyrimVR will be added soon) https://babeltechreviews.com/rtx-4090-performance-45-games-vr-pro-apps-benchmarked/4/

The 4090 is shockingly, disgustingly fast... generally 80-100% faster at 4k+ and a true next-gen upgrade if ever I saw one. No matter what you think of the price, this is the card to get to weather the next 2 years of unconstrained 4k and VR gaming with full eye candy. :eek: :D

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom